An Old School Catholic Message Board

"oh My God" A Mortal Sin?

rosco22

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1229388' date='Apr 4 2007, 06:59 AM']"Goodness!" That's what I usually say when I'm startled or shocked.

It took me less than a week to break myself of saying, "Oh my God." I was fifteen. I just said it because everyone else was saying it. I hadn't realised how wrong it was to invoke God's name over some a spillage of orange juice. My method was to pray about it, savour the beauty of using His name in prayer, and then realising that I didn't want to say it in any other way. Ever.[/quote]

[quote name='iggyjoan' post='1229520' date='Apr 4 2007, 12:14 PM']say stuff like "coagulated milk PUFFS!" when you're angry. the cheesieness (no punn intended) will cheer u up.
at least it cheers me up.[/quote]

:lol: I say stuff like "coagulated milk AND CRACKERS!" Until a couple of years ago I was still saying "Oh my God." But like Cathoholic Anonymous, it only took me like a week or two to break that habit. I started with saying "Oh my Gosh" because I wasn't catching myself til mid-sentence. Eventually that seemed like it was still too close to taking the Lord's name in vain and I started saying stuff like "Oh my lanta" or other creative, non-offensive things.

Now that I've stopped myself from saying things like that, I'm trying to break my sister of the habit. I point it out to her every time she says "Oh my God" by saying "Oh your what?" and she goes :unsure: "Gosh?"

If I could only get her to say "Oh my lanta" or something instead...

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='Phoenix Reborn' post='1229529' date='Apr 4 2007, 12:19 PM']I usually just say 'blast' or 'holy crud.' I don't say 'oh my gosh' a whole lot...[/quote]

Hahah! BLAST! ... I like that. :lol:

My friend and I say "holy canoli" or "holy hannaford."

Phoenix Reborn

[quote name='Phoenix Reborn' post='1229529' date='Apr 4 2007, 09:19 AM']I usually just say 'blast' or 'holy crud.' I don't say 'oh my gosh' a whole lot...[/quote]

And also 'holy smokes!' or just 'smokes...'

cmotherofpirl

When I say "O my God" I am referring something to God that has come to my attention,
such as car accidents etc. I consider it a prayer. THe same as saying "Lord have mercy".
They are the beginning phrase of a prayer.

I have a friend who, instead of any cuss word (not just taking the Lord's name in vain), says, "Booger!"

I say 'Fudge!', or 'Darn', or so on. But (just a suggestion) when you catch yourself saying OMG, you could say "Blessed be the Name of Jesus/God both now and forever."

Ora et Labora

[quote name='ironmonk' post='1229219' date='Apr 3 2007, 11:53 PM']It is good that you are catching yourself, so you are not giving full consent....

But at the same time, it is important to remember that using the Lord's Name in vain is worse than lying, murder, adultery, etc...

[b]St. Matt 22:36 [/b]
"Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?"
[b]37 [/b]He said to him, "[color="#FF0000"]You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.[/color]
[b]38 [/b][color="#FF0000"]This is the greatest and the first commandment. [/color]
Our society has done a very good job of brainwashing us into thinking words are just combinations of letters and are powerless.
[b]St. Matt 12:36 [/b]
[color="#FF0000"]I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak. [/color]
[b]37 [/b][color="#FF0000"]By your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.[/color]"
Words carry much power. In the Old Testament days we would be stoned to death for even saying the Name of God.

There is a great evil that fills our tv's and radios... the first commandment is constantly being broken.

These things help me think about what I say more before I say it. I hope these verses can help you remember and maybe help others too.

God Bless... Prayer, Confession, and Perseverance bro,
ironmonk[/quote]

oh thank you! i was wondering about this myself.

Using God's name in vain is not a mortal sin if you are trying to break the habit.

A good idea which helps me, is to come up with something specific which you will say instead.

Ash Wednesday

...Oh...
[size=7][color="#FF0000"][b]BOB SAGET!!!!![/b][/color][/size]

[img]http://www.voote.com/images/00014/Reg.1430.1.jpg[/img]

My mom said the other day that she had the spit scared out of her. That's the closest I've ever heard her come to cussing ...

I usually go with "omg" (the letters themselves) or some combination of "carp"(oh carp, CARP, what the carp, I caught a carp... oh wait, thats fishing)