An Old School Catholic Message Board

Drugs From Canada

Sojourner

OK, since I'm in school, I have major medical health coverage, but not prescription drug coverage. I also have allergies, and for years have been taking allergy meds. Since starting school I've been relying on free samples from the health clinic, plus over the counter drugs. However, none of these work quite as well as the medication I was taking (for which I still have a valid prescription).

However, even in generic form it is $80+ per month -- way outside what I can afford. I am wondering about the ethics of getting it from Canada. I've never personally done this, but had a friend a couple years ago who did. Thoughts? Comments?

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1247164' date='Apr 17 2007, 01:27 PM']Go to India...

apparently you can get good quality super cheap.[/quote]
um, yeah, but getting a ticket to India is a little cost prohibitive

I get drugs from Canada all the time ;)

But I live here.

I don't see why it would be unethical. Is it illegal? I have no idea about these things.

Edited by prose

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1247253' date='Apr 17 2007, 03:01 PM']It is illegal.[/quote]
is it? I have never looked into it.

It bypasses the FDA and I do believe that it is illegal according to federal law. However, some states have taken the issue into their own hands. So, I don't know what the real answer is.

I have rather bad allergies too and my medication is not on my insurance company's formulary. So, I stock up in Italy and get my friends to bring it back when they go. My medicine that I pay 50.00USD per month is only 7.00EUR for 20 tablets of the same medicine. You don't need prescriptions in Italy. Perhaps you know someone who is going there.

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1247587' date='Apr 17 2007, 08:32 PM']It bypasses the FDA and I do believe that it is illegal according to federal law. However, some states have taken the issue into their own hands. So, I don't know what the real answer is.

I have rather bad allergies too and my medication is not on my insurance company's formulary. So, I stock up in Italy and get my friends to bring it back when they go. My medicine that I pay 50.00USD per month is only 7.00EUR for 20 tablets of the same medicine. You don't need prescriptions in Italy. Perhaps you know someone who is going there.[/quote]
I do, actually ... several of my classmates are going to be studying in Rome this summer.

:think:

Ash Wednesday

I get my medication from canadadrugs.com. You register an account with them -- my doctor faxes the prescription to them and voila, they are in the mail. I've been doing it since last November and it's worked just fine. I've also heard something about people being able to get generic drugs from Wal Mart but I don't know much about that. I like being able to buy my prescriptions in 3-6 month increments. I find it to be quite the hassle saver, myself. What is also nice is that they will actually call you to remind you that you need a refill, because you need to allow some time for the medication to arrive in the mail.

If people want to quibble about the legality and ethics of it -- they can pay us to make up for the cost difference for those of us that don't have our prescription meds covered by our health insurance, thankyouverymuch. If it's not legal, then why do I get a big fat package in the mail that says "CANADADRUGS.COM" courtesy of the U.S. postal service, obviously having made it through u.s. customs -- and why would my doctor even bother to do business with them in the first place? (For the record they already had patients that do the same thing before I asked them about it.) My aunt gets her drugs through mail order and she even has full coverage under her employer. It's obviously not a legal problem in my state, so the FDA can just kiss my butt.

I would just say if you have a thyroid condition, do be careful if you choose to buy a generic brand in order to save money. Sometimes thyroid patients don't respond as well to generic meds -- but that is an issue no matter how you get your prescriptions.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

RezaMikhaeil

Getting drugs from canada is highly illegal and thou mass amounts of people do it, there have been some people busted for it.

Reza

KnightofChrist

Who needs Canada, I make my own drugs. Anyone wanna buy some of my home made aspirin? I'm pretty sure it wont kill you... :whistle:

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1247816' date='Apr 18 2007, 03:24 AM']Getting drugs from canada is highly illegal and thou mass amounts of people do it, there have been some people busted for it.

Reza[/quote]

Strange. Law enforcement must be treating it in the same manner as lollipops and purchasing a mattress on Sunday being illegal, then.

[url="http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/washington/"]http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/washington/[/url]

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1247807' date='Apr 18 2007, 02:07 AM']I get my medication from canadadrugs.com. You register an account with them -- my doctor faxes the prescription to them and voila, they are in the mail. I've been doing it since last November and it's worked just fine. I've also heard something about people being able to get generic drugs from Wal Mart but I don't know much about that. I like being able to buy my prescriptions in 3-6 month increments. I find it to be quite the hassle saver, myself. What is also nice is that they will actually call you to remind you that you need a refill, because you need to allow some time for the medication to arrive in the mail.

If people want to quibble about the legality and ethics of it -- they can pay us to make up for the cost difference for those of us that don't have our prescription meds covered by our health insurance, thankyouverymuch. If it's not legal, then why do I get a big fat package in the mail that says "CANADADRUGS.COM" courtesy of the U.S. postal service, obviously having made it through u.s. customs -- and why would my doctor even bother to do business with them in the first place? (For the record they already had patients that do the same thing before I asked them about it.) My aunt gets her drugs through mail order and she even has full coverage under her employer. It's obviously not a legal problem in my state, so the FDA can just kiss my butt.

I would just say if you have a thyroid condition, do be careful if you choose to buy a generic brand in order to save money. Sometimes thyroid patients don't respond as well to generic meds -- but that is an issue no matter how you get your prescriptions.[/quote]
hmm, I will have to check that out. I'll have to do a little research into the legality of it as well, but that looks really interesting.

And I just get allergy meds ... no thyroid probs that I know of.