An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Novelty Of Catholic Confession

jesussaves

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1221668' date='Mar 28 2007, 09:53 PM']The attacks just never end huh? I truly believe every church and every religion has problems with the catholic church. debating catholics is pretty much at the top of every protestants list. Ah the joy of the fullness of Truth.[/quote]
I wouldn't say that, from my days as a Protestant. I was too busy arguing the merits of sprinkling vs. dunking as forms of baptism, or whether or not Calvin was right in his assertion that we have no free will. Debating Catholics really never crossed my radar until I was much older.

homeschoolmom

Really? See, now in my days as a Protestant, we spent time figuring out how to tell more people about Jesus, where to send missionaries and how to best teach our young people. :mellow: Fighting with Catholics was not on the radar, too, until I was much older.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]I believe Christians should confess sins to one another but this was not supposed to be one guy hearing 100s of people sins, and never sharing his own.[/quote]

Budge, priests go to Confession too.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1258649' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:33 AM']Budge, priests go to Confession too.[/quote]
:yes:

I was on a military base with my brother earlier this year at Mass and the priest talked about confession. He's Irish, with a pretty strong accent, and I guess priests have to say they are priests when the confess, so he said that he could never have an anonymous confession because there weren't any other Irish priests in the diocese. :hehehe:

RezaMikhaeil

Originally in the early church people confessed their sins aloud for the whole world to hear, it was changed to private confessions because it caused problems [gossip, etc]. The scriptures say to confess your sins to one another...

Its impossible for Budge to grasp the concept of "father of confession" just as it is monasticism because the condition of her heart.

Reza