An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Mom

Sojourner

I just got off the phone with my Dad. Apparently my Mom has been having significant memory issues most of today. She woke up not knowing that my brother and sister-in-law were visiting, and they've been there a couple days. Didn't know that I had moved to MN, or that my sister was going to school.

Dad took her into the hospital, thinking maybe she'd had a mild stroke, but that appears to not be the case. They've run a battery of tests, CAT scans, MRI's, bloodwork, etc., and can find no physical cause as of this point for what's going on. She's gotten somewhat better through the day but is in the hospital overnight. Dad says it could just be stress, which I'm hoping is the case. He also said not to worry. So much for that.

So please pray. I'll update as I find things out.

Thanks.

:pray:

Edited by Terra Firma

Birgitta Noel

Oh my Dear. Prayers are headed your way. I hate it when people tell you not to worry like that. :sign: Keep us posted.

I just talked to my Dad again. Mom is home, and apparently doing OK, although still a little fuzzy on some things.

Tests turned up nothing that could completely explain it ... they ruled out common infections, stroke, alzheimer's, stuff like that. So they're proceeding on the theory that it is stress-related, and she will follow up a few times over the next several months with a neurologist.

I think it's really shaken them up. I know it shook me up for sure. But, it appears things are sort of OK.

Oh, and Prose, no nothing like this has happened to her in the past. There's no history of anything happening like this in her family either.

Oh and the official diagnosis at this point is transient global amnesia ... short-term memory loss that's not stroke-related.

Edited by Terra Firma