An Old School Catholic Message Board

Owensboro

Archaeology cat

Archaeology cat

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1217405' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:04 PM']I'm from Owensboro :D: Which parish do you go to for Mass? I was raised at Blessed Mother, but I don't really like it there anymore. I go to the mall in Evansville every now and then, but that's about it. My dad can't stand hoosiers, for some reason. Are they always crappy drivers, or is it just me? :idontknow:[/quote]

I didn't want to hijack the Hoosier thread, so I just moved it here. :) I'm actually from Utica, so I sometimes went to St. Anthony's after I converted, but I usually went to St. Martin's out on Hwy 81 with my cousins (Ebelhars, if you know them). I'm definitely hitting up the Dipper when I go to Owensboro sometime between April 16-18! I might even go by Apollo to see one of my old teachers. :) So what part of the 'Boro are you from?

Oh, and I was basically only in Evansville for school, sometimes for the mall. My mom's family are huge IU fans; my uncle's license plate even says IAM4IU, or at least it used to. Don't know if he kept it. Dangerous to have in KY. :)

phatcatholic

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1217595' date='Mar 23 2007, 06:41 AM']I didn't want to hijack the Hoosier thread, so I just moved it here. :) I'm actually from Utica, so I sometimes went to St. Anthony's after I converted, but I usually went to St. Martin's out on Hwy 81 with my cousins (Ebelhars, if you know them). I'm definitely hitting up the Dipper when I go to Owensboro sometime between April 16-18! I might even go by Apollo to see one of my old teachers. :)[/quote]
haha!! it's so cool to see someone posting about things that i am so familiar with!! i never thought in a million years that someone from phatmass would make a post about the Dipper!! :lol_roll: i know some ebelhars too. one of them used to be friends with my younger brother. i'm a hardesty :cool:

[quote]So what part of the 'Boro are you from?[/quote]I was raised in a small house in the Landsdown subdivision, which is out past the GE plant, close to the golf course/country club (haha, that makes it sound like we were rich or somethin...........trust me, we werent). When I was living there the neighborhood wasn't as nice as it is now.

We moved a couple times after that. Now my parents live off of Ford Ave, right across from the Health Park. While you're in the 'boro, make sure you go to Moonlight or Old Hickory for me!!! (maaaan, i miss o'boro barbecue :sadder: )

[quote]Oh, and I was basically only in Evansville for school, sometimes for the mall. My mom's family are huge IU fans; my uncle's license plate even says IAM4IU, or at least it used to. Don't know if he kept it. Dangerous to have in KY. :)[/quote]
haha!! that's an understatement!! i basically grew up HATING IU (b/c my dad did). only within the last couple of years did i finally realize how irrational that was :unsure: i used to hate bob knight too, but since he moved to Texas Tech, i like him now :smokey:

My whole FAMILY is from kentucky. well my dad's side anyway...i love it! they still live there....lots of 'em live half way between possum trot and monkey's eyebrow, if you know what i mean. my grandparents though moved to shelbyville. :). they live on such a cool street....country lane. :). they converted from st louis fans to cincinnatti (baseball) rar. everyone in paducah's a cardinals fan!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1219725' date='Mar 26 2007, 05:49 AM']My whole FAMILY is from kentucky. well my dad's side anyway...i love it! they still live there....lots of 'em live half way between possum trot and monkey's eyebrow, if you know what i mean. my grandparents though moved to shelbyville. :). they live on such a cool street....country lane. :). they converted from st louis fans to cincinnatti (baseball) rar. everyone in paducah's a cardinals fan![/quote]

Strange enough, I have a really good idea of where that is. One of my sister's friends is from Monkey's Eyebrow, actually.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1219709' date='Mar 26 2007, 05:39 AM']haha!! it's so cool to see someone posting about things that i am so familiar with!! i never thought in a million years that someone from phatmass would make a post about the Dipper!! :lol_roll: i know some ebelhars too. one of them used to be friends with my younger brother. i'm a hardesty :cool:
I was raised in a small house in the Landsdown subdivision, which is out past the GE plant, close to the golf course/country club (haha, that makes it sound like we were rich or somethin...........trust me, we werent). When I was living there the neighborhood wasn't as nice as it is now.

We moved a couple times after that. Now my parents live off of Ford Ave, right across from the Health Park. While you're in the 'boro, make sure you go to Moonlight or Old Hickory for me!!! (maaaan, i miss o'boro barbecue :sadder: )
haha!! that's an understatement!! i basically grew up HATING IU (b/c my dad did). only within the last couple of years did i finally realize how irrational that was :unsure: i used to hate bob knight too, but since he moved to Texas Tech, i like him now :smokey:[/quote]

I can totally get some Old Hickory! Just try getting good barbecue in Liverpool! :(

I used to go to the healthpark a lot - Dr. Riherd made me for my knee, and then I ended up taking my grandfather there all the time.

I'm definitely looking forward to spending a little bit of time back there, and will have to get my cousins to drive me around everywhere. I don't think any of the Pettits will be in, but Blackstones & Ebelhars will. :)

Weep no more, my lady
Oh, weep no more, today
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home
For the old Kentucky home far away.

Edited by Terra Firma

franciscanheart

i was in owensboro and went to cracker barrel... and no, i never did have barbeque while i was there. shame, isn't it?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1219820' date='Mar 26 2007, 01:49 PM']i was in owensboro and went to cracker barrel... and no, i never did have barbeque while i was there. shame, isn't it?[/quote]

It is a shame. After all, Owensboro is the (self-proclaimed) barbecue capital of the world. :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1219709' date='Mar 26 2007, 05:39 AM']i'm a hardesty :cool:[/quote]

And I'm sure I know some Hardesty's, though I'm really bad with names. I think there were some at Apollo with me. . . :idontknow:

I'm from Evansville, as I'm guessing you saw in the Hoosier thread. I worked with a Hardesty last year at USI. Okay, that's all I've got.

hehe there's an liverpool NY that is near Utica, NY

and did you know the correct italian pronunciation of Utica is not YOU-tick-ah but ooo-ti-cah (oo as in moon)

[quote name='Raphael' post='1220130' date='Mar 26 2007, 09:18 PM']I'm from Omaha, but that's in Nebraska, so I'm sure it's completely irrelevant. :mellow:[/quote]
Hey, Nebraska is not irrelevant.

There is lots of ... flatness there.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1219941' date='Mar 26 2007, 03:32 PM']It is a shame. After all, Owensboro is the (self-proclaimed) barbecue capital of the world. :)[/quote]
I know it is. I didn't know that it's the (self-proclaimed) barbecue capital of the world but my tour guide did. Silly Hardestys.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1219942' date='Mar 26 2007, 03:33 PM']And I'm sure I know some Hardesty's, though I'm really bad with names. I think there were some at Apollo with me. . . :idontknow:[/quote]

Hi cousin! I had no trouble figuring out who this was by your new screenname. By the way, phatcatholic graduated with Jared.

There is nothing like the Dipper that I have found anywhere. I feel so deprived down here. :(

I think one of the most interesting things about Owensboro BBQ is that they have bbqed mutton. When I tell that to other people, some don't even know what mutton is normally, much less bbqed, but it is scrumptious.