prose Posted May 15, 2007 Posted May 15, 2007 I may have been a bit harsh, but I get sick of people coming into here and trying to equate all religions and beliefs. As far as I Am concerned, it is like walking into a Catholic Church and doing the same thing. We are a CATHOLIC community here that is open to all people. But from every impression I have ever gotten, we are Catholic. If non-Catholics come and want open discussion, welcome. But don't get offended when we defend our faith, and point out the errors in other faiths. That's it.
thessalonian Posted May 15, 2007 Posted May 15, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Chaya' post='1273914' date='May 15 2007, 04:24 AM']choosing another religion, another (approach to) god is a thing between G-d and the person. of course, the actions that may result from a change in ethics (as a consequence of the change of religion then affect more than just G-d and the person. comparing this to being a molester and such, where this directly involves hurting another person is not a good comparison imo. btw, is there a place/thread where i can present myself, so you can know who i am and where i'm coming from (if such is wished, of course)?[/quote] The first commandment says "you shall have no other gods before me". Belinda's god is no god at all and likely has demonic ties. I stand by what I have said out of charity and concern for her eternal soul. The comparison is quite accurate as a violation of a commandment of God is a seriouis thing whether you have opinions to the contrary or not. But thanks for stopping by and welcome. Edited May 15, 2007 by thessalonian
thessalonian Posted May 15, 2007 Posted May 15, 2007 [quote name='prose' post='1274159' date='May 15 2007, 01:39 PM']I may have been a bit harsh, but I get sick of people coming into here and trying to equate all religions and beliefs. As far as I Am concerned, it is like walking into a Catholic Church and doing the same thing. We are a CATHOLIC community here that is open to all people. But from every impression I have ever gotten, we are Catholic. If non-Catholics come and want open discussion, welcome. But don't get offended when we defend our faith, and point out the errors in other faiths. That's it.[/quote] Amen.
Aloysius Posted May 15, 2007 Posted May 15, 2007 For one who did accuse us of not taking the Hebrew Scriptures seriously enough.. Psalm 96:5 "The gods of the nations are devils"
Phoenix Reborn Posted May 15, 2007 Posted May 15, 2007 (edited) I didn't even know the Eyptian church is still around... Edited May 15, 2007 by Phoenix Reborn
Totus Tuus Posted May 15, 2007 Posted May 15, 2007 [quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1272069' date='May 12 2007, 06:05 PM']Accepting Christianity is no guarantee that your life will always be a bed of roses.[/quote] Or you could say that it [i]is[/i] always a bed of roses... because roses have thorns
Totus Tuus Posted May 15, 2007 Posted May 15, 2007 I think my humble .02 is that we need to all take a minute to pray for Belinda and those who do not understand Christianity. Debate can be very informative (if done with charity), but prayer really is the strongest thing we can offer. Many people have made excellent points and observations which I have benefited from and learned by reading. But I don't think everyone's hearts are in a place where they can wholly benefit from reading what we have to say so much as they would benefit from our prayers. Belinda's birthday is on the feast of Our Lady of Fatima. Perhaps we could particularly recommend her to Our Lady under that title. Lauren
puellapaschalis Posted May 16, 2007 Posted May 16, 2007 To offer an answer to a question posed a little while back, Belinda originally posted this not in Debate but in Vocation Station, where some time ago she shared a little of her discernment, especially with the Tyburn Benedictines in Australia. This might explain the different tones of reply that are to be found if one reads the entire thread through. PP
Mary-Kathryn Posted May 16, 2007 Posted May 16, 2007 [quote name='In His Light' post='1271004' date='May 11 2007, 07:43 AM']*sigh* *But something has been said here I must address- With greatest respect, Sr Mary Catharine..... I would NEVER disrespect the ones you serve and love. Your Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit are names that I respect and hold in affection. I love Mother Mary to bits, heck.....my birthday is on Our Lady of Fatima, its not like I can avoid her and Saints Michael and Benedict still rock. While you do not agree with my path I would ask that you return that same respect. My Goddess Bast, to be more specific Bast-Mut, is not someone in my mind. She loves me dearly and I love Her a lot. *tears* And that is all I have to say......[/quote] Belinda, I haven't read all the posts, just down to this one. I don't know what caused you to leave the Church but I gather you were in a terrible place at the time. I've suffered deeply before myself and I've done the same thing-walk away. I was in such a terrific amount of pain it just seemed to make more sesne and felt easier at the time. But in the long run the only thing that made sense for me was therapy [to help with my suffering] and to come back to The Church. I'm not saying that your pain was like mine, not at all, but I do understand how a deep hurt can make you turn away. I'm glad you're hanging out here with friends and maybe everyone can talk and you can share with them. One of the things I did, during all my hardships and even when I was very sure I was going in another direction faith-wise, is go sit in an empty church. Sometimes I'd only be there for a few minutes-sometimes I wouldn't even pray. It wasn't to say "OK, I'm trying again." or even "I'm such a sinner" but just to slow it all down and give myself what I desperately needed---time. I noticed that everyone around me wanted to pull me this way and that when I was so emotionally confused. As I was getting help, time was my best advocate because I was the most vulnerable. Please consider right now where you are at. I don't want you to be hurting and vulnerable as you make such important choices in your life. Yes, as I became stronger and healed I was able to reach out to The Church again. I found out I may have left, but He never left me. Would you reflect a little on slowing down for me? I just want you to not hurt even more than you've been hurt before. Anyway, that's a little of my story and my experience. I hope it helps you some to know that you are not alone in your struggles and search to find peace and meaning.
Norseman82 Posted May 19, 2007 Posted May 19, 2007 Belinda, I don't know all the details of your story, but I will offer this for you to ponder to help put things into perspective: Bast/Mast/whatever did not die to get you into heaven; Jesus did.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now