An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sacrifices And Easter...

Tony

is it proper to make personal sacrifices during the 50 day Easter Season? I sorta feel lost.. after sacrificing for so long.. I would like to do things here and there

Edited by Tony

I imagine it would entirely depend on the sort of personal sacrifice being made.

If you have taken up something like the practice of getting up extra early weekday Mass, or extra prayer, or doing service for the poor, I don't really think that would be contrary to the nature of the Easter Season. These are, after all, intrinsically good things to do, and it's always laudable to want to grow in holiness and service to God.

However, something like more severe mortifications might be inappropriate; I'm not sure.

[quote name='Tony' post='1237961' date='Apr 10 2007, 01:59 PM']is it proper to make personal sacrifices during the 50 day Easter Season? I sorta feel lost.. after sacrificing for so long.. I would like to do things here and there[/quote]

Haha, I know how you feel. After going so long with only meat at one meal except on Fridays (on which days there is no meat at all, no matter what time of year) and Sundays (on which days there is no abstinence at, no matter what time of year) it feels really strange eating a ham sandwich for lunch.

lately I have been finding myself mindlessly browsing though this and that on the web.. so for that reason, taking time off would be good , I think :) and put my focus elsewhere.

Edited by Tony

That sounds like a fantastic idea! I cringe to imagine just how much more I could accomplish with a little less time spent online. :)

Thanks! I had my first "No computer" day Wednesday.. I really should have these days more often.. maybe once a week or so. It's amazing how I get sucked into this thing. this defiantly does not compromise the Easter Feast.. maybe just the opposite :)

[quote name='Tony' post='1241270' date='Apr 13 2007, 05:44 AM']Thanks! I had my first "No computer" day Wednesday.. I really should have these days more often.. maybe once a week or so. It's amazing how I get sucked into this thing. this defiantly does not compromise the Easter Feast.. maybe just the opposite :)[/quote]

That's great! Yes, I also find that taking time away from distractions can really help me to actually grow in my faith.

I hope you can keep it up! :D:

[quote name='Tony' post='1241270' date='Apr 13 2007, 07:14 AM']Thanks! I had my first "No computer" day Wednesday.. I really should have these days more often..[/quote]

That's awesome!