An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bible Thumping

dairygirl4u2c

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are no Bible-thumping Catholics. We do not proof-text and fparse the Scriptures (and the Church Fathers and everything else under the sun) like Protestants do. The Catholic Faith comes to us from the Apostles and is [b][i]confirmed[/i][/b] in the Scriptures and in Sacred Apostolic Tradition.

Thumpers are Sola Scriptura advocates. That ain't us.

Likos

I quote from scripture, but as far as actually "thumping" the Bible I would have to consider that very disrespectful. This is sacred text, we should not be beating it! *smiling* JC

In the sense that the term is typically used, to denote a fundamentalist Christian of the Protestant variety, no I'm not.

If you're meaning to more broadly apply the term to ask whether I am very aggressive in voicing my beliefs and forcing them on others, not so much there either.

I have an undergrad in biblical and theological studies from an academic bible college. I can cite scripture and explain exegetical concepts at bat against anyone. Not to be cocky, im just that good. But I wouldnt consider myself a bible thumper because they typically are using verses out of context without proper respect to the whole of hermenutical studies.

Knight of the Holy Rosary

I read the Bible daily... :idontknow:

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'Bible thumper'.

Daniel Nekic

Bible-thumping Catholic?
As in Bible-basher?
I am not, for I associate bible-bashing with sola scriptura, which is heresy.

Wow... I can't say that on CARM without getting my head bitten off...

freedom...

CARM is a joke, they can call catholicism a cult without any justification, but when we try to speak truth we get censored. I laugh it off when people try to use it as a source for what the Church teaches

I think more Catholics ought to be "Bible-thumpers."

Catholics should know their Bibles and how to use them, particularly when dealing with "Bible Christians."

Too many modern Catholics seem scared of Bible-reading, or regard it as almost beneath them. (Though ignorance of the Bible has become rampant among protestants too, from what I've heard.)

I don't get this thread. I mean "Bible-thumping" is a derogative term used mostly by secular people to describe active Christians (Catholic or not). So, in their eyes, yes, I am a Bible Thumper. But to me it would be like calling someone a racial slur. I think the term is derogative and rude to any follower of Christ.