An Old School Catholic Message Board

Walt Disney...

Phoenix Reborn

hey some people aren't happy unless they boycott every little thing.. (cough cough) like my grandfather

See, there's a problem with boycotting Disney. You boycott them you have to boycott everything cuz Disney either owns it or has a part in it somehow. And as for those actor scandals, those were committed by actors who happened to be employed by Disney for a movie, Disney didn't make them do it. It was the actors involved in the scandals, not Disney.

Personally I've grown up with Disney my whole life and I love the movies from when I was younger.

[quote name='onathing1' post='1227237' date='Apr 2 2007, 01:53 PM']See, there's a problem with boycotting Disney. You boycott them you have to boycott everything cuz Disney either owns it or has a part in it somehow. And as for those actor scandals, those were committed by actors who happened to be employed by Disney for a movie, Disney didn't make them do it. It was the actors involved in the scandals, not Disney.
Personally I've grown up with Disney my whole life and I love the movies from when I was younger.[/quote]

I think movies like [i]The Priest[/i] and [i]Dogma[/i] were [b]definitely[/b] Disney's doing, not the actor's fault.

But the only scandals that were brought up had to do with the actors and their beliefs. I realize that that was wrong of Disney to do, however no one talked about that, they talked about actors, not Disney.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Megz' post='1228041' date='Apr 2 2007, 09:55 PM']disney corrups children into happy ending fairy tales. I HATE that. Children NEED to read the real little mermaid, ad nasium.[/quote]

What about the real Bambi? The one where the rabbits talk about being eaten by an owl, and are like, "That's just the way it is."

[quote name='Megz' post='1228041' date='Apr 3 2007, 12:55 AM']disney corrups children into happy ending fairy tales. I HATE that. Children NEED to read the real little mermaid, ad nasium.[/quote]

Wow...are you being serious? I don't see how happy ending fairy tales are corrupting, they are anything but that. I read the real little mermaid when I was younger and I almost died. In Disney movies there is usually some type of tragedy, usually the death of a parent or what not, and then at the end it's happy. They usually show that good can come out of bad.

hoosieranna

Frankly, I'd rather not have my kids (if I have any) read the original, unexpurgated Sleeping Beauty. Happy endings are fine for a little while.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1227369' date='Apr 2 2007, 04:43 PM']I think movies like [i]The Priest[/i] and [i]Dogma[/i] were [b]definitely[/b] Disney's doing, not the actor's fault.[/quote]

true that. That's why I dont like Disney. They've proven a disrespect for the Catholic Church time and time again, as well as disdain for the moralities that many true Christians hold dear.

fairy tales to me are part of culture and shouldn't be messed with. If you have to make a happy ending then make up your own story. I was deeply mortified when I fould out what Disney has soley done with our culture. They've taken moralistic fairy tales that were ment to give children lessones on death, life and honesty and turned them into something with a happy ending. In some cases they've re-written history!

The moral of the little mermaid is supposed to be that you do not sacrifice youself to woo a man. She dies becuase she gave everything to a man, gave everything for earthly love and persuits. But the moral of the disney movie, perhaps, if you do something wrong (giving up your voice/identity) you can marry prince charming and everything will be better.

Disney has unnecessarly gratified the situation of Pocahantas and Anastisia, who's real lives in no way mirrored the lives of their disney counterparts. "Spirit" was an unfounded attack on the culture of early Americans, and a horrible glorification of the indian culture. (The indians were practically vegitarian!!! As part indian I HATE being misrepresented.) They skankified women in Aladin, (which may be historically true, but isn't in the legends) and made him into a woosy unshure character while duly masaccring the legends of the far east, especally the legend of the 40 theives. Snow White is somewhat close, back when Disney still had tact, and Cinderella, too, is not to far from some versions, but in some culture's versons of Cinderalla is the youngest child (no step sibilings) or has to flee her home after her mother dies in order to grow a bit older in order to marry her father (and all that entails). ICK!

I'm not saying I'd tell the actual stories to little kids, but I'm definatly not going to fill their heads with anti-culture nonsence, which in my opnion, disney is. They rob the fairy tales and morally based stories from other cultures and turn them into a happy ending sing along. There is better stuff out there.

I would, however, let them watch completely original happy ending shows like "rock-a-doodle" "legnd of nymh"toy story", "oliver & company" and "monsters, inc." which are happy ending movies that are completely made up.

[quote name='Megz' post='1228339' date='Apr 3 2007, 12:38 PM']The moral of the little mermaid is supposed to be that you do not sacrifice youself to woo a man. She dies becuase she gave everything to a man, gave everything for earthly love and persuits. But the moral of the disney movie, perhaps, if you do something wrong (giving up your voice/identity) you can marry prince charming and everything will be better.[/quote]

Ok, not only does the Little Mermaid kill herself in the real story, but she kills the prince as well.

[quote]Disney has unnecessarly gratified the situation of Pocahantas and Anastisia, who's real lives in no way mirrored the lives of their disney counterparts. "Spirit" was an unfounded attack on the culture of early Americans, and a horrible glorification of the indian culture. (The indians were practically vegitarian!!! As part indian I HATE being misrepresented.) They skankified women in Aladin, (which may be historically true, but isn't in the legends) and made him into a woosy unshure character while duly masaccring the legends of the far east, especally the legend of the 40 theives. [/quote]For the record, FOX made Anastasia, not Disney. And as for Pocahontas, I'm part Indian as well and did not take offense to the movie.

[quote]Snow White is somewhat close, back when Disney still had tact.[/quote]

And in the real Snow White the evil step mother seduces the dwarves.

[quote] Cinderella, too, is not to far from some versions, but in some culture's versons of Cinderalla is the youngest child (no step sibilings) or has to flee her home after her mother dies in order to grow a bit older in order to marry her father (and all that entails). ICK![/quote]Read the real story of Cinderella, it's called Ashputtel and it's not like that.

[quote]I would, however, let them watch completely original happy ending shows like "rock-a-doodle" "legnd of nymh"toy story", "oliver & company" and "monsters, inc." which are happy ending movies that are completely made up.[/quote]

Oliver and Company is based off of Charles Dicken's 'Oliver Twist', but you don't have a problem with them changing that.

Look, I'm all for letting kids read the real version....but not until they're older. They don't need to know of the pains of life when they're 8.

Edited by onathing1

oliver and company, however "based" off of oliver twist, is still done with cartoon dogs and not boys. I think while it has some leaping off points, on the whole it is imaginative.

As far as cinderella: this [url="http://www.northern.edu/hastingw/cinderella.htm"]http://www.northern.edu/hastingw/cinderella.htm[/url] may be an intresting article

And as far as culture its "Spirit: stallion of the cimiron" that I have a problem with. I don't like pochahantas becuase its historically innacurate.

They don't need to know the "pains of life" when they are young, but they certnially don't need to be fed drivel.