An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dfw Lay Council... Blah!

dUSt

My bishop put a memo in all of the Ft Worth parish bulletins this week warning and condemning the actions of this group:

[url="http://dfwlaycouncil.org/"]http://dfwlaycouncil.org/[/url]

They organized a meeting for late this month. Our bishop basically said that it was his duty to let us know that this is NOT a Catholic organization and is not supported by the church.

It's good to see some action from the bishop. I'm wondering if he could go one step further and prohibit the guest speaker, a nun, from speaking at all in his diocese?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='dUSt' post='1215201' date='Mar 17 2007, 09:15 PM']My bishop put a memo in all of the Ft Worth parish bulletins this week warning and condemning the actions of this group:

[url="http://dfwlaycouncil.org/"]http://dfwlaycouncil.org/[/url]

They organized a meeting for late this month. Our bishop basically said that it was his duty to let us know that this is NOT a Catholic organization and is not supported by the church.

It's good to see some action from the bishop. I'm wondering if he could go one step further and prohibit the guest speaker, a nun, from speaking at all in his diocese?[/quote]
He can prevent her from speaking on any church property.

A nun takes a vow of obedience. She is supposed to be obedient to the bishop. She can't move or start a project without his permission. He can reasonably tell her that she is forbidden to speak.

Now if she follows that vow, that's a different story

His Excellency Bishop Kevin Van, I try to pray for him daily since he is my Bishop. I was actually there when “dUSt" read the memo (even though not paying close attention to him, since he was at the laptop). I thought the Bishop should impose an “interdict” (which for laity is about the same as excommunication) for those Catholics attending. Although [b]I am not the Bishop[/b] :sadder: and maybe the Bishop’s personal disapproval and showing them to be out of line with the Church is enough itself.

Regardless the group [b]seemingly[/b] ([i]I dont know if this is so[/i]) is knowingly and willingly dissenting from Catholic doctrine (namely those clearly defined) so they [b][u]could[/u][/b] be in line for automatic excommunication as Canon Law provides.

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1215359' date='Mar 18 2007, 03:05 AM']His Excellency Bishop Kevin Van, I try to pray for him daily since he is my Bishop. I was actually there when “dUSt" read the memo (even though not paying close attention to him, since he was at the laptop). I thought the Bishop should impose an “interdict” (which for laity is about the same as excommunication) for those Catholics attending. Although [b]I am not the Bishop[/b] :sadder: and maybe the Bishop’s personal disapproval and showing them to be out of line with the Church is enough itself.

Regardless the group [b]seemingly[/b] ([i]I dont know if this is so[/i]) is knowingly and willingly dissenting from Catholic doctrine (namely those clearly defined) so they [b][u]could[/u][/b] be in line for automatic excommunication as Canon Law provides.[/quote]
Woohoo, hurrah!
Got some more 'sinners' kicked out of the Catholic Religion!

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1215398' date='Mar 18 2007, 10:06 AM']Woohoo, hurrah!
Got some more 'sinners' kicked out of the Catholic Religion![/quote]

That is not the purpose of excommunication :huh: ...

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1215398' date='Mar 18 2007, 09:06 AM']Woohoo, hurrah!
Got some more 'sinners' kicked out of the Catholic Religion![/quote] :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Being a bishop is a tough responsibility, I think they'd prefer to bring stranded sheep back into the fold rather than close the gates behind them. But it's nice to hear he spoke up, God bless him.