An Old School Catholic Message Board

Street Corner Evangelization

jswranch

I have done some street evangelization recently in downtown Colorado Springs (Evangelical Mecca). I feel it is time for an evaluation of my efforts. Instead of, "Do you know God loves you? Would you like any prayer?"

I now want to go for, "Would you like to learn about the Blessed Virgin Mary? She is the Immaculate Conception and Mediatrix of all graces!"

Thoughts?

Help me write up a 2-minute bible study or lesson. I am thinking, "God chose her to be these things, and wants to do the same with you in your life."

i always was a fan of the question myself

In business prospecting we learn that questions led the convo

"do you know where your bible comes from"
"where do you find grace"
"why are there so many denominations"
"what makes your church the right one"

;)

All,
I am now thinking of turning my focus from Mary to the Eucharist.

"Did you know that unless you eat his flesh and drink his blood you have no life within you?"

I am curious about something (and I don't mean to be attacking or anything) but I am wondering how effective you've found street evangelism to be? Are many people receptive to it?

I only ask because I am always personally skittish of people randomly coming up to me on the street ... but that could just be me :idontknow:

thessalonian

I was thinking of setting up a little stand with posters with various Catholic doctrrines such as the papacy, baptism, communion of the saints, Eucharist, etc. etc.. scripture passages, etc. on a busy intersection or in a mall and see what happens.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1212824' date='Mar 12 2007, 09:07 PM']I am curious about something (and I don't mean to be attacking or anything) but I am wondering how effective you've found street evangelism to be? Are many people receptive to it?

I only ask because I am always personally skittish of people randomly coming up to me on the street ... but that could just be me :idontknow:[/quote]
My past successes have been scarce. I think the problem might come from two problems, one of which is my intro line to tell people

Sure, folks on the street telling strangers about Jesus can give you the creeps. I am hoping to break the mold. A few strategies is that I let them walk past me, then I ask a question/give a line. If they dont like it, the keep walking by. I try not to be very in your face or approach them.

[quote name='viking' post='1212937' date='Mar 13 2007, 09:04 AM']What about handing out rosarys? together with some info?[/quote]
As I go to the nightclub part of town, I didn't want a rosary or picture of Christ winding up on the dancefloor. I do hand out a saint card of the crucifiction and a copy of "Pillar of Fire Pilar of Truth" if I can engage someone.

I have made a few contacts and handed out a few tracts. On average, we get to pray with a stranger at a rate of about 2 an hour.

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1213014' date='Mar 13 2007, 10:49 AM']I was thinking of setting up a little stand with posters with various Catholic doctrrines such as the papacy, baptism, communion of the saints, Eucharist, etc. etc.. scripture passages, etc. on a busy intersection or in a mall and see what happens.[/quote]

Here in Colorado Springs, we have a chapel set up and manned by Franciscans (of the Pio type). They hear confessions 11 hours a day and have a noon mass.

I will try to find a picture to tape up to a building wall.

I have been active in youth politics in norway for some time, and I have learned a few tricks on what to do to make people stop and listen to you. This is just tips, its not sure they work as good as I like them to :)

1. when you want to give something away and people are just passing by in a hurry, I go just a little bit in front of them, not so that they have to stop, and say something like "here you are" or "værsågod" in Norwegian. Then people know that it is free, this should be some kind of cheep stuff, with some key facts. When you say "here you are" you should be sure to give it to them just as they are passing you, so that they don't have time to say no, this works good for me. When people have taken the pample you should say e.g "some information about the Catholic Church" or "Do you know anything about Catholics" the point is that it is a short ice breaker. Then if they stop to talk, give them more info, and possible also give them e.g a free rosary, or something that is worth more.

2. In norway we are adviced to hand out food, e.g apples and a little pamplet along, that way they will probably also read the pamplet

3. Its better to be two, and have similar clothes