An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beautiful Spanish Crucifixes

Chiquitunga

Chiquitunga

The Discalced Carmelites in Buffalo make these beautiful dramatic crucifixes, a traditional they've kept going from their Mexican roots.

This one is at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Byzantine Catholic Church, in New Mexico. Click on "Icon Corner" on the left panel.

jesuscru.gif

"This magnificent cross depicting the suffering Lord Jesus Christ was handmade by the Carmelite Nuns of Buffalo New York. It was brought to New Mexico by a series of "little miracles" and has become a focal point for people in distress."

Wow ... sadder.gif

They make smaller ones too ..

Possibly the Carmelites in Ada Parnell also make them (the first foundation from Mexico, from which the Buffalo Carmel came). Here's one in the Ada choir.

carmelite20420photos20ols0.jpg

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The Discalced Carmelites in Buffalo make these beautiful dramatic crucifixes, a traditional they've kept going from their Mexican roots.

This one is at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Byzantine Catholic Church, in New Mexico. Click on "Icon Corner" on the left panel.

jesuscru.gif

"This magnificent cross depicting the suffering Lord Jesus Christ was handmade by the Carmelite Nuns of Buffalo New York. It was brought to New Mexico by a series of "little miracles" and has become a focal point for people in distress."

Wow ... sadder.gif

They make smaller ones too ..

Possibly the Carmelites in Ada Parnell also make them (the first foundation from Mexico, from which the Buffalo Carmel came). Here's one in the Ada choir.

carmelite20420photos20ols0.jpg

The Carmel in Alexandria also makes Crucifixes. Our soon to be postulant had one made which is bringing with her. I think it is the same size as our "professed" crucifixes--3 feet! go to www.gloriouscrown.org and scroll down. She has a photo.
In our monastery once a Sister moves over the Professed wing she is given the large crucifix for her cell. Over the years they have been damaged, broken, etc. They are still available but very expensive! Something like $200-300 dollars.
It would be nice if when we need more we could get them from Carmel instead.

God bless you!
SMCatharine

Chiquitunga

Oh wow, the Alexandria Carmel makes them too. That's great that they've carried on this tradition from Buffalo. I bet Brooklyn will be making them too, if they don't already.

Actually, I couldn't get to the site - www.gloriouscrown.org .. oh it's here at www.gloriouscrown.com .. Oh wow, yeah it says she had it made at Alexandria. This is one of the smaller ones. This is incredible ...

fix_0001.jpg

The most beautiful crucifix I have EVER seen is the one in my av. I was told it was made by a company called "Fiat" but I can't find any info on the web about that company. Does anyone know if it's still around?

I think the crucifix in the colonnade at the Shrine was made by these Carmelites; at least, it looks very similar to this style :)

Chiquitunga

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1238829' date='Apr 11 2007, 11:38 AM']The most beautiful crucifix I have EVER seen is the one in my av. I was told it was made by a company called "Fiat" but I can't find any info on the web about that company. Does anyone know if it's still around?

I think the crucifix in the colonnade at the Shrine was made by these Carmelites; at least, it looks very similar to this style :)[/quote] Yeah, I was wondering if yours might be one of the ones made by these Carmels. I've never heard of this company called "Fiat" either ... hopefully, you'll find it.

These are really incredible crucifixes. I have a beautiful crucifix on my wall in my room, but its has the most tiniest marks of Blood. I always think I would like to paint it how the Buffalo Carmelites had it ..

Chiquitunga

Another picture from the soon to be postulant's site ..

[center][img]http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/1002/crucifix0001tb8.jpg[/img][/center]

cathoholic_anonymous

I'm looking for a crucifix at the moment. I have one that I inherited from my grandmother, a beautiful sold silver heirloom that has been in our family for quite a while now, but the body of Jesus isn't clearly defined. I'd like a wooden crucifix to hang on my wall, with the wounds painted in lovingly. Does anyone know where I could order a small crucifix like the ones in these photos? (Remember I live in Britain - I don't want to pay a small fortune in postage.)

Chiquitunga

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1243233' date='Apr 14 2007, 06:10 PM']I'm looking for a crucifix at the moment. I have one that I inherited from my grandmother, a beautiful sold silver heirloom that has been in our family for quite a while now, but the body of Jesus isn't clearly defined. I'd like a wooden crucifix to hang on my wall, with the wounds painted in lovingly. Does anyone know where I could order a small crucifix like the ones in these photos? (Remember I live in Britain - I don't want to pay a small fortune in postage.)[/quote]

Hi! Oh, I really wish I could tell you a place to find these in the UK ... I'm sure something like this must be made over there .. But also, I wonder if you might be able to order something from Spain, as it's not too far from you ... Maybe you could write the Buffalo Carmel to ask if they know. There may be a Carmel in Spain that makes these too. Otherwise you might ask how much the shipping would be .. Actually I emailed the one who got this crucifix from the Alexandria Carmel, and it was $80 .. But I wouldn't mind buying it at that price because it's supporting their community, and also I'm sure it takes a lot of work just to complete one. I hope you're able to find one.

cathoholic_anonymous

I've found a new Catholic shop in my home area. Apparently it's the biggest one in Lancashire. Hopefully I will find something there. :)

Chiquitunga

Here's an interesting [url="http://www.si.edu/mci/santos/EngDevotionalSculpture.htm"]article on Spanish devotional sculpture[/url], with reference to St. Teresa. This statue of Our Lord is so realistic .. I remember in that movie [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088246/"]Teresa de Jesus[/url], how she was so moved by that little statue of Christ suffering. This reminds me of a most beautiful statue in the Buffalo Carmel's public chapel of Christ seated with the Crown of Thorns ...

Chiquitunga

Actually the Buffalo Carmelites are no longer taking orders on these, as they have a huge back order list. But the Alexandria Carmelites still may be - possibly Ada Parnell & Brooklyn too. I'll have to write ..

+

It is so interesting to see these crucifixes. They are so "real", very European. In most of America, it seems the corpora are entirely "sterile", i.e. no sign of the Precious Blood. I remember the first time I saw a corpus with the Precious Blood: It was lifesize, in Italy at Santa Croce. At first so off-putting because of the shock, it became very powerful, very emotional. I am encouraged that these nuns are perpetuating the devotion to our crucified Lord in this way.

Edited by Veritas

Chiquitunga

Actually, I just noticed the first picture of the large crucifix in this thread has on it "INBI" instead of "INRI" But then I found this online, that explains how the Eastern churches use the Greek instead of the Latin, and this crucifix was made for a Byzantine Catholic Church. I thought it had to be something like that .. interesting..

[quote]Some churches write it a little different, such as some of the Eastern Orthodox Churches who write it as "INBI" since they translate it into Greek rather than Latin.[/quote]

[url="http://www.worksthatinspire.com/about_crucifix.html"]http://www.worksthatinspire.com/about_crucifix.html[/url]

• 3 years later...
Indwelling Trinity

Another picture from the soon to be postulant's site ..

crucifix0001tb8.jpg

Does anyone know where i can find a crucifix like this maybe about 24 inches? i would so love to have one in my hermitage as i return to the monastery. Any suggestions would be helpful.... Being part Spanish the graphic nature speaks to my heart and inflames my desire to give all to Him!

Tenderly,
Indwelling Trinity