An Old School Catholic Message Board

Weird Symptoms

prose

My four year old is sick.

Here is what is going on.

Friday she said her belly button hurt. Nothing Sat, Sun, Mon..

Tuesday she said her belly hurt again, started vomitting at about 10 am and continued until about 2pm. Suddenly she was fine. no pain, no vomitting.

Wednesday, she was fine.

Thurs, same as Tues. I took her to the doctor. HE got an xray and saw some blockage of her intestines, indicating she may be constipated. She puked until about 2. Came home, had a mushy mud pie (not hard or anything). Is fine.

Seems fine.

No fever. nothing. She looks a little pale. She ate lunch. She is drinking fine.

Have you ever heard of anything like this??

Is she expecting?

if she was a teenager I would assume it was a slow leaking apendisitis (sp..sorry)

as a small child, I would need to ask if she has been on antibiotics recently?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='prose' post='1214186' date='Mar 15 2007, 04:52 PM']My four year old is sick.

Here is what is going on.

Friday she said her belly button hurt. Nothing Sat, Sun, Mon..

Tuesday she said her belly hurt again, started vomitting at about 10 am and continued until about 2pm. Suddenly she was fine. no pain, no vomitting.

Wednesday, she was fine.

Thurs, same as Tues. I took her to the doctor. HE got an xray and saw some blockage of her intestines, indicating she may be constipated. She puked until about 2. Came home, had a mushy mud pie (not hard or anything). Is fine.

Seems fine.

No fever. nothing. She looks a little pale. She ate lunch. She is drinking fine.

Have you ever heard of anything like this??[/quote]

If it happens again go to the ER, and make sure they do some bloodwork and maybe an MRI or CAT scan.

She is four years old, and I am reasonably sure she is not pregnant ;)

I was thinking about apendicitis... I will take her to the hospital for sure next time it happens.

It is just so weird.

And yes, she was on a prescription about 2 weeks ago for a urinary tract infection.

apendicitis that young is weird

Anti-biotics in younger children will kill the good bacteria in the GI-tract and that can mess up many children, sometimes some worse than others.

I would take her in for a Scan of somekind. You never know what kids that age swallow and can get stuck. Thats the most likely situation.

With smaller children getting a doctor to check is the best because the child can not give a proper history. Just be safe. ;)

let_go_let_God

What about asking for an ultrasound. That might be able to find any muscle perforations or tears in tissues.

God bless-
LGLG

Not to be an alarmist, but I've had a family member die of apendicitis, and a few had become gravely ill. I'm one of the very few male members of my family that still has theirs. Pay close attention to your daughter. You can have intermittent 'attacks'. Try to keep her on a 'BRAT' diet for a few days. (banana, rice, applesauce, toast) When she is feeling sick, gently apply pressure on various places on her lower abdomen. Extreme sensitivity above where your hip bends and abdomen is often an indication. Watch her temperature which may rise. Don't be afraid to take her to the emergency room. My brother and a few of my cousins and uncles had their appendix rupture before going to the hospital which is very, very bad.

theculturewarrior

When taking antibiotics, eat active culture yogurt. It will replenish some of the good bacteria. I'm not talking about designer active cultures either. I think the traditional bacteria is Lact. Acidophilus.

Edited by theculturewarrior

She seems fine today :idontknow:

I am going to continue the gentle laxative that he put her on, but if she gets sick again, I am going to take her to the children's hospital.

I would have guessed it'd be an allergic reaction.

As for cultured yogurt when you're on antibiotics, YES. You need acidophilous to keep the good bacteria from getting killed. You can buy it in capsules or chewables, or just eat lots of yogurt if you like it. I'd imagine [i]un[/i]pasturized works better, but I don't know really. I know it's hard to come by in America, with our FDA.

Anyway, prayers for your little one!

theculturewarrior

Maybe cranberry juice would help. Apologies if I am stating the obvious. I think I heard somewhere that regular consumption of cranberry juice helps prevent UTI's.

Don't take it from us. Google the following words: medline plus. That's a more authoritative source.