An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fellowship, At What Cost?

carrdero

One of the main appeals to belonging to a religious organization is the idea that you are surrounded by people who share your faith, hopes and ideas. A chance to form strong binds with like-minded members who are out to achieve the same goals and strive for a common reward and to develop long lasting friendships but are they real relationships?

Sometimes this comraderie may come at a price and in some cases create sacrifice.

My father used to tell me that you are in school to learn and not to make friends.
Could the same be true for religious institutions?

Can someone actually be involved in a religious movement without getting involved with other members? Is the relationship with GOD more important to someone than the relationship with the flock?

Is the value of fellowship more important than family ties and friends outside of religious activities?

If one is disfellowshipped or becomes an ex-member can a religious member still keep in touch with those they worshipped with?
Does fellowship equal friendship?

Should one’s established relationships end because we do not believe the same way or because we may have transgressed against the organization?

Well, in a Catholic/Christian church, ideally the relationship with God should be mirrored in relationships with people, and I think church should be the first place we figure out how to actually love one another as Christ loves us.

But, your relationship and commitment to God should always be greater than you commitment to family and friends. Jesus says as much on more than one occasion to people seeking to follow him, and I know people who have sacrificed a lot in terms of personal relationships in order to follow.

The keeping in touch with those you're no longer in fellowship with is going to depend on the group. I still keep in touch with people at churches I've attended, even though I am no longer Protestant. But some groups don't allow that (I'm thinking of certain Amish sects).

I think in choosing to leave a group, though, you have to recognize that following what you believe to be true can have collateral damage on relationships/fellowship, and that sometimes it will result in a friendship ending forever.

Am I getting at what you're wanting to talk about? :idontknow:

Intersting. Myself would say that your relationship with a 'religion' is secondary to your relationship with God. I will have to ponder "My father used to tell me that you are in school to learn and not to make friends.
Could the same be true for religious institutions?" in terms that replace school with religous institution.

As far as continuing relationships if you change, you have to be open if those relatoinships are truely detrimental to your primary relationship with God. Only if you can say they are really and significantly detrimental should the secondary relationships be terminated.

Edited by Anomaly

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1223779' date='Mar 31 2007, 10:03 AM']Intersting. Myself would say that your relationship with a 'religion' is secondary to your relationship with God.[/quote]I don't think one could have a "relationship with a religion." Maybe you mean, "having a relationship with co-religionists". If that is what you meant, I would agree. In fact, Holy Scriptures teach us to love God first and love neighbor (not just co-religionists) second.

Religion is simply a set of beliefs related to God, so I don't see how someone could properly prioritize religion and God.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1223773' date='Mar 31 2007, 08:50 AM']Am I getting at what you're wanting to talk about? :idontknow:[/quote]
Yes, this was a fine post. Thank you for your response.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1223779' date='Mar 31 2007, 09:03 AM']Intersting. Myself would say that your relationship with a 'religion' is secondary to your relationship with God. I will have to ponder "My father used to tell me that you are in school to learn and not to make friends.
Could the same be true for religious institutions?" in terms that replace school with religous institution.

As far as continuing relationships if you change, you have to be open if those relatoinships are truely detrimental to your primary relationship with God. Only if you can say they are really and significantly detrimental should the secondary relationships be terminated.[/quote]
With the father example I believe he was referring to priorities. The same priority may be used in an example of someone's profession. With a religious organization one could be there to learn and to worship. I'm sure some of us has have encountered people who are difficult to get close to or leave immediately after the service is over.