An Old School Catholic Message Board

Genuflectuning At Communion

hermit

I'm going to make a stand here, Romans 14; 11 clearly states that every knee shall bend in the presence of the Lord....When I go to Communion is this or is this not the true presence of the Lord, Body Blood Soul and Diveinety, please forgive my spelling but I think the point comes across.... I was reading the G.I.R.M. today and it said that Genuflectuing will no longer be allowed when recieving communioin, we are to give a simple bow of the head, not a profound bow just a simple bow..... Did I read this right, I really really hope not....Gee lets just all make this as simple as we can, and get the hell outa here, because we really dont want to be here but for some strange reason we are...I can understand not kneeling if you cant, but if you can you should, dont give me this this carp that it causes a distraction, or that somebody may fall over you, dont stand on my heels and you wont have to worry about it.......

God Bless and Mary Keep
hermit

Not sure if your asking a question :idontknow: but it doesn't worry me if someone genuflects before receiving communion.

Instruction Concerning Worship of the Eucharistic Mystery

Inaestimabile Donum

Prepared by the Sacred Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship
Approved and Confirmed by His Holiness
Pope John Paul II
April 17, 1980

11. The Church has always required from the faithful respect and reverence for the Eucharist at the moment of receiving it.
With regard to the manner of going to Communion, the faithful can receive it either kneeling or standing, in accordance with the norms laid down by the episcopal conference: "When the faithful communicate
kneeling, no other sign of reverence towards the Blessed Sacrament is required, since kneeling is itself a sign of adoration. When they receive Communion standing, it is strongly recommended that, coming
up in a procession, they should make a sign of reverence before receiving the sacrament. This should be done at the right time and place, so that the order of people going to and from Communion is not
disrupted."(21)

[i]Sacred Congregation of Rites, Instruction Eucharisticum Mysterium, no. 34. Cf. Institutio Generalis Missalis Romani, nos. 224 c, 246 b, 247 b.[/i]

Note that the instruction says that the sign of reverence before receiving the Sacrament should be done in such a way as to not disrupt the order of people going to and from Communion. There is no specific requirement to genuflect when receiving Communion but it is clear that a sign of reverence must be shown. This being said, genuflecting and kneeling have always been the signs of Eucharistic adoration in the Latin Church.

One can see from the document that genuflecting or kneeling is what they have in mind; otherwise why would they be concerned with people possibly being disrupted? The choice to genuflect or kneel or to receive on the tongue or in the hand is left up to the person receiving Communion, not the priest. It's similar to whether or not you wish to confess your sins face-to-face or from behind the screen; IT'S UP TO YOU! But common sense has to be exercised.