An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heresy

Hirsap

Hello,

I am familiar with the term heresy; meaning one holding views contrary to dogma of the Church.

1) However, I do wonder just when it is appropriate to use the term. Are all 'dissidents' heretics? For instance when in a discussion lets say about someone teaching/holding questionable views, one doesn't want to use the term 'heresy' in description of them, in case that is not entirely correct.

2) Moreover would the following constitute heresy: not acknowledging life begins at conception (i.e.: sympathy to 'abortion') just as an example?

Thy Geekdom Come

"Heresy is the [i]obstinate post-baptismal denial[/i] of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him." -CCC 2089

As I understand it:

1. Obstinance means that one persists in denying or doubting a truth of the faith beyond reasonable explanation. For instance, it is only "material heresy" to deny a truth of the faith without realizing that it must be accepted. Once one knows that it must be accepted but continues to deny it, that person commits "formal heresy" because the person is obstinate (has rejected it knowingly out of refusal to acknowledge it as true). Where doubt, and not denial, is concerned, one enters heresy when they have received a reasonable explanation and good reason to believe (which should satisfy their doubt), but still willingly choose not to believe, but instead continually doubt and feed that doubt. Therefore, not all dissenters are formal heretics, because not all dissenters know better, but all dissenters are at least material heretics. However, since it is not sinful (evil, but not sinful, since sin requires that you know you're sinning) to be a material heretic, it is not pastorally correct to call material heretics "heretics," but rather to correct them on the matter of faith in a non-judgmental way. It is also not the place of the faithful to determine who is or is not guilty of the mortal sin of heresy.

2. If a person knowingly and willingly (which we can't judge) rejected the truth that human life begins at conception or that the human person is precious and has a right to life, that person would be a formal heretic.

God bless,

Raphael