An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forget It

Lounge Daddy

Justin (Wiccan)

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1246909' date='Apr 17 2007, 02:27 AM']I'll stick with this vice
Now excuse me while I light up :smokey:[/quote]

:D:

I got to admit, there's nothing like the smell of a good pipe blend.

Ash Wednesday

Oh noes D:
Was it because I posted that picture of the pipe smokin' Better in Latin priest?

D:

[quote name='Justin (Wiccan)' post='1246921' date='Apr 17 2007, 12:45 AM']:D:

I got to admit, there's nothing like the smell of a good pipe blend.[/quote]
:yes:

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1246909' date='Apr 17 2007, 02:27 AM']I'll stick with this vice
Now excuse me while I light up :smokey:[/quote]As an ex-smoker (25years of habit), I'm curious as to why you wanted to quit in the first place. What has changed your mind? I've quit a number of times, sometimes for a substantial amount of time (over a year) before this current period of not smoking for almost 10 years.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1247022' date='Apr 17 2007, 10:59 AM']As an ex-smoker (25years of habit), I'm curious as to why you wanted to quit in the first place. What has changed your mind? I've quit a number of times, sometimes for a substantial amount of time (over a year) before this current period of not smoking for almost 10 years.[/quote]

I know addiction and habit very well. And it is fortunate that I know this... as an alcoholic.

As an alcoholic - 10 years of drinking, pretty much daily - I will tackle one vice at a time.
And I am not a habitual smoker, never was.
I enjoy a cigar or a pipe once a week or so. Emphasis on enjoy. I never [i]needed[/i] a pipe. I never [i]needed [/i]a cigar.

I enjoy smoking. I have chosen to continue to do so.

Ash Wednesday

I have to admit that while I don't smoke but I *love* the shisha pipe. Being able to puff one one of those every so often is a real treat. I like the rose petal flavor, myself.

(It's tobacco, people. Tobacco. You know, that hookah water pipe that the catepillar smokes in Alice in Wonderland?)

Lounge Daddy

It was made clear to me by my wife...
The smoking and the pipes go.

I don't smoke at all, as of today :lol:

Edited by Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1248916' date='Apr 19 2007, 02:13 AM']It was made clear to me by my wife...
The smoking and the pipes go.

I don't smoke at all, as of today :lol:[/quote]I am still curious as to why you wanted to quit in the first place. We can exchange addiction stories and show scars later.
I've quit a number of things for various reasons, drugs, alcohol, sexual addiction, smoking, etc. I've recieved lot's of advice from others, both valuable and useless.
Bottom line. When I made decision to 'stop' doing something, I really made positive decisions to do something else for my own motives. I quit drinking because it was more of a gift to my wife who had a problem when she drank. It wasn't so much a sobriety issue for me, but positive support for my wife. We didn't make a 'deal'. She didn't ask me to.

When I quit smoking the last time, it was for me, for my reasons, something I wanted to do. I often told people what they wanted to hear about 'why', but I did it for me. No amount of nagging, tears, demands, bets, or manipulation by others got me to quit or kept me from smoking.

Lounge Daddy

why did I want to quit in the first place?

#1 - I am re-claiming my health
#2 - my kids know that I smoke the occasional cigar or pipe, and it bothers them
#3 - it bothers my wife
#4 - as far as Fr. Corapi is concerned, smoking is a sin against the 5th Commandment

I don't have anything close to a good argument against any of the above, other than "but I like my tobacco."
So there it is.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1249254' date='Apr 19 2007, 03:20 PM']why did I want to quit in the first place?

#1 - I am re-claiming my health
#2 - my kids know that I smoke the occasional cigar or pipe, and it bothers them
#3 - it bothers my wife
#4 - as far as Fr. Corapi is concerned, smoking is a sin against the 5th Commandment

I don't have anything close to a good argument against any of the above, other than "but I like my tobacco."
So there it is.[/quote]You smoke because you like it. Think about the reasons to quit and come with a positive thing you want to do more.

For me, I wanted to be around my kids and family more. I would not smoke in front of my kids, so I'd have to go outside regularly, work in the yard, etc., so I could smoke. I chose to be around my kids more so I stopped smoking. Maybe it's semantics, but it helped me alot. My wife hated me smoking and the times I quit smoking for her, never lasted very long.
Once I decided to be 'smokefree' I tracked the days is was able to do what I wanted. Counting the days you've quit smoking was like counting how many days you were denying yourself. It was very negative.
Good luck. Pray and think about what you WANT to DO that may mean quitting smoking and track your success on doing whats necessary to do what you want to do more than smoke.

xTrishaxLynnx

Seems to me Lounge Daddy has already decided what he wants to do rather than smoking, which is re-claim his health and show respect for his wife and kids by not doing something that bothers them. Good for you LD :)