An Old School Catholic Message Board

Small Group Usage Survey

N/A Gone

I am working on a project for my Small groups class in which I need to take a sample survey of the small group programs in various churches. If you have a couple minutes and have some information I would appreciate your help.

What is their focus and goal for groups?

What kind of support system do they use for groups and leaders?

What works and what does not work?

What studies do they recommend?

stories are appreciated. I feel with the debate table I might get very various stories and situations here. The class is convinced that protestants "do" small groups better than catholics, I would like to prove them wrong.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1217279' date='Mar 22 2007, 03:57 PM']I am working on a project for my Small groups class in which I need to take a sample survey of the small group programs in various churches. If you have a couple minutes and have some information I would appreciate your help.

What is their focus and goal for groups?

What kind of support system do they use for groups and leaders?

What works and what does not work?

What studies do they recommend?

stories are appreciated. I feel with the debate table I might get very various stories and situations here. The class is convinced that protestants "do" small groups better than catholics, I would like to prove them wrong.[/quote]

Does Landings count? It was a small group. The focus & goal of Landings is really to bring people back into the Church, or to further ground people in their faith and knowledge. It's something like an 8 week session, with 3-5 "leaders" (people who have been through the program before), a priest (usually, not always), and 5-7 (or more, but then it gets a bit large) participants. I went through it twice, once as a normal participant, and once as a leader.

The leaders, like I said, are people who have been through it before. If we needed any support, we could always meet with each other or with the priest, but their weren't scheduled meetings.

The format of the program is that it meets weekly and discusses some basics, like conceptions of God, and the Sacraments. It starts with an ice breaker of just giving a little bit of info about your week, and then on to prayer and then one of the leaders would share their faith journey. After a short food break, we would have the lesson, which was led by a different leader each week. Anyone could share their faith journey or lead a lesson if they wished, but it usually ended up being the leaders. The lesson was based upon Scripture and the Catechism, and then we'd have a discussion about it so people could really grapple with these things and understand them.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go to any other small groups at that parish before I moved, though they had several. I'm still getting settled in here, so I'll let you know what I find then. :)

Thy Geekdom Come

I think small groups are generally used for adult catechesis, and since I've never been involved in adult catechesis, I can't help you.

small groups can be anything. A group of guys who get together and go through a book together could be considered a small group. In the protestant community they are incredibly effective. Do you not use them?

probably.

imagine, "terms" would be an issue with protestant/catholic things.

Raphel, you are my age. Do you belong to any group with your church that meets together and does things. Either going through scripture, or a particular book or subject.