An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Some Religions Too Mystical?

carrdero

Regarding docrine, practices and scriptures, religions usually rely on a primitive tome as their source for instruction, faith and religious wisdom but there are still many practices that religions still proclaim and trust upon; hands on/off healing, the recognition and expectation of miracles, speaking in tongues, the dressing in robes and religious uniform, the incorporation of holy visions, ancient rituals, the burning of incense, the visitiation of angels, and mentions of Holy Spirits or Ghosts even some churches and temples are adorned in a style that is medieval or passe. One could argue that relgion has matured appropriately that they are excused from some of the more primitive practices (for example animal sacrifices) but what of the other rituals? Many of these examples may not seem apparent or relevant in today’s modern society but religions still adhere to them firmly. Even the hopeful return of Christ seems to be a leaning towards nostalgia when times were more magical or spiritual.

What would be the reason some religions still reflect this attitude even though mystical experiences are not exceedingly abundant?

Does anyone thing think these thoughts and practices attract or repel non-religious people towards religion?

Does religion have to be completely updated and overhauled to reflect our modern society or will it stay frozen in a particular moment, slide backwards in time or flourish in nostalgia?

[quote name='carrdero' post='1222286' date='Mar 29 2007, 04:36 PM']Regarding docrine, practices and scriptures, religions usually rely on a primitive tome as their source for instruction, faith and religious wisdom but there are still many practices that religions still proclaim and trust upon; hands on/off healing, the recognition and expectation of miracles, speaking in tongues, the dressing in robes and religious uniform, the incorporation of holy visions, ancient rituals, the burning of incense, the visitiation of angels, and mentions of Holy Spirits or Ghosts even some churches and temples are adorned in a style that is medieval or passe. One could argue that relgion has matured appropriately that they are excused from some of the more primitive practices (for example animal sacrifices) but what of the other rituals? Many of these examples may not seem apparent or relevant in today’s modern society but religions still adhere to them firmly. Even the hopeful return of Christ seems to be a leaning towards nostalgia when times were more magical or spiritual.

What would be the reason some religions still reflect this attitude even though mystical experiences are not exceedingly abundant?

Does anyone thing think these thoughts and practices attract or repel non-religious people towards religion?

Does religion have to be completely updated and overhauled to reflect our modern society or will it stay frozen in a particular moment, slide backwards in time or flourish in nostalgia?[/quote]
Good questions.

I use to belong to one of those religions, and let me tell you something, the reason why these churches are flourishing is it makes you feel good about yourself. It is the taste and see church.

People want something more these days. We want to feel good about ourselves. What we need to do is forget all the feel good stuff, and focus first on being broken before God.

I try to read the 10 commandments daily, and even thinking about them brings me to tears because of my sinfulness. But as I mourn for the sin that I have lived my life through, I can also say, I am thankful that I am written in the Lambs book of life.

When I think about heaven, I get excited. It is such a powerful promise. I get to spend all of eternity before the throne of God and worship the Lamb who was slain before the foundation of the world.

Mateo el Feo

A lot of interesting quesions. Let me see if I can give my personal thoughts on them.[quote name='carrdero' post='1222286' date='Mar 29 2007, 04:36 PM']Regarding docrine, practices and scriptures, religions usually rely on a primitive tome as their source for instruction, faith and religious wisdom but there are still many practices that religions still proclaim and trust upon; hands on/off healing, the recognition and expectation of miracles, speaking in tongues, the dressing in robes and religious uniform, the incorporation of holy visions, ancient rituals, the burning of incense, the visitiation of angels, and mentions of Holy Spirits or Ghosts even some churches and temples are adorned in a style that is medieval or passe. One could argue that relgion has matured appropriately that they are excused from some of the more primitive practices (for example animal sacrifices) but what of the other rituals?[/quote]I guess the obvious question is, "Which other rituals?"

It happens that my Bible study is currently reading Exodus, so there's plenty of detail in terms of Israelite ritual worship (especially chapters 25-31).

[quote name='carrdero' post='1222286' date='Mar 29 2007, 04:36 PM']Many of these examples may not seem apparent or relevant in today’s modern society but religions still adhere to them firmly.[/quote]Some may not. But, rituals exist because we are creatures of habit. Rituals, can be an effective tool in bringing us closer to God.

[quote name='carrdero' post='1222286' date='Mar 29 2007, 04:36 PM']Even the hopeful return of Christ seems to be a leaning towards nostalgia when times were more magical or spiritual.[/quote]I hear what you're saying. But, I think Christians would do well not to wish for "magical or spiritual" signs. Note Our Lord's response to the scribes' and Pharisees' request for a sign [url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/matthew/matthew12.htm#v38"](link)[/url] :[quote name='Matt 12:38-39']Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to him, "Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you." He said to them in reply, "An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet.[/quote]

[quote name='carrdero' post='1222286' date='Mar 29 2007, 04:36 PM']What would be the reason some religions still reflect this attitude even though mystical experiences are not exceedingly abundant?[/quote]I don't really know. I wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions about how "exceedingly abundant" mystical experiences there are. I think people are generally quiet about them. I don't think people have a great desire to be ostentatious about these experiences, for a variety of reasons. This is not to say that there is a shortage of writings on mystical experiences from Church saints, when reviewing its 2,000 year history.

[quote name='carrdero' post='1222286' date='Mar 29 2007, 04:36 PM']Does anyone thing think these thoughts and practices attract or repel non-religious people towards religion?[/quote]Which: ritual or mystical experiences? If you're talking about rituals, I think that it's a mixed bag, but generally people are attracted to ritual.

[quote name='carrdero' post='1222286' date='Mar 29 2007, 04:36 PM']Does religion have to be completely updated and overhauled to reflect our modern society or will it stay frozen in a particular moment, slide backwards in time or flourish in nostalgia?[/quote]This is another case where the neither extreme provides a solution. Pure adaptation (e.g. Unitarian Universalism) has almost no appeal. It adapts to the extreme, and I think it is correctly seen as standing for nothing; and therefore, of no value. Pure "frozen religion" atrophies, and ceases to speak to individual believers. This is why the Catholic Church follows St. Paul's advice to be "all things to all people" (from [url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/1corinthians/1corinthians9.htm#v22"]1 Cor 9:22[/url]), while remaining constant in its Faithfulness to the Gospel (cf. 1 Cor 9:23).

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1222663' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:01 PM']Yes

Theres a reason FALSE religions are called MYSTERY {MYSTICAL} Babylon.[/quote]
Actually, Budge, the reason the Scriptures speak of Babylon as a mystery is that they were trying to let the reader know that "Babylon" was code for something else, i.e. a mystery meaning something else. It was not that they were talking about a mysterious religion, but about a religion whose name was mysterious to some.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Budge' post='1222663' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:01 PM']Yes

Theres a reason FALSE religions are called MYSTERY {MYSTICAL} Babylon.[/quote]

We speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom. Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness.