An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pelosi

musturde

[url="http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2422660.ece"]http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americ...icle2422660.ece[/url]

What do yall think of what she's done? I'm personally mad about how democrats in office are trying to go against Bush and still talk to Syria.

KnightofChrist

Shocking to say the lest, the Troops need funding, yet she feels need to visit a know supporter of the insurgents in Iraq which kill our troops.

It's not just that. It's that we've decided against talking to Syria for political reasons. They're being jerks and doing a lot of interfering in such countries as Lebanon and Iraq. If our president decides not to talk to Bashar al Assad, who is she to go over there, against his will, and make a fool out of the president?

Edited by musturde

Mateo el Feo

I doubt that any red-blooded Lebanese is happy with Pelosi's trip.

I don't know what the Pelosi allies are saying, but let me play the devil's advocate. I think the main defense of her trip is, the US is keeping a line-of-communication with Syria. Communication is good.

Now for the negative: Every two-bit dictator is going to see another confirmation that the US is split in two, and that we can be played against eachother. If party "A" doesn't give you the right treatment, go to party "B". Dictators generally outlast Democrats and Republican staying in power. Time is on their side. What does it say in the Gospel of St. Matthew?[quote]Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand."[/quote]Maybe Speaker Pelosi didn't read that line of Scripture...:(

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1230715' date='Apr 5 2007, 01:19 AM']Well, they didn't have to go to all these lengths to do that ...

:mellow:[/quote]
Well that must make it all okay now, doesn't it? Which foolish act by Bush justifies Pelosi undermining US Diplomatic policies while the US is at war, Iraqi civillians are being killed by the dozens daily, and thousands of US men and women are in harm's way?

Oh yeah. Bush did not meet JP-II's judgement of Just War and started it. So now, anything that is done to politically discredit Bush, even if it means more Iraqi citizens and US soldiers are killed by IED's or chlorine bombs because those who wish to have a different form of government in Iraq than one the Iraqi's voted for are murdering for political purposes, all blame and culpability are Bush's responsiblity. All's fair in war and politics. An enemy of your enemy must be your friend.

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1230972' date='Apr 5 2007, 06:31 AM']Well that must make it all okay now, doesn't it? Which foolish act by Bush justifies Pelosi undermining US Diplomatic policies while the US is at war, Iraqi civillians are being killed by the dozens daily, and thousands of US men and women are in harm's way?

Oh yeah. Bush did not meet JP-II's judgement of Just War and started it. So now, anything that is done to politically discredit Bush, even if it means more Iraqi citizens and US soldiers are killed by IED's or chlorine bombs because those who wish to have a different form of government in Iraq than one the Iraqi's voted for are murdering for political purposes, all blame and culpability are Bush's responsiblity. All's fair in war and politics. An enemy of your enemy must be your friend.[/quote]
:rolleyes: oh come on. Don't get your undies in a twist.

I meant (in tongue-in-cheek fashion) that such behavior on the part of Pelosi was not necessary to show Bush's foolishness.

I in no way meant to imply that her actions here were appropriate or proper. The U.S. has in places means of developing and promulgating foreign policy. Pelosi's actions undermine our voice in the world, which is unfortunate even for those who believe that our current foreign policy is carp. Consistency is important, and being divided here is, as mateo pointed out, a problem. If the sole purpose of this junket was to discredit the current administration and show Bush's foolishness, then that makes it even less admirable. We've already discussed in another thread the sad fact that our Iraq policy is becoming dominated by politics. If this was indeed politically motivated (as is almost certainly true) it was a poor exercise of judgment ... and in reality shows HER foolishness.

Groo the Wanderer

She is a Fifth-Columnist. simple.

Interested only in one thing - herself. Wants all the cameras to be looking at her.

:devil:

Sorry. I know that's what you probably meant. At my core, I'm a bleeding heart conservative. I'm really bothered by the incessant US bashing and partisan politics while our soldiers are dying by the thousands, the Iraqi's are dying by the hundred thousands, and hearing news reports that maybe a million Iraqi's will die if their 'Country' is abandoned by the US and sprials into civil war / anarchy. It's the foolishness of the human race, Americans, Christians, Muslims, Catholics, Shiites, Sunnis, Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, Liberals, Syria, Iran, etc.

The US is extremely powerfull and can bring stability to Iraq if we sent more troops and didn't hamstring them with politics. The US kept a military presence in Japan, Germany, and elsewhere in Europe for decades after WW-2 and didn't take over Counties. For the sake of Iraq, and other countries, Christians need to figure out what is morally acceptable and practical. Since when did the UN become the 'bastion of moral correctness? Politicians don't face bullets or fire them. Some people won't stop unless they are dead, politics are meaningless and powerless at times. Isn't one of the moral princles of Just War proceeding with the war to bring it to a conclusion?

catholicinsd

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1232655' date='Apr 6 2007, 05:15 PM']She committed a felony and should go to jail.[/quote]

If she should be in jail then so should your happy Republican Congressmen too.

She violated the [url="http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000953----000-.html"]Logan Act[/url] plain and simple. Will she be charged with it? She should but probably won't.