An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Problem With Yoga

Aloysius

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1229496' date='Apr 4 2007, 10:37 AM']Thanks for the alerts... Next time use these :busted_red:
Not a big fan of yoga myself. But I'm not a big fan of any kind of exercise.... The one and only time I even did "yoga" was the day I found out I was pregnant with HStot. I wanted to assume the "cat" position and curl up for a nap on the mat. That was torturous.

I don't exactly have a problem with "stretching class" but why does it have to be "yoga" if you are stripping off all the Hindu elements and trying to Christianize it? It would be like saying that Protestants wanted to pray the Rosary... but they didn't want to use a rosary (too Catholic) and they weren't going to pray "Hail Marys" (ditto), but they were going to reflect upon the life of Christ. Well, that's fine. It's not praying the rosary though...

Why not call it "Stretching to Christian music" or something... "Christian Yoga" is an oxymoron in my book.[/quote]
I agree ... although I would never go to a class called "stretching to Christian music."

Al, you seem to be assuming that the motions of yoga are inseparable from the mental intent/participation in it. But I think that it is quite possible to separate the action from the intent and have the same body motions mean entirely different things. For example, I can swing an axe using the same arm motions either aiming at a log I'm chopping or at a person's head. The motion is the same, but the aim is different. I don't see any problem with engaging in the motion with a pure aim -- in fact, I think that it can provide tangible benefits as Cathoholic states.

Well, while I do agree one must approach yoga with the respect it deserves (and many people don't), I practice kundalini yoga and do benefit from it. Admittely, I cannot do the "Breath of Fire" technique, because it irritates my asthmatic lungs. So, whatever kind of "state" they say you are supposed to enter upon practicing I never do....But, the simple meditations are calming (I have a highly anxious personality). There is no invocation of any other God, I simply empty my mind and take deep breaths.

<serious comment>I think Al is saying its analogous to ouija boards in opening yourself up to unintended consequenses.</serious comment>

<stupid comment>And I thought it was because of the heartburn!</stupid comment>
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/takeuaway/yogaflame3.jpg[/img]

Edited by scardella

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1229419' date='Apr 4 2007, 10:19 AM']<Nerd Alert>
Karate=Japanese, Tae Kwon Do=Korean.
</Nerd Alert>[/quote]

ah wrong.

Tang Soo Do is Korean karate. Ask Chuck Norris. :)

It is NOT Tae Kwon Do or Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo .

Archaeology cat

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1229634' date='Apr 4 2007, 07:02 PM']ah wrong.

It is NOT Tae Kwon Do or Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo .[/quote]

What about Rex Kwan Do? :lol_roll:

Okay, I couldn't resist. I did take Tae Kwan Do before screwing up my knee, though. And I'd love to find something that would help me become more flexible and everything. Is Pilates different from yoga? Seriously, I don't know a lot about it.

Phoenix Reborn

I've got two older brothers that're blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do... :ninja:

Edited by Phoenix Reborn

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1229711' date='Apr 4 2007, 01:38 PM']Is Pilates different from yoga? Seriously, I don't know a lot about it.[/quote]

I was going to ask the same thing. Do you think pilates would have any of these "unintended consequences?" ...because I really like pilates.

[quote name='scardella' post='1229593' date='Apr 4 2007, 11:44 AM']<serious comment>I think Al is saying its analogous to ouija boards in opening yourself up to unintended consequenses.</serious comment>[/quote]
Yeah, I get Al's point.

But I'd argue that the actions of yoga are more analagous to the ax situation I mentioned earlier than to ouija. When you see someone holding a plastic thingamabob over a board with letters, there aren't a whole lot of ways that can be intended aside from being open to the occult. But the poses involved with yoga can be performed independently from the meaning assigned them by Hindus. There needs to be a distinction made between the intent and the act. There are legitimate health benefits (both physical and mental) that stem from going through a range of yoga poses over a period of time. There's no legitimate benefit (that I can conceive of) relating to messing around with a ouija board.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1229634' date='Apr 4 2007, 02:02 PM']ah wrong.

It is NOT Tae Kwon Do or Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo .[/quote]I think you forget the <double nerd alert> tags. :)

JesusFreak84

If we're going to say it's OK to divorce the religious aspect of yoga from the physical, then I don't want to hear anyone crying "sacralige!" if you see someone praying a Rosary to "improve finger circulation" or some junk like that. :scratchhead:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Budge' post='1229424' date='Apr 4 2007, 08:40 AM']Aloy you may be sitting alone on this one.

I cant tell you how many times Ive posted against yoga and even karate {Tai Chai etc} with dozens of outraged Catholics who probably take classes in both.

Better be careful, they may think you are not OPEN enough and ACCEPTING of other religions.[/quote]

He aint alone sister. :smokey:

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1230092' date='Apr 4 2007, 08:19 PM']He aint alone sister. :smokey:[/quote]

I'm pretty wary about this one also. Goona keep my eye on this convo for a bit...

Edited by Sacred Music Man

hoosieranna

[quote name='Budge' post='1229424' date='Apr 4 2007, 08:40 AM']OPEN enough and ACCEPTING of other religions.[/quote]
:huh: She put those two words together?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1229844' date='Apr 4 2007, 03:48 PM']I think you forget the <double nerd alert> tags. :)[/quote]
I just like to see the facts straight.