An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medical Explanation For Virgin Birth?

Era Might

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Justin (Wiccan)' post='1247042' date='Apr 17 2007, 12:43 PM']I think it is a grave mistake to try to rely on scientific evidence for issues of faith: science is a profound and fruitful method of inquiry into natural phenomena, but the very nature of science makes it impossible for science to comment on the supernatural, save to disprove claims of the supernatural. A case in point would be those Christians who look to science to :prove" a Young Earth Creationist scenario. Many of them have been caught in fraudulent research, questionable analysis, and even outright fabrication of evidence or outright lies to try to force the evidence that exists to conform to their preferred interpretation.

A splendid case in point is the doctrine of Transubstantiation: to make a long story short, science can only evaluate what Catholic Doctrine would call the "accidental properties" of the Host and the wine, for science is helpless to identify the "spiritual" substance. (Now, I must admit that I do not accept the doctrine of Transubstantiation--I simply use this as an example.)

If one accepts the virgin birth, one should simply accept it as the Mystery that it is. Looking for a scientific explanation would, to my mind, cheapen the Mystery to the point that it is no longer a Mystery at all.[/quote]If you make me agree with you one more time, I think I'm going to complain to the moderators. :lol_roll:

Justin (Wiccan)

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1247526' date='Apr 17 2007, 09:45 PM']If you make me agree with you one more time, I think I'm going to complain to the moderators. :lol_roll:[/quote]

I'm so sorry, Mateo--I'll start making ridiculously false comments about the Church just so you don't have to agree with me. ;)