An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is God Capable Of Hate?

carrdero

I found this statement on a religious forum.
[quote]God doesn't love evil. God hates evil.[/quote]
In my experience when someone usually hates something they either misunderstand it or fear it.
What does God fear or misunderstand about evil?

Is God capable of expressing an emotion that is usually designated for humans?

What would be God’s motivation for hate? What does God get out of it?

If God is capable of disliking something so much, why doesn’t God do something to affect change?

Edited by carrdero

mariahLVzJP2

[quote name='carrdero' post='1218829' date='Mar 24 2007, 06:46 PM']If God is capable of disliking something so much, why doesn’t God do something to affect change?[/quote]

God hates sin. He gave us freewill, so it is up to us to change.

thessalonian

We, like God are to abhor or hate sin. I saw the video of this big guy last week beating up this woman that he was angry with on the news. I have to say that I had a righteous anger build up in me and I know God does for such things as well. I perhaps went a bit beyond it when thoughts of my being in a room with this guy with a baseball bat in my hands just to make it as fair as it was with him, might have been my humanity going a bit too far, but yes there is a place for hate. God hates divorce the scripture tell us as well.

God would never hate people, but I'm sure He does hate some of the things we've done (let's see, the Holocaust, legal abortion, torture of prisoners, the list goes on)

There are several passages which talk about God's hatred of evil.

And couldn't you say that damnation is a form of hatred? It seems to me that hatred is a natural response to a denial of a pure gift of love. God is often described as responding to hatred with love, and we are encouraged to follow suit -- to do good to our enemies, bless those who curse us, etc. -- but there is a point when the denial is pure and complete, when there is no turning back from the rejection of the gift.

For anybody who question weither or not God can hate, I leave you with scripture, not philosophy.

[quote name='Romans 9:10-16' date=' KJV']And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but [b]Esau have I hated.[/b]

What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.[/quote]

God's words, not mine.

Hatred or anger can involve no fear, no ignorance, or misunderstanding. Although, we as humans suffering from original sin normally express emotions of hatred and anger in such conditions so we thus try to place those same limitations on God.

I have often been told that God's emotions are just anthropromorphic. I dont buy that for a second.

I understand two things here.

1.) A flaw of the human condition is that we do not love properly. Human life is designed for us to re-learn how to love properly.

2.) Human emotions are a fractured version of the emotions are are God. When it says we are made in His image I assume it is probably based in part on emotions.

3.) emotions themselves are morally neutral. Either good or bad can come from them.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1219162' date='Mar 25 2007, 01:45 AM']I have often been told that God's emotions are just anthropromorphic. I dont buy that for a second.

I understand two things here.

1.) A flaw of the human condition is that we do not love properly. Human life is designed for us to re-learn how to love properly.[/quote]
Revprodeji, I couldn't help but get the feeling that you may possibly have a good understanding of how humans are to love properly. If this is correct, could you share your thoughts with us?

I strive to know and to act on that Ma'am/sir. But If I did that properly then I would be a saint.

The theology I cite is early augustine.

If you want to ask specific questions I would be more than willing to reflect what I have been taught.

God, in being a pure Spirit, does not experience any 'emotion' - for which a physical nature is required. When Scripture attributes words to God, such as having eyes or hands, it does so merely to help us understand God's relationship with us (and his attitude towards evil); not to be interpreted literally.

Anyway, we know that God in being immutable (that is, changeless) cannot undergo any emotions, as this would signify a change in His being (an accidental change admittedly, but since God has no accidents, this cannot be the case anyway).

It's always important to consider that when Scripture discusses God, it does so through language; and language, usually applied in the context of human beings, has human connotation to it; when language is used to describe God, we must think beyond what it entails when applied to human beings.

Hirsap

I dont want to get into this too much, at least not for a month. But outside of the jargon, what exactly in a practical sense comes from the idea that God does not "experience" emotions.

1.) Emotions does not require a physical nature. We have a fallen sense of emotions, I would argue that God has the fulfilled ideal of emotions. Not a lack of emotions. "physical nature" isnt something God cant have. He is metaphysical. Beyond physical. So we can not limit God. In limiting him here we can "conceive" of something greater. Which is a break away from classic theology. (God being that which nothing greater can be conceived)

2.) hands and eyes and such are anthropromorphic. But the numerous verses that speak of regret and God changing his mind and emotions is not something that can be put under the rug as anthropromorphic. If you want to exegete this in depth I am willing to engage in that.

3.) Emotions, and arguably experience does not change immutability. Immutability is unchanging, meaning stronger and beyond change because of perfection. It does not mean he must avoid any type of change because of risk of change. That wouldnt be immutability, it would be isolation.

4.) I agree with language, but I do not believe it projects a proper biblical understanding.

No offense sir, this is a big issue for me.

Revprodeji,

No offence taken. Admittedly, no, I am not a biblical scholar, nor do I say I am a trained theologian. Thanks for the clarifications. Since this is however in the Debate Table, I make the following thoughts nonetheless.

(It is true I may have obtained an innacurate understanding on the points you had to offer.)

1) I suppose what I was getting at is that we must think beyond how ''emotion'' applies to human beings, in order to understand the term in relation with God. Emotions in the human context - related to the passions - do in fact have a physical nature connected to it - through chemical causes etc (sorry if I sound materialistic). Yet certainly not with God.

2) & 3) When Scripture says that God 'changes his mind' I say this cannot be literally interpretted; for as you assert, God is the fullness of being, of which no greater can be conceived, so any change (objectively) in His Being is incompatible with this. Arguably, this use of language may not be on the same plain as anthropomorphism; but nevertheless, the similarity lies in this: they are (Divinely inspired) human ways of describing God's interaction with us; and how we are to comprehend God's work in history. To pin a literal meaning serves to deny what can even be philosophically known about God, i.e.: God does not literally change, as this goes against His fullness in being. God's acts do not effect any change in him whatsoever. God does not undergo 'experience' humanly speaking in being omniscient. However experience would apply to God in how He is the fulness of Being, and therefore, the fullness of experience is with Him (which He does not gain, but is one with Himself, i.e: God is love, and experiences and comprehends love to an infinitely perfect degree)