An Old School Catholic Message Board

Topics On The Debate Table Must Be Debatable

homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom

If you would like to start a thread in this phorum, please observe the following:

1. Please make sure your topic is actually a debate.
For example: "Hey! How can you all support this type of behavior from your bishops?" is not a debate. "The Church teaches that the Pope has super human powers" is. (Though you probably will get a lot of arguments against... and probably have difficulty backing your position if you post that!)

2. State the topic clearly to be debated in the subject line
Please be clear in subject headings. "Bush vetoes bill and puts Americans at risk" is clear. "You'll never believe what Bush did today" is the kind of subject heading that belongs in Open Mic or elsewhere.

3. If you wish to make a poll, please make sure options are debatable.
Asking posters to vote is fine. But make sure the poll is not just asking for people's opinions (Open Mic).
"Which of the following sins causes the most damage to American society?" is debatable. "Would you fight in Iraq?" isn't.

4. Keep the cheesecake coming. :mellow:

If a thread is started that does not have a clear debate topic, the original poster will be asked to clarify the debate. If s/he posts again without clarifying, the thread will be moved or closed.

Phoenix Reborn

Maybe this should be pinned so those who are planning on making debates can see it?

Edited by Phoenix Reborn

Wait, wait, wait.

Debates have to be... [i]debatable[/i]? I do not understand. :blink:

Kidding, of course. These rules make sense.

I agreee this is very important. I have a hard time with debates.. but it's something I want to practice.

Edited by Josie07

homeschoolmom

Only if you have evidence to show that topics in the debate phorum need not be debatable.

cmotherofpirl

Any links to any anti-catholic sites will be immediately deleted, so posting trash just to start a war is a big No-No, and will be dealt with accordingly.