An Old School Catholic Message Board

Easter Vigil

White Knight

White Knight

Hello, I just want to tell everyone that this Easter Vigil I will be Confirmed into the Catholic Church, however I have a few questions about it, I understand its a long celebration/mass, but at the sametime, I'm wondering, does this depend on certian parishes and communities, which language the vigil is spoken in? Latin or English? I made a guess to myself thinking that this Vigil is going to have a mixture of English and Latin, however I could be wrong.

Do Easter Vigils around the nation and western world differ in how they are presented in language form?

[quote name='White Knight' post='1212107' date='Mar 11 2007, 03:26 PM']Hello, I just want to tell everyone that this Easter Vigil I will be Confirmed into the Catholic Church, however I have a few questions about it, I understand its a long celebration/mass, but at the sametime, I'm wondering, does this depend on certian parishes and communities, which language the vigil is spoken in? Latin or English? I made a guess to myself thinking that this Vigil is going to have a mixture of English and Latin, however I could be wrong.
Do Easter Vigils around the nation and western world differ in how they are presented in language form?[/quote]

I am guessing it will probably be mostly in English. If your parish is more traditional, there will be more Latin - lucky you :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='White Knight' post='1212107' date='Mar 11 2007, 07:26 PM']Hello, I just want to tell everyone that this Easter Vigil I will be Confirmed into the Catholic Church, however I have a few questions about it, I understand its a long celebration/mass, but at the sametime, I'm wondering, does this depend on certian parishes and communities, which language the vigil is spoken in? Latin or English? I made a guess to myself thinking that this Vigil is going to have a mixture of English and Latin, however I could be wrong.
Do Easter Vigils around the nation and western world differ in how they are presented in language form?[/quote]

First off, congratulations! :clap: Second, I'm guessing the length somewhat depends on the parish, and that it will probably be mostly in English. The parish my husband grew up in has a service of about 2 to 2.5 hours, with doing most of the readings, and my home parish has about 3 hours with doing the minimum # of readings (they also confirm about 50 people at the service). We did have some Latin as well, such as doing the Agnus Dei in Latin, the Kyrie in Greek, and some other things that I don't remember at the moment. I'm a convert, and I'm not so great at Latin. :) After the Easter vigil here, I'll let you know if things are different in the UK. :)

White Knight

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1212142' date='Mar 11 2007, 03:02 PM']First off, congratulations! :clap: Second, I'm guessing the length somewhat depends on the parish, and that it will probably be mostly in English. The parish my husband grew up in has a service of about 2 to 2.5 hours, with doing most of the readings, and my home parish has about 3 hours with doing the minimum # of readings (they also confirm about 50 people at the service). We did have some Latin as well, such as doing the Agnus Dei in Latin, the Kyrie in Greek, and some other things that I don't remember at the moment. I'm a convert, and I'm not so great at Latin. :) After the Easter vigil here, I'll let you know if things are different in the UK. :)[/quote]

Okay Thank You. :)

Ask your priest to loan you a copy of the Paschal Triduum Missalette used in your parish. This will give you a chance to better appreciate the Liturgy no matter which option your parish uses (some omit the "extra" readings :idontknow: alas.) The Paschal Triduum is so beautiful, even in English, but I hate it when they cut it short.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Pia' post='1213715' date='Mar 14 2007, 09:52 PM']The Paschal Triduum is so beautiful, even in English, but I hate it when they cut it short.[/quote]

Agreed. :) Maybe it's all those years I had with Easter literally being the shortest service of the entire year (obviously before I was Catholic), but I just love to have as many readings as possible. :)