An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dateline's Sexual Predator Show

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Mary-Kathryn

What's important is that Chris Hansen brought this subject out in the open. He showed that the everyday "respectable" guy could be the one trying to sexually abuse kids...and these guys have every irrational reason in their minds for doing so.

The fact that some of these guys are aware of this show but still do it anyway, clues you in to how determined they are to get at the kids. That's scary. The fact that some of them deny, blame others, and make excuses, shows their mindset and its' scary. As long as Chris Hansen and law enforcement can get some of these guys off the street, I don't care how it's done. I watch because it's important for me as a parent to know what's out there, how they operate and seduce these kids, and what I should tell my kids.

If these guys are embarrassed and humiliated on national TV, tough. How many kids did they do this to before they were caught? Let them cry, it ain't bothering me.

[quote name='thedude' post='1227065' date='Apr 2 2007, 12:27 PM']I don't like it. What these men are doing is disgusting and I doubt anyone disagrees, but should we make an embarrassing spectical of it on TV? I feel the same about courtroom TV shows or anything similar. Don't people just watch to laugh, judge, or hate the people on the screen? Maybe Dateline's show is a deterrent, I don't know... I don't get it. :idontknow: Am I off the mark on this?

Edit: Just a note, I used to think this stuff was funny so my position comes from a changed viewpoint.[/quote]

Edited by Mary-Kathryn

I feel bad for the families of these men. How humiliating for their wives, and their children. Not to mention that, although the evidence is overwhelming, these men are not criminally prosecuted yet, so I think there is something wrong about that too.

I also think that it isn't BORDERLINE entrapment. I think it IS entrapment. I think that is wrong also.

I think the show is interesting, but something about it just [i]feels[/i] wrong.

Pontifite 7 of 10

That dude is like my hero, the host on "To Catch a Predator".
I want to do that when I am older and not an actually target.
I want to be part of Perverted Justice and bust these sickos, like a good American Citezen.
Thats my dream...

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='prose' post='1228797' date='Apr 3 2007, 06:08 PM']I feel bad for the families of these men. How humiliating for their wives, and their children. Not to mention that, although the evidence is overwhelming, these men are not criminally prosecuted yet, so I think there is something wrong about that too.

I also think that it isn't BORDERLINE entrapment. I think it IS entrapment. I think that is wrong also.

I think the show is interesting, but something about it just [i]feels[/i] wrong.[/quote]

I disagree. NOBODY forces those men to go in chatrooms ask 13 year old girls to have sex. Do you think the decoys are the only ones in those rooms getting propositioned? What about all the other kids online getting groomed by perverts. ? If they are dumb enough to ask for it, show up at a kids house with presents and booze, they deserve jail.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1228984' date='Apr 3 2007, 08:51 PM']I disagree. NOBODY forces those men to go in chatrooms ask 13 year old girls to have sex. Do you think the decoys are the only ones in those rooms getting propositioned? What about all the other kids online getting groomed by perverts. ? If they are dumb enough to ask for it, show up at a kids house with presents and booze, they deserve jail.[/quote]
Yeah it is not entrapment.

Entrapment would be persuading someone to commit a crime who is otherwise unwilling to commit the act in question. These guys are obviously willing to engage in the act in question. Police merely present the opportunity for them to take positive steps toward commission of the crime.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I don't disagree with the bait and hook method or sending them to jail, but I don't like putting them on TV to be laughed at (as I know this is a reason people watch). I can see how this can help notify people of how child predators are not easy to pick out on the surface, but I do not know if that is enough to justify the TV show. I think we all know this stuff happens and that parents should monitor and talk to their kids about this stuff, so the TV show isn't really contributing in that regard. I don't know, something does not feel right. It's like they are making a spectical of their being caught. It may not be intentional, but when people tune in just to laugh at these guys, it's not good.

Mary-Kathryn

Yeah, it's a good thing these guys get humiliated and laughed at...but I think you are wrong about the laughing part. I think if anything people get enraged. Do not feel sorry for the criminal, feel for the victim. Chances are very high, this is not the first time these guys did this. If you notice in many of the transcripts, they jump right into the sexual talk. These guys are pros at doing this kind of thing, not nervous, unsure men.

If their families leave them, good. If they lose their jobs, good. At least they didn't get at some poor 12 year year old kid and destroy her/his life. That's the bottom line.

[quote name='thedude' post='1229032' date='Apr 3 2007, 11:29 PM']I don't disagree with the bait and hook method or sending them to jail, but I don't like putting them on TV to be laughed at (as I know this is a reason people watch). I can see how this can help notify people of how child predators are not easy to pick out on the surface, but I do not know if that is enough to justify the TV show. I think we all know this stuff happens and that parents should monitor and talk to their kids about this stuff, so the TV show isn't really contributing in that regard. I don't know, something does not feel right. It's like they are making a spectical of their being caught. It may not be intentional, but when people tune in just to laugh at these guys, it's not good.[/quote]

[quote]en·trap·ment /ɛnˈtræpmənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[en-trap-muhnt]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the luring by a law-enforcement agent of a person into committing a crime.[/quote]

I would say that these men [i]are[/i] lured.

I am not defending the perverts, I am just saying that there must be a better way.