An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Essential Catholic Booklist For Catechists

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

This is an updated list of books that every catechist (or catechist 'wannabe') should consider reading and owning. It was updated upon the request of several catechists to be short, include explanations for each text on the list, and be supplemented by a longer list of texts in another section. Some titles are rather common, but some you may have not thought of using before.

Essentials List: [url="http://www.catecheticsonline.com/Catechetics_resources.php"]http://www.catecheticsonline.com/Catechetics_resources.php[/url]
Supplemented List: [url="http://www.catecheticsonline.com/catechetics_texts.php"]http://www.catecheticsonline.com/catechetics_texts.php[/url]

Mateo el Feo

Adam, what a list! I'm humbled and I think I've got a lot more reading to do... :)

Anyway, a few books that I didn't see:
1) Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma (Ott)
2) Sources of Catholic Dogma (Denzinger)
3) Some scripture concordance (I don't know if you mentioned one)

A couple extras that may not be officially for catechesis, but yet have so many gems in them I wouldn't want to forget:
1) Imitation of Christ (Thomas A Kempis)
2) Introduction to the Devout Life (St. Francis de Sales)

Brother Adam

Thank you Mateo el Feo, I actually considered each of the books you mentioned (and own all of them). All of them will be in the supplemental reading list, though none strictly belong in the essential list. I'm still building, revising, and working on the supplemental reading list which will also include short explanatory notes when I have time to write them. I'm hoping with the professional catechetical education I've been blessed with (Raphael from PM is also in the same program) that I can offer the best resources for improving Catholic catechesis in the US on the Internet.

Mateo el Feo

You're doing the right thing in protecting the Essentials list. Of course, I'd argue that Ott's "Fundamentals" would merit inclusion; but, it's your list. :)

Your dedication to sharing the Catholic Faith reveals itself in your website. I think that Catechetics Online is both a useful resource and a well-designed website. How often do we encounter a great resource and a horrible web design (in terms of both aesthetics and organization) or a beautiful empty shell?

Thanks for all you do!

I'm very glad that you included the U.S. Catechism for Adults. I think that book is a catechetical wonder and has not received the kind of positive reception and attention it deserves. However, I would recommend (since the list is for catechists) that the Bible listed be the New Catholic Answer Bible. It is a handy dandy resource for quickly walking through the most common questions and objections, which is why it is so perfect and essential for catechists.

I assign the people that work with my company to read the Dale Carnegie book once a year. It is a great book for developing people skills. Maxwell is great also.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1239829' date='Apr 12 2007, 11:44 AM']I assign the people that work with my company to read the Dale Carnegie book once a year. It is a great book for developing people skills. Maxwell is great also.[/quote]Any particular Maxwell book that you'd recommend?

Depends what you wanna work with.

His new one "Talent isnt enough" is awesome, I dont think it is publically released yet. My cooporation had him as a key note speaker 2 weeks ago, so we got access to it.

"winning with people" is a great one also. I would recommend that one to you first.

Brother Adam

Thank you for the input. I've updated the supplemental list and included more books, as well as reader ratings based on the difficulty of the book.