An Old School Catholic Message Board

Standing Throughout The Consecration

jenn91988

At my Parish here in Canada, everyone stands throughout the consecration. I, however, kneel even though that is not the norm in my parish (there is maybe..5-6 people out of 200 that kneel). From what I understand, unless prevented by lack of space or illness or something, we are supposed to kneel from when we sing the "Holy Holy" to when the priest says "Let us proclaim the mystery of faith" here in Canada. Well, then I read one of the answers on this page to someone else's question about kneeling. It appears that we are all supposed to be united in a single posture...well, should I be standing then, even though I'm healthy and there is plenty of space?

Thanks. :D:

The norm is for all to kneel during the consecration. Unity of gesture is desirable, but unity of gesture with the Universal Church and its norms is more important than with a local assembly. If the local assembly were to do jumping jacks during the consecration is keeping the "unity" the most important element? Tell that to Shadrack and co.

If I were a laymen I would not feel comfortable standing during consecration.

The question is, who is this posture being issued by? The rule of thumb is basic, if the Bishop has issued this as the norm, than I would be obedient and do what he says. If the local priest has issued it that is different. "No one, not even if he is a priest may add, change or delete anything in the liturgy." (girm)

Peace in Christ,

Fr. Burns