An Old School Catholic Message Board

Second Sunday Of Easter - Divine Mercy Sunday

Chiquitunga

Chiquitunga

I was wondering if the Gospel reading during Holy Mass on the Second Sunday of Easter / Divine Mercy Sunday is always the same (this one with Jesus instituting the Sacrament of Penance).

[url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/041507.shtml"]http://www.usccb.org/nab/041507.shtml[/url]

I was wondering this because of it's connection to Divine Mercy Sunday. I've heard some people get annoyed with this feast because it gets in the way of Easter, & the novena starting on Good Friday ..

But this is what Our Lord wanted, as He revealed it to St. Faustina. We've just started doing a Divine Mercy Holy Hour at our parish, and people are just starting to get used to it, though the priests at our parish are not ..

Yesterday at the Mass I went to at a different parish, the priest gave a great homily and connected this feast with Easter so well!

To me it always made sense, because at Easter we renew our Baptismal Vows, and then Divine Mercy Sunday we have a chance to receive a grace like a second Baptism. During Lent we've done penance, and have meditated even more on our redemption, especially during Holy Week. Then the novena for Divine Mercy Sunday begins on Good Friday .. for the sake of His Sorrowful Passion .. and the Blood and Water that came forth from His Heart ..

But my main question here is, does anyone know for sure if this is the Gospel for every Second Sunday of Easter (in the revised rite - though if you happen to know the Tridentine rite off hand, that'd be interesting to know too).

My mom and I are working on improving our Holy Hour for next year while it's fresh in mind, and want to connect it more with Easter too, so it starts making more sense to people. Thanks!

Edited by Margaret Clare

The reading is from John 20:19-31 every year and was the same in the "Old Missal" where it is called "Dominica in Albis in Octava Paschae"

Yes, it was always the gospel for Low Sunday. Probably why Our Lord Picked Low Sunday to be Divine Mercy Sunday... hehe