An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reception Of Communion

N/A Gone

The issues of particles is of very real concern regardless if you like Communion disturbed in the mouth, on the hand, or through “plucking” (currently not permitted in the United States). The Vatican released an entire document on this matter that I left a link to, anyone here is free to read such a document that very clearly writes on this matter. To dismiss the issue of particles for intention could almost be deemed heretical, this is not the position or ideology of the Church.

Traditions of Man prevent us from reaching the Lord more perfectly while the traditions that we speak of, Communion in the mouth, help us come closer to Him. But the verse does not describe how the Apostles received, seeing that they were receiving something that they truly believed to be the Lord’s body and blood I would image they would kneel feeing entirely unworthy of such a blessing. In addition to it would match up with the cultural understanding of that time.

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1219607' date='Mar 25 2007, 09:42 PM']The issues of particles is of very real concern regardless if you like Communion disturbed in the mouth, on the hand, or through “plucking” (currently not permitted in the United States). The Vatican released an entire document on this matter that I left a link to, anyone here is free to read such a document that very clearly writes on this matter. To dismiss the issue of particles for intention could almost be deemed heretical, this is not the position or ideology of the Church.

Traditions of Man prevent us from reaching the Lord more perfectly while the traditions that we speak of, Communion in the mouth, help us come closer to Him. But the verse does not describe how the Apostles received, seeing that they were receiving something that they truly believed to be the Lord’s body and blood I would image they would kneel feeing entirely unworthy of such a blessing. In addition to it would match up with the cultural understanding of that time.[/quote]

Never dismissed particulate matter - just suggested in be placed in proper context and proportion. What I intended to suggest that we should, instead of worrying about the physical aspects of Communion, focus on how we are allowing communion with the Lord to transform us. Concern for the physical properties will come as a product of sacramental transformation.

If I remember correctly, the issue about receiving in the hand is particles of the host being spread all over the floor... that doesn't really sound too good... I prefer receiving in the mouth... btw what is 'plucking'?

I suppose I should add my 2 cents.

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1219620' date='Mar 25 2007, 10:15 PM']Never dismissed particulate matter - just suggested in be placed in proper context and proportion. What I intended to suggest that we should, instead of worrying about the physical aspects of Communion, focus on how we are allowing communion with the Lord to transform us. Concern for the physical properties will come as a product of sacramental transformation.[/quote]

I agree, basically, with what you've said, Vat. I would add that it isn't bad to pursue devotions, such as reception on the tongue, it just shouldn't be mandatory. Yes there were many centuries where it was mandatory, but their were many centuries before that where it wasn't. It is most definitely Christ in body, blood and soul and no longer bread and wine, and thus should be treated with reverance. It seems that forcing people into an exact mold of an expression of reverance is unnecessary.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1219649' date='Mar 25 2007, 10:40 PM']If I remember correctly, the issue about receiving in the hand is particles of the host being spread all over the floor... that doesn't really sound too good... I prefer receiving in the mouth... btw what is 'plucking'?[/quote]

Do you know how few crumbs the average Cavanaugh host throws? When I purify a ciborium that has held 400 hosts, there are fewer than half a dozen discernible crumbs. Suggesting that crumbs are "all over the floor" just doesn't harmonize with what I've seen. And what's to prevent the "crumbs" from blowing off the communion plate used to catch them under the communicant's mouth? I've never seen a "processional follower" for these vessels. And what if a microscopic particle adheres to our lips with receiving or even purifying the vessels? And what if a particle falls from a purificator when transferring it from the counter to the wash basin?

At some point, we have to ask ourselves is this what Christ intended in the institution of the Eucharist: obsessive-compulsive fanatics who run around concerned about the tiniest fragment of the Blessed Sacrament that might have fallen but can't even been seen? We need to put the Eucharistic species into their proper sacramental context: they are the real presence [i]par excellence[/i], to be sure, but they can't consume us to the point they obscure the real presence of Christ in other places, ie, the table of God's Word and in the faithful people of God assembled. To do so is to lose sight of the fullness of grace contained in the Eucharist.

I've never heard of plucking....I'm curious about that.....it doesn't seemed to be be mentioned in any document I can't find. Unless its another name for a recognized form....

All this being said, you receive your way, and I'll receive mine.

"Plucking" sounds like self-communicating... in other words picking the Host up and popping it in one's mouth. Is that what it is?

“Plucking” can be found in some places in Canada according to my Parish Priest and I have also heard from other sources, but I admit I do not recall where else (so maybe my mind is playing tricks on me about the other sources). Plucking is where the Priest in the newer rite of the Holy Mass (Novo Ordo) and pronounce “the Body of Christ” and the communicant will respond “Amen” then will take the Consecrated Host from the hand of the Priest and receive...

I agree that we should focus on the fruits of Holy Communion but let us recall in context what the Church has instructed for Holy Communion in the mouth, “it is part of that preparation that is needed for the most fruitful reception of the Body of the Lord.” But to the issue that it shouldn’t be a big issue the Church writing and quoting from the early Church says about the issue of particles, “you have allowed to drop, think of it as though you had lost one of your own members.'”

The Holy Church of God should always seek to glorify God and while someone suggested that there should not be a “mold” but this is exactly what the Church always seeks when it comes to decorum. For the Church wishes people to revere in “holy fear” our Blessed Lord and to love Him above all else. It is written that if we could see the glory of Christ hidden by the Sacermental Veil that we would be powerless to approach (Like Saint Peter and John the Apostles when they only saw a glimmer of His glory) and for this reason He chose to remain hidden under the appearances of bread and wine.

Think about this folks, Jesus said to his apostles TAKE and eat...ie pick up the bread and chew it up and eat it.

He didnt pass it little pieces to 12 of them demanding they not touch a crumb.

or tell them, make sure you dont chew because that is MY BODY.

Are you trying to tell me too, they didnt drop a crumb either?

This is where some of your man-made traditions run off the rails.

[quote name='Budge' post='1219844' date='Mar 26 2007, 08:48 AM']Think about this folks, Jesus said to his apostles TAKE and eat...ie pick up the bread and chew it up and eat it.

He didnt pass it little pieces to 12 of them demanding they not touch a crumb.

or tell them, make sure you dont chew because that is MY BODY.

Are you trying to tell me too, they didnt drop a crumb either?

This is where some of your man-made traditions run off the rails.[/quote]They were His Apostles and Priests, so it makes sense that they could handle the Consecrated bread and wine truly being His Body and Blood. But it does not say they "picked up" anything or the manner He gave it. In most of the Scripture verses it says “disciples” when regarding to the Last Supper, not “apostles.” We simply only think of the Apostles at the Last Supper.

If it is truly God then would we not be concerned how the consecrated Host is handled? It is simply anti-Catholic and unchristian doctrine that is being proposed to oppose the True Presence as far as I can see in this discussion with regards to what is in the quote. Although, nothing in the Sacred Scriptures forbid tradition from forming but rather Saint Paul commands the people to keep to the holy traditions ([i]moreover because the New Testament did not yet exist in a collection[/i]).

Moreover, the few times “traditions” are spoken lowly of by our Blessed Lord is when they are created to “burden” the people and they have no purpose other than to burden or hinder their relationship with Almighty God. A good example is when the scribes accuse our Lord of wrong doing letting His apostles and follower eat with unclean hands which He then calls this tradition a tradition of man.

But at the same time there are things our Lord mention such as the “Chair of Moses” (foreshadowing the Chair of Peter) which is no where mentioned in the Old Testament but is kept as Tradition until it was written in the New Testament.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat