An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hail Mary

N/A Gone

[quote]Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the lord is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women, and [b]blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus[/b], Holy Mary, mother of God, prayer for us sinners now and at the hour of our death[/quote]

Luke 11:27-28

27 * While he was speaking, a woman from the crowd called
out and said to him, "Blessed is the womb that carried you and
the breasts at which you nursed."
28 He replied, "Rather, blessed are those who hear the
word of God and observe it."

Now, classic protestant objection. Do we explain that the verse does not dismiss the womb, but rather says the message is more important? (this might not even work--could be used as an excuse to not honor the mother) typically I just confuse people by citing Luke 1:42

cried out in a loud voice and said, "Most blessed are
you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.

ok..what are your thoughts?

Our Blessed Lord does not disrespect or renounce His Blessed Mother, for it would be a violation of the Ten Commandments (Thus a sin). The Blessed Virgin in the Sacred Scriptures is written to have kept all that He said in her heart and pondered them, meaning that she certainly kept them and most likely was the first to keep them. For tradition calls her the First Christian.

Well, in any case, in the Hail Mary, the part that you emphasized says that the fruit, i.e., Jesus, is blessed. The Hail Mary says that Mary is blessed among women, but it doesn't say why.

Still, I have wondered, based on that verse, why the title of Mother of God is considered to be Mary's highest title, instead of something like First Disciple of Christ. Of course, I think it was a Church Father who said that Mary conceived Christ in her heart before she conceived Him in her womb.

[quote][b]Fr. Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary, 1859 edition; footnote for St. Luke Ch. IX, Vs. 28:[/b]
Ver. 28. Greek: Menounge, imo vero, yes indeed. Our Saviour does not here wish to deny what the woman had said, but rather to confirm it: indeed how could he deny, as Calvin impiously maintained, that his mother was blessed? By these words, he only wishes to tell his auditors what great advantage they might obtain by attending to his words. For the blessed Virgin, as St. Augustine says, was more happy in having our Saviour in her heart and affections, than in having conceived him in her womb. (Tirinus)[/quote]