An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jpii Miracle

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

discuss.

[quote]JOHN PAUL II'S 'MIRACLE NUN' TO STEP INTO THE LIMELIGHT
Received Thursday, 29 March 2007 14:39:00 GMT
PARIS, March 29, 2007 (AFP) - A French nun at the centre of the Vatican case for beatifying pope John Paul II prepared on Thursday to step into the limelight after nearly two years of secrecy.
Sister Marie-Simon-Pierre, 45, who works as a nurse in a Paris maternity clinic, has testified to the Vatican that she was miraculously cured of Parkinson's disease after praying to the late pope.
Her identity had been kept secret "due to the seriousness of the investigation that was conducted with great serenity and out of respect for the private life of the nun," said Archbishop Claude Feidt of Aix-en-Provence in a statement.
Sister Marie-Simon-Pierre is due to hold a news conference in the southern city of Aix-en-Provence on Friday before traveling to Rome.
There, she is to take part in the process that will culminate with the beatification of the late pontiff, which would put him on the first step to sainthood.
A year-long Vatican investigation was completed last week into the testimony provided by the nun who had suffered from Parkinson's disease since 2001.
Father Luc-Marie Lalanne, who lead the investigation, said the final decision as to whether a miracle had occurred rested with Pope Benedict XVI.
Sister Marie-Simon-Pierre is a member of the Congregation of Little Sisters of Catholic Maternity Wards from Puyricard, near the southern city of Aix-en-Provence.
She has been working at the Sainte-Felicite clinic in Paris since late 2006.
The French daily Le Figaro, who spoke to some clinic co-workers, described her as a "dynamic and discreet little nun".
The newspaper quoted excerpts of her testimony in which she described how in April 2005, her health had deteriorated, and she was being "ravaged by the disease week after week. I felt myself weakening day after day and I could not write... or if I did, it was barely legible."
After the death of John Paul that same month, her congregation began to pray to the late pope -- who also suffered from Parkinson's disease, a degenerative disorder with no known cure -- to intercede.
In June, Sister Marie-Simon-Pierre asked to be relieved of her duties but was told by her mother superior to stay the course and to write the name "John Paul II" on a piece of paper. The words were illegible.
Later that evening, she retired to her room and said she "felt compelled to write as if someone were telling me 'pick up your pen and write'".
"The writing was clearly legible," she said. That night, she recalled waking up "stunned that I had been able to sleep. My body was no longer in pain."
The nun attended mass that morning and said that after emerging from church: "I was convinced that I was cured".
She stopped treatment and on June 7, a neurologist who had been treating her for the past four years told her that "all indications" of the disease had disappeared.
At the end of 2006, she left Puyricard for Paris where she joined the team of nurses at Sainte-Felicite clinic.
Convincing evidence of a miracle -- usually a medical cure with no scientific explanation -- is essential in the beatification process.
The Rome diocese's website carries dozens of testimonials from individuals claiming cures at the hands of the pope, but to qualify as a miracle the recovery must be sudden, complete and permanent -- as well as inexplicable by doctors.[/quote]

hoosieranna

I think miracles are pretty cool. Being non-Catholic also means you don't get to claim some of the cooler and occasionally wilder (stated with all respect) things about Christianity.

dairygirl4u2c

I do admit Catholics seem to have more interesting miracles, and more, perhaps even as a percentage.

I have a friend who had his back healed at a non-Catholic healing service. He was borderline Christian, new. But, very devoted with the Christianity that he had. I wonder if they just get less coverage than in the Catholic Church.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that non-Catholics have no system in place to determine the legitimacy of their miracles. So there should be much more skepticism about them.

[quote name='prose' post='1256386' date='Apr 25 2007, 07:52 PM']I think that non-Catholics have no system in place to determine the legitimacy of their miracles. So there should be much more skepticism about them.[/quote]

Amen! Like the case of my mother's friend who was "healed" of her blindness by a roving evangelist and faith healer. She could barely see, even with very thick glasses. She threw her glasses away as he shouted "Hallelujah, you're healed," but the next day she asked my mother to help her find her glasses. It was all her own fault that she didn't get healed, y'know, she just didn't have enough faith. :topsy:

I want to see the X-rays and lab tests and the doctor(s)' before-and-after medical reports. There are too many Benny Hinn's -- a known fraud -- around. But TBN keeps showing him in action and ppl keep believing him. Sigh. He's a money maker. Of course, he spends it all on himself, but that's beside the point, huh? He deserves those expensive clothes and 7-bedroom houses and Mercedes cars and to stay in the best hotels. Like he says, God wants him to be rich. :P:

Likos

[url="http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=Parkinsons+and+remission&btnG=Google+Search"]PARKINSONS DOES HAVE CASES OF FULL MEDICAL REMISSION[/url]

which is why we set up extensive medical reviews to determine if there is any medical explanation. it doesn't prove definitively that it was a miracle, as doctors are not perfect, but it's a very honest and thorough testing of whether something miraculous has actually occurred before we will accept it.

well considering this is all over the papers already, hasnt anyone said hey wait a minute parkinsons has remissions?

So does MS by the way, Ive known several people with that illness.

[quote name='Budge' post='1256460' date='Apr 25 2007, 07:28 PM']well considering this is all over the papers already, hasnt anyone said hey wait a minute parkinsons has remissions?

So does MS by the way, Ive known several people with that illness.[/quote]

Of course Budgie. The miracle has not been officially attributed to JPII yet. Its being investigated. If its attributed to the Holy Father, it will be scrupulously done. Also most remissions are only temporary. Symptoms usually return within weeks or months (which hasn't happened here)

But it is compelling isn't it?

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1223080' date='Mar 30 2007, 01:14 PM']I do admit Catholics seem to have more interesting miracles, and more, perhaps even as a percentage.

I have a friend who had his back healed at a non-Catholic healing service. He was borderline Christian, new. But, very devoted with the Christianity that he had. I wonder if they just get less coverage than in the Catholic Church.[/quote]

God takes care of everyone, catholics and non-catholics alike, and in the same degree.

It would be an arrogance to believe that catholics get more miracles; like saying God 'loves us more'. <_<

However, it is also my firm belief that the state of the person being healed is just as important in a miracle as the intercessor (in this case JP the Great). That being said, and being myself catholic, one who follows the Church which in my belief holds the Truth, is more likely to be receptive of a miracle than someone who does not follow the Church.

Finally, in my humble (or idiotic, you choose) opinion, number crunching when speaking about God is at most a snicker to the MostHigh. We cannot validate nor find any Truth in God's actions with statistics. A miracle is a miracle regardless towards whom it is done, or in what circumstance. All miracles are one of God's ways to speak to the world, and we should pay attention.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1256578' date='Apr 25 2007, 11:07 PM']It would be an arrogance to believe that catholics get more miracles; like saying God 'loves us more'. <_<[/quote]
:shock:

You're saying God [i]doesn't[/i] love us more? Sheesh. I wish someone told me that BEFORE I converted.

:P:

[size=1]seriously I think you're right[/size]

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1256488' date='Apr 25 2007, 09:08 PM']Of course Budgie. The miracle has not been officially attributed to JPII yet. Its being investigated. If its attributed to the Holy Father, it will be scrupulously done. Also most remissions are only temporary. Symptoms usually return within weeks or months (which hasn't happened here)

But it is compelling isn't it?[/quote]

Some remissions can extend to years in all honesty. But what is compelling is the difference between a remission and a total disapearance of a disease.

Short of being an expert, (ok, actually pretty darn far from being an expert), remission means a certain disease is in a 'restive state', but does not 'reverse' overnight to a point where symptoms and ill effects are as though they never occured in the first place. From my limited knowledge, it seems obvious to me this is no case of a mere remission. (don't you think the doctor who treated her for four years would have thought of this? I mean come on...)

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1256581' date='Apr 25 2007, 11:12 PM']:shock:

You're saying God [i]doesn't[/i] love us more? Sheesh. I wish someone told me that BEFORE I converted.
:P:
[size=1]seriously I think you're right[/size][/quote]

Ever watch the 'Church Lady' on SaturdayNightLive?

Church Lady;
"Well here's a letter from Thomas asking 'Why do you act the way you do, who do you think you are... God's favorite?'"

ChurchLady turn to the camera;

"Well Thomas, if I'm not God's favorite let God strike me down with lightning right this very instant."

ChurchLady waits a while.

ChurchLady;
"Well, I'm glad we put this issue to rest. Now on with our first guest...."