An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do We Eat Fish

Janana8706

I was asked today why we eat fish on Fridays. I wasn't really sure how to answer. I have been told many things but am wondering the real reason. Please help
Jennifer

Catholics only eat fish and vegetables on Fridays during Lent (and lots of Catholics do this year-round). To step back, one of the important things about being a Christian is integrating your Christian beliefs into every part of your life. It's easy to compartmentalize your religion to Sunday mornings only, but true Christianity means living your faith every day, all day.

So going back to Fish on Fridays, there are two good aspects to this. First, we make a sacrifice of something small to God. In other words, we give up something we like for Our Lord, whom we love. Yes, it's a small sacrifice, but it is a sacrifice given from Love and it is always positive to give up something good for something great. Second, it enables us to keep Jesus Christ in the front our minds during the day. You have to actively remember not to eat meat on Fridays and this practices forces you to keep thinking about God all day. This is always an excellent idea.