An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey... Catholics "stole" The Saints... Argh

Bruce S

You know, being one of those weirdo's that actually loves ALL the denominations.

[Attend Messianic Jewish congregation, Pentecostal one, study the bible with two other Protestant [one liberal, one apostate], and watch EWTN, and other Christian TV and radio]

I have come to a startling thought.

Now. PLEASE please don't "gloat"

Your oddities have STOLEN and STOPPED Protestants from studying the "Saints"

Now sit here for a sec. Let me develop this thought. It will take some prayer too, I have done it and ask that others do too.

What prompted this post, is a show last night on EWTN, Mitch Pacwa [my favorite Catholic teacher/Jesuit] was interviewing a woman, a professor at a Catholic seminary, the show was on St. Thomas Aquinas. Now, as all who are open minded know, or should know, there are wonderful teachers out there, the Catholic faith, being one of the older [not THE oldest denomination] ones, has a wealth of information, examples, things that most Protestants have been TERRIFIED to study.

Why?

Now, put a fiddler on your brain, you need to step inside our mindset, worldview, for a moment.

IF...

Those Saints were presented as MEN, pure people, teachers, writers... we would have no problem with them.

BUT....

The ELEVATION of those men/women, beyond mere Christians who lived, wrote, did, and died, into OBJECTS for veneration/prayer/intercession...

That .. to the Protestant mindset, means that [and this is for most, some obviously have no trouble putting a fiddler into this process ] by studying and going into the teachings of the "Saints" you are agreeing to the VENERATION thing.

So, because WE see the veneration of the dead, intercession of the dead, as so much a CATHOLIC THING, most Protestants are cut off from the wealth there.

DARN IT.

Maybe you don't study the Saints, because they are Catholic.

If you really loved all denominations, you wouldn't attack the Church with lies about the Church, you would actually study and read instead of [Edited by dUSt: Be nice to Bruce]

In Christ,

ironmonk

Yep. Stole Mary, too. Actually, I see it more as we were given the saints and Mary and ya'll are just to afraid to touch them for fear you may ... gasp... look CATHOLIC. Oh, the humanity.

(I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just a sarcastic person).

Bruce,

This is self-contradictory. Why would any diehard Protestant who rejects such Catholic teachings as the communion of saints, intercession and veneration want to read such writers who are in obvious promotion of these very beliefs?

I don't read much L. Ron Hubbard for the same reasons.

Well hey, you stole our Bible and mocked it by taking out 7 books...

Not only the 7 books, but also took some stuff out of the other books like Ester, and a few other ones as well.

If you really loved all denominations, you wouldn't attack the Church with lies about the Church, you would actually study and read instead of crying about long posts.

I'm here, you can't say that about too many other Protestants now can you?

I watch EWTN every night, so , your statement is fallacious, [Edited by dUSt: Be nice to Ironmonk]

I don't ATTACK you, I question sincerely.

I attack, you will know it. I'm a pretty good attacker when the occassion requires it.

Err. Many of the canonized saints died doing stuff many protestants don't like anyway (Tarsius in Antiquity, Thomas More during the Renaissance, Charles Lwaanga in Modern Times, etc.)

Since many protestants believe that all people who profess Jesus are saints and will definitly be saints in heaven, you all believe you can see them everyday face to face if you want, right?

Since all the saints that have been canonized were either Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox, wouldn't most of them not really be saints at all and are probably not in heaven in the eyes of protestants?

[Edited by dUSt: Be nice to Bruce]

[Edited by dUSt: Be nice to Ironmonk]

:lol::lol::lol::lol: u guys make dUST work...

i think it's true that because Saints were Catholic, ppl are afraid to touch em. and of course the point was brought up that these wise saints who u are unable to touch because of fear of veneration/intercession supported veneration/intercession of the saints... :cool:

I don't ATTACK you, I question sincerely.

I don't call repeating lies about what the Church teaches and trying to get us to believe them questioning sincerely.

Maybe you don't study the Saints, because they are Catholic.

If you really loved all denominations, you wouldn't attack the Church with lies about the Church, you would actually study and read instead of [Edited by dUSt: Be nice to Bruce]

In Christ,

ironmonk

That was just an observation.

:P

God Bless,

ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

NewReformation

:lol::lol::lol::lol: u guys make dUST work...

i think it's true that because Saints were Catholic, ppl are afraid to touch em. and of course the point was brought up that these wise saints who u are unable to touch because of fear of veneration/intercession supported veneration/intercession of the saints... :cool:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I found this website where lutherans recognize catholic saints with protestant saints. it also says that all members of the body of christ are saints too, on earth as well in heaven. the lutheran communions of Norway and Sweden recognize Sts. Olaf and Brigit; but this is from an evangelical church that seems to be swaying back to the traditional/catholic side.

http://www.resurrectionpeople.org/saints.html