An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missing Mass

jenna311

My family is planning on going on a cruise this summer. We haven't been on a vacation together for years, so this is pretty exciting. Since I'm in college, I'm not at home to really hear any of the plans about it. At the moment, we are supposed to be going to Cozumel, Mexico. The cruise is from Thursday--Monday.

Therefore, I will most likely be in the middle of the ocean on Sunday, making it very difficult to attend Mass. I've looked on the cruise companies website to see if they had anything about religious services, and they only said they would attempt to get them for major holidays if possible [as in Easter, Christmas, etc.] Since this would be in the summer, there isn't a major holiday when we would be there. So unless there just happens to be a Catholic priest on board who is willing to say Mass, chances are I won't be able to make it. [I think on Saturday we are supposed to leave the port at 6 pm or something, and I doubt I would be able to make a vigil Mass on Saturday.]

I realize that missing Mass is a mortal sin, and besides that, I just really hate to miss it.

Is there any thing I'm just not thinking of that I could possibly get to a Mass?

Would this fall under an inability to attend Mass and not be a mortal sin?

God bless,
Jennifer

son_of_angels

I'm pretty sure your local priest can give you a dispensation...it's also possible that such an occasion does not amount to a mortal sin.

Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holydays of obligation, the faithful are obliged to assist at Mass. They are also to abstain from such work or business that would inhibit the worship to be given to God, the joy proper to the Lord's Day, or the due relaxation of mind and body.

Can. 1248 §1 The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a catholic rite either on a holyday itself or on the evening of the previous day.

§2 If it is impossible to assist at a eucharistic celebration, either because no sacred minister is available or for some other grave reason, the faithful are strongly recommended to take part in a liturgy of the Word, if there be such in the parish church or some other sacred place, which is celebrated in accordance with the provisions laid down by the diocesan Bishop; or to spend an appropriate time in prayer, whether personally or as a family or, as occasion presents, in a group of families.

Being in the middle of the ocean would come under grave reason....

Theologian in Training

I'm surprised there are no chaplains, usually you can find at least one Catholic priest who likes a free cruise :)

But, as cappie said, you are not purposely missing, and it is your intention to go, you just cannot...

A Yearning Heart

yep, middle of the ocean would make it difficult to find a church.

you could always attend a mid-week mass before or after you come back from your cruise. or make a spiritual communion on sunday.

Thanks everyone.

I have a subscription to the Magnificat, so I was definitely planning on going through the readings and such for the Sunday's Mass.

I'll check around when I get there...maybe there will be a chaplain there that week.

God bless,
Jennifer

I have been on several cruises and there usually is some kind of religious ceremoy on Sunday. It may not be Catholic, but a kind of interdenominational kind of service. I found it very reflective, as usually it is Bible based. And you will be surprised how many priests are on board, some incognito. At least, spending some quiet time with the Lord should suffice.
Above all, have fun.

I've been told that cruises will let priests go for free if they are available so that the Catholic passengers will have a minister. The problem is, most priests (at least in the U.S.) don't have time to go on cruises...

If there is no priest onboard, just pray the Rosary and read the missal. I would definitely ask you not to attend any interdenominational gathering. Those type of things just do harm to the Church since Catholicism cannot be put on the level of another faith. It is the only true Faith. Going to protestant churches has always been considered a sin.

Anyway, have a great time :lol_roll:

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1240077' date='Apr 12 2007, 02:53 PM']If there is no priest onboard, just pray the Rosary and read the missal. I would definitely ask you not to attend any interdenominational gathering. Those type of things just do harm to the Church since Catholicism cannot be put on the level of another faith. It is the only true Faith. Going to protestant churches has always been considered a sin.[/quote]Just bring some zinc oxide. You'll need it to protect you from the fires of hell and the sun. Give some to all the non-Catholics as they will be burning brightly too. Make friends with the non-Catholics since you'll be spending eternity with them.

Is the cruise really worth that?

Stay home and go to church. That's more grave than an entertainment cruise. A grave reason would be traveling to another world and the priest was killed by an alien during the journey. Otherwise, there is no earthly reason to miss Mass if you really don't want to. Too bad.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

You can probably find out beforehand from the cruiseline if there will be Mass. Look into that before worrying about it. :snowman:

[quote name='thedude' post='1240223' date='Apr 12 2007, 05:48 PM']You can probably find out beforehand from the cruiseline if there will be Mass. Look into that before worrying about it. :snowman:[/quote]

Just from going on the cruise's website, it doesn't seem like they normally have Masses [except on big holidays such as Christmas, Easter, etc...and we won't be going then.] But I will call them once we have a date and such, and perhaps they will know for sure.

God bless,
Jennifer

[quote name='A Yearning Heart' post='1239642' date='Apr 12 2007, 12:18 AM']yep, middle of the ocean would make it difficult to find a church.

you could always attend a mid-week mass before or after you come back from your cruise. or make a spiritual communion on sunday.[/quote]

You can't go to a weekday Mass to make up for a Sunday Mass. Nor can you abstain on a Thursday to make up for Friday abstinence.

It would be a grievous sin to attend an interdenom. service, for the service would be preaching heresy and using a Protestant Bible, which as been forbidden for many ages.

[quote][b]The Catechism of Pope St. Pius X:[/b]
The First Precept of the Church

7 Q. What does the First Precept of the Church: To hear Mass [b]on all Sundays and on Holydays of obligation[/b], order us to do?
A. The First Precept of the Church: To hear Mass on all Sundays and on Holydays of obligations, orders us to assist devoutly at Mass on all Sundays and on Holydays of obligation.

8 Q. At which Mass does the Church desire us to assist on Sundays and on Holydays of obligation?
A. The Mass at which the Church desires us to assist, if possible, on Sundays and Holydays of obligation is the Parochial Mass.

9 Q. Why does the Church recommend the faithful to assist at the Parochial Mass?
A. The Church recommends the faithful to assist at the Parochial Mass: (1) In order that all the parishioners of the same parish may unite in prayer together with their Pastor, who is their head; (2) In order that the parishioners may participate more abundantly in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, which is applied principally for them; (3) In order that they may hear the truths of the Gospel, which Pastors are bound to explain during Mass; (4) In order that they may learn the regulations and notices which are published at that Mass.

10 Q. What is meant by the Lord's Day?
A. The Lord's Day means the day of the Lord, that is, the day specially consecrated to divine service.

11 Q. Why in the First Precept of the Church is special mention made of the Lord's day?
A. In the First Precept of the Church special mention is made of the Lord's Day, because it is the principal Christian festival, as the Sabbath was the principal Jewish festival, and because it was instituted by God Himself.

12 Q. What other festivals have been instituted by the Church?
A. The Church has instituted Feasts of our Lord, of the Blessed Virgin, of the Angels and of the Saints.

13 Q. Why did the Church institute other Festivals of our Lord?
A. The Church instituted other Festivals of our Lord in memory of His divine Mysteries.

14 Q. And why have Festivals of the Blessed Virgin and of the Saints been instituted?
A. Festivals of the Blessed Virgin and of the Saints have been instituted: (1) In memory of the graces which God has given them, and to thank His divine goodness; (2) In order that we may honour them, imitate their example, and be aided by their prayers.
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM#Precepts"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM#Precepts[/url][/quote]

33 Q. Why does the Church forbid Protestant Bibles?
A. The Church forbids Protestant Bibles because, either they have been altered and contain errors, or not having her approbation and footnotes explaining the obscure meanings, they may be harmful to the Faith. It is for that same reason that the Church even forbids translations of the Holy Scriptures already approved by her which have been reprinted without the footnotes approved by her.
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM#Virtues"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM#Virtues[/url][/quote]

8 Q. What is forbidden by the First Commandment?
A. The First Commandment forbids idolatry, superstition, sacrilege, heresy, and every other sin against religion.
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM#Commandments"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSX...TM#Commandments[/url][/quote]

15 Q. What else does the First Commandment forbid?
A. The First Commandment also forbids all dealings with the devil, and all association with anti-Christian sects.
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM#Commandments"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSX...TM#Commandments[/url][/quote]

Ash Wednesday

Just get a dispensation from your priest. There's nothing wrong with attending an interdenominational/Protestant service so long as you're not using it as a substitute for mass when you are able to attend mass, i.e. having the attitude that one service is as good as another. We ARE allowed to attend services of other denominations and religions, we are just not supposed to actively participate in most cases, like in theory you were an altar server at an Anglican service or something like that, generally in most cases people that aren't really sure what religion they are. If an interdenominational service was all that was available on the cruise, I really don't think a Catholic that is concerned about mortal sin and missing mass is going to be scandalized by something like that. Heck I'd go out of curiousity, though most likely and realistically, if I was on a cruise I'd be lazy, maybe a bit hung over, and sleeping in.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1240177' date='Apr 12 2007, 04:05 PM']Just bring some zinc oxide. You'll need it to protect you from the fires of hell and the sun. Give some to all the non-Catholics as they will be burning brightly too. Make friends with the non-Catholics since you'll be spending eternity with them.

Is the cruise really worth that?

Stay home and go to church. That's more grave than an entertainment cruise. A grave reason would be traveling to another world and the priest was killed by an alien during the journey. Otherwise, there is no earthly reason to miss Mass if you really don't want to. Too bad.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

I missed mass a few weeks ago because I usually go in the evening and just as I was about to leave, the toilet clogged and started flooding my aunt's entire bathroom. It wouldn't stop and would have flooded the entire house if I hadn't opened the tank and done some fiddling. If I died and went to hell right then and there, I would have blamed the toilet. But at least "It was the toilet" is more fun to say than "The devil made me do it!"

:idontknow:

I love phatmass.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1241046' date='Apr 13 2007, 01:30 AM']Just get a dispensation from your priest. There's nothing wrong with attending an interdenominational/Protestant service so long as you're not using it as a substitute for mass when you are able to attend mass, i.e. having the attitude that one service is as good as another. We ARE allowed to attend services of other denominations and religions, we are just not supposed to actively participate in most cases, like in theory you were an altar server at an Anglican service or something like that, generally in most cases people that aren't really sure what religion they are. If an interdenominational service was all that was available on the cruise, I really don't think a Catholic that is concerned about mortal sin and missing mass is going to be scandalized by something like that. Heck I'd go out of curiousity, though most likely and realistically, if I was on a cruise I'd be lazy, maybe a bit hung over, and sleeping in.
:lol_roll:

I missed mass a few weeks ago because I usually go in the evening and just as I was about to leave, the toilet clogged and started flooding my aunt's entire bathroom. It wouldn't stop and would have flooded the entire house if I hadn't opened the tank and done some fiddling. If I died and went to hell right then and there, I would have blamed the toilet. But at least "It was the toilet" is more fun to say than "The devil made me do it!"

:idontknow:

I love phatmass.[/quote]I can see it now when Ash get's to heaven and Jesus interviews her.

Jesus: "Ash, I heard you say'Lord, Lord', yet I did not see you in My House. What's up with that?"

Ash: "Jesus, I was talking to the toilet."

Jesus: "Ah. You're one of those Catholics that Budge was warining me about. You were worshiping the porcelain God. It is written, 'Not all who call my name will I recognize'. You thought you had a bad day when the plunger struck you in the head, killing you instantly, you now have to spend eternity in Hell for missing Mass to worship false gods instead of the One God (namely me!). See ya. Wouldn't want to be ya."

Jesus: "Peter, who's up next?"

Peter: "It's that EENS guy again. He's got another question on the Rule Book."

Jesus: "Cr8p. Again? He almost had me convinced I had to send you to hell, Peter. You're lucky I'm perfect, Pete."

Edited by Anomaly