An Old School Catholic Message Board

President Of The Evangelical Theological Society

Katholikos

Paladin D

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1268423' date='May 8 2007, 09:53 PM']So... let me get this right.... You're saying that evangelicals who convert were just pretending to be evangelicals?[/quote]

Nevermind, forgot Budge isn't evangelical.

Edited by Paladin D

[quote name='Budge' post='1268418' date='May 8 2007, 08:50 PM']This guy had to be in RCIA didnt he before joining the Catholic Church, so that means 6 months at least of [b]playing a pretend evangelical.[/b][/quote]

What????

I just graduated from my college and unless someone heard of my conversion I had no problem relating with various evangelicals. Evangelism in its pure form will only grow into catholicism.

Paladin D

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1268458' date='May 8 2007, 10:18 PM']What????

I just graduated from my college and unless someone heard of my conversion I had no problem relating with various evangelicals. Evangelism in its pure form will only grow into catholicism.[/quote]

I think she's referring to Dr. Beckwith.

Paladin D

[quote name='Budge' post='1268465' date='May 8 2007, 10:21 PM']Did he tell his fellow RCIA members, ye must be born again?[/quote]

Not sure if you're living in reality or Mr. Roger's "Land of Make Believe", but last I checked Catholics are born again.

Paladin, I know she was talking about the good Dr. But I went through the same experience. I have never had to "pretend" to be evangelical. I still act the same then as I do now. Just more mature and not so bloody autonomous

Paladin D

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1268680' date='May 9 2007, 12:45 AM']Paladin, I know she was talking about the good Dr. But I went through the same experience. I have never had to "pretend" to be evangelical. I still act the same then as I do now. Just more mature and not so bloody autonomous[/quote]

Ah I get it, sorry about that.

Edited by Paladin D

Paddington

[quote name='Budge' post='1268465' date='May 8 2007, 11:51 PM']Did he tell his fellow RCIA members, ye must be born again?[/quote]

Budge,

In the article, he explained that he only needed to go to Confession. He had been confirmed as a Roman Catholic before turning 14. His wife did not receive the Sacraments like that and will need to be initiated in one year after taking RCIA.

Peace,
Paddington

[quote]What is interesting is they never convert to Roman Catholicism based on a conversion experience via faith in Jesus Christ or being led by God but always by Roman "history" and ECFs.[/quote]

I did.

I read the bible cover to cover, which convinced me the entire system of the Baptist/Evangelical/Protestant/Reformed was wrong.

Edited by jswranch

hoosieranna

Aren't all Christians supposed to be evangelical, in that we're supposed to spread the Good News? A "pretend" evangelical? Maybe I missed something. It wouldn't be the first time.

Katholikos

[quote name='Budge' post='1268465' date='May 8 2007, 09:21 PM']Did he tell his fellow RCIA members, ye must be born again?[/quote]

As has been pointed out to you, it wasn't necessary for Dr. Beckwith to go through RCIA.

He's a first-class theologian and knows that to be 'born again of the water and the Spirit' imeans to be baptized. John 3:3-5 is the only place in Scripture that the term is used: .

You and some, but not all, Protestants give "born again" a meaning that is not in the Scriptures.

Likos

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1268712' date='May 8 2007, 11:20 PM']Aren't all Christians supposed to be evangelical, in that we're supposed to spread the Good News? A "pretend" evangelical? Maybe I missed something. It wouldn't be the first time.[/quote]

Yes we are all supposed to evangelize. BXVI also said that something to the effect that you have a hard time considering yourself a Christian if you do not evangelize.

A "pretend" Evangelical, I am supposing, is a Catholic who acts Protestant in order to rise in the ranks only to lead others to the Catholic faith later.

[quote name='Budge' post='1268465' date='May 8 2007, 08:21 PM']Did he tell his fellow RCIA members, ye must be born again?[/quote]

Of course, they must be baptized. THe church teaches this.

[quote]As has been pointed out to you, it wasn't necessary for Dr. Beckwith to go through RCIA.

He's a first-class theologian and knows that to be 'born again of the water and the Spirit' imeans to be baptized. John 3:3-5 is the only place in Scripture that the term is used: .[/quote]

So he got a waiver?

:idontknow:

[quote name='Budge' post='1269135' date='May 9 2007, 02:13 PM']So he got a waiver?

:idontknow:[/quote]

Paddington pointed out the answer to that one I think, as he was confirmed Catholic prior to becoming a Evangelical/Protestant theologian, he only needed to confess once more, not be baptised again. It's not so much a waiver as the fact he doesn't need another baptism. If I'm right (and feel free to correct me, I'm a Baptist) he also doesn't need RCIA because of the CCD classes before his confirmation as a youth.