An Old School Catholic Message Board

Names In Religion

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

Mother Prioress wrote to me and said we need to start thinking about my name in religion. She said that nowadays a lot more nuns are keeping their baptismal names for legal reasons, but she asked what I wanted to do.

I was thinking of asking for Michael Mary since the Archangel has been very good in helping to protect me, but I don't really mind being Annie Clare either since I love both St Anne and St Clare.

I was just wondering what others thought about changing your name in religion, or keeping your own??

Annie Clare

Edited by nunsense

The Salesian Sisters do not change their name, but that is because when St John Bosco and St Mary Mazzarello founded our order, religious communities all over Italy were being suppressed and disbanded by the government. In order to found an order that would not be persecuted, Don Bosco was directed to have the members keep their legal name there-by having a dual status as citizens in their country and religious within the Church. It worked brilliantly and now there are over 14,000 of us (and growing!

In the end if I become a saint it will mean that there will be another Saint Colleen!! ^_^

Edited by happynun

[quote name='nunsense' post='1249838' date='Apr 20 2007, 12:39 AM']Mother Prioress wrote to me and said we need to start thinking about my name in religion. She said that nowadays a lot more nuns are keeping their baptismal names for legal reasons, but she asked what I wanted to do.

I was thinking of asking for Michael Mary since the Archangel has been very good in helping to protect me, but I don't really mind being Annie Clare either since I love both St Anne and St Clare.

I was just wondering what others thought about changing your name in religion, or keeping your own??

Annie Clare[/quote]

St. Cecilia in Nashville, TN, has their sisters submit three names, and the prioress chooses one for them.

The Disciples of Our Lord Jesus Christ in TX can submit names, but they won't necessarily be used.

Others give names--I think the Summit, NJ, Dominicans do that, as do the Norbertine Canonesses in CA.

Amazingly, with every aspirant I receive for the Cloisterites, they say, "I'll take whatever is given me." I discern their names, and they're given after various considerations. Sometimes I base their predicate on whatever feast day they submit their request (to be admitted to the aspirancy) to me.

The Cloisterite aspirants will be starting "extended retreats" at our NC aspirants' house. In other words, the aspirants can go live for an extended period of time at their own convenience to see if everyone can get along. They will follow something of a schedule; will not wear distinctive clothing; and will not call each other by their religious names.

Please pray for this.

Blessings,
Gemma

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='nunsense' post='1249838' date='Apr 20 2007, 12:39 AM']Mother Prioress wrote to me and said we need to start thinking about my name in religion. She said that nowadays a lot more nuns are keeping their baptismal names for legal reasons, but she asked what I wanted to do.

Annie Clare[/quote]

That's interesting that you can choose your religious name at entrance. Some communities do that.

I think there is something to be said for both. Dominican nuns didn't originally change their names and I know that when you read the works of St. Teresa of Avila it's obvious that a title was attached to their baptismal name.

The problem today is that a lot of young women don't have saints names.

I'm happy that we can choose our name. Years ago you submitted your name and learned your "fate" on your clothing day. The story goes of our Sr. Mary Antoninus of the Trinty who was told to submist FIVE names. Her baptismal name was Gertrude and she loved St. Gertrude. So, she put that down. She DID NOT put down Antoninus. Well, she got none of the five names but she did get the title. She used to say, "Why did they even ask me?"

I was told to chose a name that would have meaning for my religious life: a saint who was meaningful to me and title that would express a mystery of God that had meaning in my life. I remember first asking for Sr. Annunicata and the prioress said, "YOU?" But then I asked for Sr. Mary Catharine of Jesus because that is the name I had as a novice in my former community and that is what I really wanted! The Lord wasn't giving me inclinations toward anything else. I almost didn't get it because we had a Sr. Catherine Marie at the time.

It was suggested that I chose my baptismal name but I was adopted as an infant after being baptized so I have a legal name and a baptismal name!

Choosing a new name signifies "conversion" and a new mission from God. I'm personally very much in favor for religious names. Just keep all your legal stuff under your legal name. Besides, in the drs office they usually call you by your last name, anyway!

cathoholic_anonymous

I can see the advantages to both. Part of me likes the idea of changing your name to signify a radical new beginning. If they chose it themselves, the name of a religious also tells you a good bit about their way of prayer and their personality. :) It is also a living reminder of the qualities you want to develop.

However, your own name can also mean so much. My real name is Victoria, the Latin for victory. This has special significance for me because of my disabilities. When I was little I was told that there were a lot of things I would never manage. I was electrified when I heard the words of St Paul for the first time: "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13.) I was quite a small child when I heard that read aloud in Mass. I took it to heart. Over the years, the meaning of my name has come alive for me. My neurologist and occupational therapists are amazed at how far I've come and what I've achieved. But I'm humbly aware that none of these victories are my own. They've all been given to me by Him. For this reason, I would be quite tempted to keep my name. It has my whole history in it.

What about you, Annie? Which of those names illuminates your road most clearly, past and present? Think of the meanings of Anne (Mary's mother) and Clare (light) put together. If Mary was the morning star, St Anne and St Joachim were like the twilight before the dawn.

The name Michael Mary has apocalyptic undertones for me - the image of Mary, Queen of Heaven fleeing into her hidden wilderness (does this make you think of Carmel?) while Michael and his angels fought the dragon.

But which of the two speaks most to you?

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous

[quote name='Gemma' post='1250037' date='Apr 20 2007, 08:46 AM']The Disciples of Our Lord Jesus Christ in TX can submit names, but they won't necessarily be used.[/quote]

They submit 3 names, and they may/may not be used; and the name is given when entering the Novitiate. Other orders do this at first profession or at final profession (it depends on the order).

The sisters that I will be entering with (Discipulas de Jesus de San Juan Bautista) do the same (and they can choose to keep their baptismal name with some type of addition, i.e. Mary of Jesus, etc.) ... and there was one sister who told me her story on how she felt when her name was given to her. She started to cry -- because the name that was given to her was the one that the Lord placed in her heart, but she didn't submit it because she a different name (or something of the sort).

There is a biblical basis for the changing of the name -- akin to Saul changing to Paul, Abram to Abraham, (Sarah's name I think changed as well but I don't remember how).

IMHO -- I think its sort of a new birth. Dying to the old self. Also the new name has a significance with respect to your mission within the community. (Note that I believe that your given name does in a way refer to the mission in life -- I'm kind of tickled at the fact that I'm Carmen and I like singing; my sister is Milagros because her birth (and the fact that she is alive) was miraculous ).

I don't know if my opinion will change by the time the time comes to give my options (name changes in the Discipulas de Jesus occur at final profession) but I want to leave it up to the superior -- that way I let go of any control over it.

Edited by cmariadiaz

puellapaschalis

If I'm honest then I haven't really considered religious life [i]without[/i] taking a new name. Whilst I can understand the reasons some might have for not changing, it's not something I'd consciously do. My baptismal name is a non-English variant of a saint's name, but I have neither a connection nor a devotion to her.

PP

Chiquitunga

I definitely like the idea of a religious name. I know that at Buffalo the Mother decides the name. A few other Carmels I know are this way too - Iron Mountain, Alexandria, Valpariaso .. I believe many of them are this way. I do remember at Buffalo though you are free to say a few names you might like, though it's up to Reverend Mother in the end.

Yes, it would be kind of scary waiting the day before your investiture wondering what you're going to be called by all your sisters the rest of your days. But it's just another thing to surrender to God in the religious life. But some communities I know also allow this choosing a few names you like, and then the Mother decides on one of them. I believe the Srs of St. John do it that way. I really like that too.

One thing I really love is the little title after the religious name ... But yes, though I like the idea of a new name, if your baptismal name already is very significant to you, it's not bad to keep it too - like St. Therese and Bl. Elizabeth did - or their Mother Superiors decided. Sr. Annie Clare is beautiful too!

Edited by Margaret Clare

the lords sheep

I love the idea of the new name as a symbol of change.

By the way, my cousin took Sr. Mary Michael in Carmel, and I'm (as well as she is) a fan of the name ;)

AccountDeleted

I really don't know anymore - that is why I asked all of you! :rolleyes:

I used to think it was important to change names as a sign of a new life in Christ, but I also know that I am not going to be a "new" person the minute I become a nun, but the same "old" me who has been given new life in Christ, and who has to work (with His grace) at becoming holy... still thinking about it though.

I will probably just keep Annie Clare but take a title as well. There are already three sisters using "of the Trinity" so even though I love that, I might just ask for "of Jesus" since that is what Holy Mother Teresa used, and I am not using her name at all (too many Teresas in the Carmelites already :rolleyes:) How does Sister Annie Clare of Jesus sound? At least I won't get confused if someone speaks to me and I wonder "Who is she talking to?" :rolleyes:

[quote name='nunsense' post='1250950' date='Apr 21 2007, 04:16 AM']I really don't know anymore - that is why I asked all of you! :rolleyes:

I used to think it was important to change names as a sign of a new life in Christ, but I also know that I am not going to be a "new" person the minute I become a nun, but the same "old" me who has been given new life in Christ, and who has to work (with His grace) at becoming holy... still thinking about it though.
I will probably just keep Annie Clare but take a title as well. There are already three sisters using "of the Trinity" so even though I love that, I might just ask for "of Jesus" since that is what Holy Mother Teresa used, and I am not using her name at all (too many Teresas in the Carmelites already :rolleyes:) How does Sister Annie Clare of Jesus sound? At least I won't get confused if someone speaks to me and I wonder "Who is she talking to?" :rolleyes:[/quote]

It sounds lovely !! God Bless you as you continue to discern.

I would definately want a new name! I didnt know some orders chose a name for you.
If I had to have a name I would choose Sister Joseph Germaine of of the Sacred Heart.

Is St Anne the mother of Mary and St Clare the founder of the Poor Clares?