An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hell

dairygirl4u2c

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1245826' date='Apr 16 2007, 03:30 PM']ty[/quote]
pot stirrer. :lol_pound:

Justin (Wiccan)

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1245826' date='Apr 16 2007, 03:30 PM']ty[/quote]

That is not what was said in the previous thread, dearheart.

[quote name='Justin (Wiccan)' post='1245840' date='Apr 16 2007, 03:40 PM']That is not what was said in the previous thread, dearheart.[/quote]I'd bet $50 that dairy is well aware that isn't what was said in the other thread. But the other thread caused dairy to extrapolate the train of thoughts of some of the other posters and so she's asking this question. If I wasn't such a boor, I'd wouldn't comment that Budge will soon post and quote scripture that Catholics believe that we must worship Mary to escape Hell, thess or Akalyte would comment how Prots always are creating something new to twist Catholicism, and ____ (too many) will defend anything Catholic as being beyond question and not really answer. Fortunately, I am such a boor and shared these observations.

Edited by Anomaly

Mateo el Feo

Dairy is just doing more "poking and prodding." I always thought of her as playing the role of resident anthropologist, exploring and discovering the nuances of belief among the inhabitants of the island of Phatmasia.

She does her part to make things a little more interesting around here. ;)

Edited by Mateo el Feo

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]If I wasn't such a boor, I'd wouldn't comment that Budge will soon post and quote scripture that Catholics believe that we must worship Mary to escape Hell, thess or Akalyte would comment how Prots always are creating something new to twist Catholicism, and ____ (too many) will defend anything Catholic as being beyond question and not really answer.[/quote]

That should have begun, "If I [i]weren't[/i] such a boor..." You need to use the subjunctive mood when making counterfactual statements. :)

*toddles back to linguistics project*

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1245850' date='Apr 16 2007, 01:55 PM']Dairy is just doing more "poking and prodding." I always thought of her as playing the role of resident anthropologist, exploring and discovering the nuances of belief among the inhabitants of the island of Phatmasia.

She does her part to make things a little more interesting around here. ;)[/quote]
that is how I think of her as well ... people complain about her polls, but she sometimes has really interesting insights.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1245876' date='Apr 16 2007, 04:34 PM']That should have begun, "If I [i]weren't[/i] such a boor..." You need to use the subjunctive mood when making counterfactual statements. :)

*toddles back to linguistics project*[/quote]
Not be be a boor, but....

Isn't 'wasn't' singular, and 'weren't' plural?

I wasn't....

They weren't....

** glares peevishly at the computer **

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1245897' date='Apr 16 2007, 02:51 PM']Not be be a boor, but....

Isn't 'wasn't' singular, and 'weren't' plural?

I wasn't....

They weren't....

** sits peavishly at the computer **[/quote]
no she's right

the article on subjunctive mood in wikipedia explains it. I never knew about it until I took Spanish, which helped me learn English grammar better.

thessalonian

The problem is that there is a mary and if a Catholic does not acknowledge who she is and her role, unless invinible ignorance is the case, ie. if you obstinately refuse the marian dogma's you are apostate. Why, because she is our Mother, she is Christ's Mother, and she in fact will be the cause for many to go to heaven through intercession to her. She is not the first cause of our salvatoin, but without her intercession as our mother most would be damned.

Justin (Wiccan)

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1245909' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:01 PM']The problem is that there is a mary and if a Catholic does not acknowledge who she is and her role, unless invinible ignorance is the case, ie. if you obstinately refuse the marian dogma's you are apostate.[/quote]

Slight quibble: "Apostate" only applies (depending on the view) to those who were once Christian and left the faith, or to those who were once Catholic and left the faith. I fall under the first definition, but not the second.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Justin (Wiccan)' post='1246018' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:55 PM']Slight quibble: "Apostate" only applies (depending on the view) to those who were once Christian and left the faith, or to those who were once Catholic and left the faith. I fall under the first definition, but not the second.[/quote]Fair enough. Though the statement began, "if a [i]Catholic[/i] does not acknowledge..."

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1245909' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:01 PM']The problem is that there is a mary and if a Catholic does not acknowledge who she is and her role, unless invinible ignorance is the case, ie. if you obstinately refuse the marian dogma's you are apostate. Why, because she is our Mother, she is Christ's Mother, and she in fact will be the cause for many to go to heaven through intercession to her. She is not the first cause of our salvatoin, but without her intercession as our mother most would be damned.[/quote]The problem is, you aren't saying which are the Marian Dogmas, and which aren't. Where's the Marian Dogma that spells out that Mary confers Grace (meaning she controls and directs Grace herself as opossed to being a channel of Grace)? Please reference specific RC Church documents that clearly support your claim that without Mary's direct intercession, most would be damned.