An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestantism And The Bible

theculturewarrior

cmotherofpirl

Only the Church has the authority to interpret scripture, since she is the one to guarentee it.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1215956' date='Mar 19 2007, 04:23 PM']Only the Church has the authority to interpret scripture, since she is the one to guarentee it.[/quote]

and that right there is always the key question, even to an extent in protestantism.

desertwoman

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1215908' date='Mar 19 2007, 04:47 PM']My next question is, if there is a universal interpretation of the Bible, would you agree that this is an interpretation handed down orally from Christians who came before you, and from which other groups of Christians diverged into heresy, on issues such as predestination, OSAS, the Trinity, etc.?[/quote]

Of course there is one truth and interpretation of the Bible, and many people have distorted it. The thing that gets many people and I as well is doubt. Did someone get it wrong and allowed themselves to be speaking instead of the Holy Spirit? This is where other factions do come in as well I believe. Someone thinks that something is wrong and that we have been adhering to error. Their motives is not intended to harm, but to help. They honestly believe that they are helping people see the error of their ways because of faulty interpretations of the Bible.

Sorry if this didn't come our right, but I just finished my CHaucer class and I'm on e right now. Plus I have a paper to do tonight as well. But this paper is fun compared to my other classes. Its on suffering and suicide in Veronika Decides to Die. I'm going to add Candide in the mix as well. And proably some Faust. I'm not sure.

Not all Protestants follow the Bible.

You got those who have extra-Biblical writings...

SDA, Mormons, and JW {Yeah I know Mormon and JW isnt technically Prot}

You got those who are modernists and no longer hold a literal view of the Bible and no longer believe in its inerrancy

neo-evangelicals, Mainliners--liberal Presbys, United Methodists, etc.

You got those who have adapted the sacramentalism of Rome or continued with it..

Lutheranism, Emergent movement etc.

You have those who have elevated a leader too high and become a cult.

SDA--Ellen White, Koresh, etc.

You have those who have mixed in the occult and other false teachings

Science of Mind, Christian Science

Some who arent really "Christian" anymore

Unitarian Universalist.

Christians who stick by the Bible, , usually have agree on most basic issues.

thessalonian

Don't ya get it budge. That's just the fruits of division your speaking of. The result of men being "blown about by every wind of doctrine".

The "unity* of Catholicism is also another misnomer.

Lets compare Pelosi with people here, different beliefs and outlooks...hmmm?

Trads vs. progressives...

so forth and so on.

thessalonian

There is no unity if it is not aligned with the magesterium. That is where your arguement fails budge. Pelosi is not in union with the Church. That is clear. Anyone who denies critical issues of Catholicism such as the papacy is quite clearly not in uion as well. Do you think someone who publically and willfully supports abortion is in unity with Christ? I would sure hope not.

Such arguements as your budge are just wishful thinking to excuse the baskin robbins flavors of protestantism. The Bible calls it "every wind of doctrine".

theculturewarrior

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1215903' date='Mar 19 2007, 03:25 PM']Oh, and I havent gotten it yet. Thanks for asking!! Keep me lifted in prayer so I can get crackin on my letter.[/quote]

I will definitely pray for you. It will be over before you know it.

[quote name='Budge' post='1216372' date='Mar 20 2007, 08:30 AM']The "unity* of Catholicism is also another misnomer.

Lets compare Pelosi with people here, different beliefs and outlooks...hmmm?

Trads vs. progressives...

so forth and so on.[/quote]
I don't disagree that there are definitely theological differences among Catholics. There's no question that there have been discussions over the centuries on a range of issues. And there is room for disagreement, and for people to be in process as they come to an understanding of faith. Not to say that there aren't lines that, when crossed, mean you're definitely out of the church ... but there is room for discussion and disagreement within the Church.

We're family, and every Sunday we gather around the same table. Our discussions around the table may indicate that we're at different places on the journey, but we're still at the same table, eating the same bread and drinking the same wine. We ALL partake of the Body and Blood of Christ.

Protestants chose to leave the table, to quit the family dinner and start your own traditions. You're still family, but you no longer sit at the table. There is a HUGE difference between sitting at the table and having disagreements vs. getting up and leaving communion.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1216185' date='Mar 19 2007, 10:16 PM']Of course there is one truth and interpretation of the Bible, and many people have distorted it. The thing that gets many people and I as well is doubt. Did someone get it wrong and allowed themselves to be speaking instead of the Holy Spirit? This is where other factions do come in as well I believe. Someone thinks that something is wrong and that we have been adhering to error. Their motives is not intended to harm, but to help. They honestly believe that they are helping people see the error of their ways because of faulty interpretations of the Bible.

Sorry if this didn't come our right, but I just finished my CHaucer class and I'm on e right now. Plus I have a paper to do tonight as well. But this paper is fun compared to my other classes. Its on suffering and suicide in Veronika Decides to Die. I'm going to add Candide in the mix as well. And proably some Faust. I'm not sure.[/quote]

Catholics believe that this is why Jesus gave the keys of the Kingdom to Saint Peter. We believe that without an authority on biblical interpretation and Christian teaching, we cannot know whether or not we have the Faith that Jesus gave us, and we believe that Jesus left this authority to the Catholic Church..

desertwoman

I guess it boils down to Acts 8:30-31. Someone does have to help teach another how to interpret scripture, and it does come from people in authority... ie the apostles like Mathew, Mark, and so on.

I think 2 Peter 3:16 is the Bible's teaching on interpretation of the Bible in a nutshell:

[quote][b]Petri II; Caput III:[/b]
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are certain things hard to be understood, which the unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, to their own destruction.
[url="http://www.drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=68&ch=3&l=16&f=s#x"]http://www.drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk...;l=16&f=s#x[/url][/quote]

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1215781' date='Mar 19 2007, 06:16 AM']How can one protestant read one thing in the Bible, and another read the same thing but find it means something else, and state that both are true because they come from the Bible?[/quote]
As long as they both disagree with the Church. :blink:

[quote]Catholics believe that this is why Jesus gave the keys of the Kingdom to Saint Peter. We believe that without an authority on biblical interpretation and Christian teaching, we cannot know whether or not we have the Faith that Jesus gave us, and we believe that Jesus left this authority to the Catholic Church..[/quote]

Do you all realize your leadership has only INTERPETED SEVEN VERSES out of the whole Bible?

[img]http://www.lazyboysreststop.com/NCCB_Reply.jpg[/img]

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Budge' post='1216794' date='Mar 21 2007, 08:23 AM']Do you all realize your leadership has only INTERPETED SEVEN VERSES out of the whole Bible?

[img]http://www.lazyboysreststop.com/NCCB_Reply.jpg[/img][/quote]

Oh my. What compelling evidence. :huh:

Edited by theculturewarrior