An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dateline Tonight At 9pm

alicemary

cathoholic_anonymous

Parts of the accompanying article are not truthful. :(

[quote]These sisters spend their days in silence and isolation, giving up not only the outside world but often whatever gives them pleasure, however small.[/quote]

That, for instance. I know many cloistered sisters and all of them have activities that they really, really enjoy, ranging from calligraphy to tennis. It's not as if the purpose of the cloister is to make you miserable.

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1271679' date='May 11 2007, 11:55 PM'][center]J.M.J.[/center]

I give it a C+. I think it was very dramatic, and it did not show much of the joyful side of becoming a nun. It did not answer why, truly, these women leave everything. It hinted at the love they have for Christ (the best part I think), but it presented it (in my opinion) in a way that would make the regular person watching the show think these women ridiculous. Like, I don't mean what the sister's were saying was ridiculous. What they said was beautiful, but the reporters, I think, did not understand it and questioned their words in a way that portrayed to the audience that Diane Sawyer (or whoever was doing the editing) thought what they had to say ridiculous. I think there was bias undertones.

I could be a little bias in this review myself. I watched it with my parents, and it made them totally fearful of me being called to the religious life. So, I was plagued with questions about my mental state which I did not altogether enjoy and take delight in. I wish I would have watched this first by myself before deciding whether to show it to them or not. The part about the sister taking the discipline... ah, that was a thirty minute conversation right there. I love how Diane added at the very end quite shortly that it was no longer practiced after she spent about three minutes talking about it and questioning it.

The sisters looked beautiful though, and I am sure that they had the purest intentions when letting Diane come in and do the interview. I wish they would have given the sisters more time to talk. I have a feeling they edited a lot of beautiful comments the sisters made.

In Jesus and Mary,
Marie[/quote]

Totally there with you on the whole watching it with my parents. They thought it was totally strange. They couldn't get over that these women don't do anything for the world. Then they asked me my opinion, and I was like, "well, I suppose it depends on how much you believe in the power of prayer." My dad said it was a "waste of a life" and my mom said it seemed "selfish." I almost cried right there in the middle of it all. I spoke only if they asked me a question but I kept quiet most of the time. My heart was wrenching, all I could do was ask Jesus to bring them faith. It was very awkward, after the celibacy part where Diane questioned the women if they were just escaping the world where they might have failed in relationships, my mom started asking me about two ex-boyfriends of mine and if I ever talk to them anymore. It was just not an enjoyable experience.

I will pray for you and your parents, TotusTuusMaria! (haha, we even have similar names! yess!)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I didn't know I was supposed to be miserable! :lol_roll:

My prioress asked me to tape it because of Mother Mary Francis. They must have taped this over a year ago because she died a year ago this February.

We don't watch TV. Sometimes we watch something special with the Holy Father or tape something that we think would be good to watch. We sometimes have a movie but it's usually an old black and white!

Your comments are very good. From our experience with the media you've got to work really really hard to get across to them the truth of the life.

Also, I'm sad to say that some cloistered communities tend to "foster" this sort of gigglingly girlishness of the nuns and not form them to be women who are spouses of Christ. It's too bad that the Rosewall nuns came across as you say they did. (I've not seen it yet.)

For those of you who have parents who feel this life is a waste--just keep giving them to the Lord and ask the Holy Spirit to enlighten them. They will come around. Most parents feel this way until they get to know the community. Then they becomes your best advocate!

Remember this life is ultimately, a mystery. Even I can't entirely understand it. I only know that I have fallen in love with God and that He has called me to give myself to Him this way! It's about acknowledging the that God is the One who has given me my life and existence. Why? So that I can love Him in return.

ofpheritup

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1271753' date='May 12 2007, 05:37 AM']Remember this life is ultimately, a mystery. Even I can't entirely understand it. I only know that I have fallen in love with God and that He has called me to give myself to Him this way! It's about acknowledging the that God is the One who has given me my life and existence. Why? So that I can love Him in return.[/quote]

I watched the program and was disappointed in its lack of content. To me it was as if I had ordered a steak dinner and was given a hamburger. It just left me wanting more.

I will be 50 years old in August and I was raised in Philadelphia. I have loved and understood the cloistered life ever since at the age of 4 my father put me in the "turn" at the monastery spun me around and I got the opportunity to visit with the nuns for an hour.

The questions that were asked left me shaking my head. One in particular I don't remember it exactly but it was women could possibly be entering because of a broken heart. Well some may that's not to say it doesn't happen but those type don't last.

At the end of the day (the end of their lives) LOVE is what impelled them to enter and it is what kept them there.
Love for God and Love for their brothers and sisters in the world.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THIS IS NOT UNDERSTOOD?
Rhetorical question.

The life has always made sense to me and always will.
One of my prayers is that the ones God is calling will have the courage to enter and for the ones already "in" the courage to persevere.

ofpheritup

I think I hit the wrong button :idontknow: .

I tried editing and it didn't work. Anywhoo.....

I wanted to finish my thought by saying I do not understand why when entering the religious life your motives are questioned. No one questioned me when I told them I was engaged.

God calls us all to serve Him in a variety of ways. I happily support everyone in their choice.
My prayers are with you.

Edited by ofpheritup

What they failed to portray was the joy of giving ones life totally to the Lord. We understand some of what contemplative life is all about, but even I have to admit the Poor Clares came across as very odd. Mother Francis wrote the book "A right to be merry", I think they left out the merry last pm!
I do not criticize Diane Sawyers questions, she was trying to get to the bottom of things. She asked good questions of the Poor clares and they merely laughed. Now, if the camera was focused on my face, I proably would be silent too, but someone should have answered.
I watched it with a dear friend who is Baptist. If I had known it was going to focus so much on the negatives, I would not have done that. He had no idea of how anyone can give up everything and live such a strict lifestyle. And the part on the discipline did not help either, so I can understand why your parents are confused also by it.
I realize that the Poor Clare Collentines lead a very austure life, but geez, it looked so somber! Any of the cloistered nun I know are basically happy woman. They take up their crosses with joy.
Will be interested in hearing Sr. Catharine what your sisters felt after they saw it. I still feel it was good, but as you said, the contemplative life is a mystery, not easily understood. I am glad that we all could share in this and discuss it

I also am looking forward to hearing whether Sr Mary Catherine's community watches the tape and what they think. I was warned in the past by a priest that his experience of meeting a few cloistered communities was that there was a lot of giggling. He felt that they had not been encouraged to develop as fully mature adults, under the guise of obedience. Sr Mary Catherine's comment reminds me of that observation.

After the initial formation for first vows and then final profession, ongoing formation is supposed to be part of religious life. The ABC said that the nuns never get to read any secular books, but I wonder whether that is accurate. I'm not thinking random novel reading per se, but what about a history book or poetry or a biography now and then? Of course, there is the question of what books would be available, especially in a cloistered community.

I read a characterization once that St Francis and his followers rejected an emphasis on education (in contrast the the Dominicans who valued it highly, though both groups were founded as mendicant orders). I wonder if some of that anti-intellectual sentiment lingers in some Poor Clare houses.

I really am not sure about Poor Clares and education, but you are right about the importance of study to Dominicans. I know several Dominican contemplatives and they are well learned indeed. They read a variety of topics, all centered on developing their religious life. I would be intersted in hearing from those Franciscans out there....do you know their take on reading? And from the Summit Dominican blog,we all know they enjoy the Sunday paper!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I do know the Mother Abbess will read the paper to alert the other Sister's to situations going on, especially those in need of prayers. The same with the news. Now, as for actual books, I am not sure, but I have had a chance to sit in on a Novitiate class. There was lecture and notetaking. I found it to be very informative and I cannot wait until I get to be the student! I would not say they have no education at all though! They learn about the things that get them through their life. They learn what they need to learn to take care of themselves and the monastery. Some of the things you need to know in the monastery, you can only learn inside the monastery!

Speaking of education and the cloister-Are you all aware of the Abbey of Regina Laudis in Connecticut? These are Benedictine Nuns of the Primitive Observance, so all their Mass and Divine Office chant remains in Latin (They are Novus ordo for Mass), wear traditional habits, and, I believe, chant Matins in the middle of the night.

They also have a big farm, with dairy and cattle and other livestock and a coagulated milk-making operation. They sent three of their nuns back to UConn to get PhD's-one was in microbiology and she studied the microbial ecology of coagulated milk ripening so they could understand and preserve traditional methods of coagulated milk production. Another studied animal husbandry/reproductive physiology for reasons that are obvious when you think about raising livestock. I cannot remember what the third nun studied. There is a documentary called "The coagulated milk Nun" that was on PBS about the one who studied coagulated milk ripening- she later got a Fulbright and went to France for a year getting samples of the unique microbes in various coagulated milk making facilities in France. All in full habit, BTW.

Regina Laudis and Our Lady of the Rock on Shaw Island in Washington both farm and raise animals and have dairies. It's part of the Benedictine thing of being self-sufficient that I really respect greatly. I have reservations about communities that live totally on alms- not that I doubt divine providence- but it feels like "buying prayers" in spite of protests to the contrary. That's why I like the Benedictine/Cistercian/Trappist self-sufficiency thing.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Graciela' post='1272037' date='May 12 2007, 06:04 PM']Speaking of education and the cloister-Are you all aware of the Abbey of Regina Laudis in Connecticut? These are Benedictine Nuns of the Primitive Observance, so all their Mass and Divine Office chant remains in Latin (They are Novus ordo for Mass), wear traditional habits, and, I believe, chant Matins in the middle of the night.

They also have a big farm, with dairy and cattle and other livestock and a coagulated milk-making operation. They sent three of their nuns back to UConn to get PhD's-one was in microbiology and she studied the microbial ecology of coagulated milk ripening so they could understand and preserve traditional methods of coagulated milk production. Another studied animal husbandry/reproductive physiology for reasons that are obvious when you think about raising livestock. I cannot remember what the third nun studied. There is a documentary called "The coagulated milk Nun" that was on PBS about the one who studied coagulated milk ripening- she later got a Fulbright and went to France for a year getting samples of the unique microbes in various coagulated milk making facilities in France. All in full habit, BTW.

Regina Laudis and Our Lady of the Rock on Shaw Island in Washington both farm and raise animals and have dairies. It's part of the Benedictine thing of being self-sufficient that I really respect greatly. I have reservations about communities that live totally on alms- not that I doubt divine providence- but it feels like "buying prayers" in spite of protests to the contrary. That's why I like the Benedictine/Cistercian/Trappist self-sufficiency thing.[/quote]

It's not "buying prayers". Yes, some people probably see it that way when they approach us. But when we give a priest a Mass stipend do we see it as "buying a Mass"?

It's very humbling to live on alms. We live totally on Divine Providence and He provides even the little things that aren't necessary but can be fore our enjoyment! If you see mendicancy within the context of the Mystical Body of Christ you can understand it better. And look at the Acts of the Apostles when the chose the first deacons. Why? So "that we can concentrate on prayer and the word of God." When you think of it, a parish lives on alms.

In our country it is possible to be dependent on the alms of others but this isn't so in Europe or Asia Pacific in many places.

When a community has an "industry" like the trappistines, etc. it can easily becomes the focus of the community. It's not easy to find a balance.

AlterDominicus

Sister Mary Catharine is right.

Total Divine Providence.

After all what would we be if did not look to God and trust Him, I mean you cant say you love someone and not trust them.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

We watched the 20/20 segment tonight at recreation.
It really wasn't that bad at all. It was much better than I thought it would be, all things considered.

I didn't think the Sisters were giggling that much! The questions would have sent us into laughter, too! I mean, it's the way she asked the questions!

I had to laugh at the slow motion walking nun! HAH!

I was suprised about the Trappistines and not being able to read anything secular. We read good, classic novels, poetry, essays, books that feed the mind so as to feed the soul. But every tradition is different.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1272051' date='May 12 2007, 05:17 PM']It's not "buying prayers". Yes, some people probably see it that way when they approach us. But when we give a priest a Mass stipend do we see it as "buying a Mass"?

It's very humbling to live on alms. We live totally on Divine Providence and He provides even the little things that aren't necessary but can be fore our enjoyment! If you see mendicancy within the context of the Mystical Body of Christ you can understand it better. And look at the Acts of the Apostles when the chose the first deacons. Why? So "that we can concentrate on prayer and the word of God." When you think of it, a parish lives on alms.

In our country it is possible to be dependent on the alms of others but this isn't so in Europe or Asia Pacific in many places.

When a community has an "industry" like the trappistines, etc. it can easily becomes the focus of the community. It's not easy to find a balance.[/quote]

Appreciate your perspective here, Sister. You make a good case for reliance on alms. Thought I would add this link from our midwestern [url="http://www.mississippiabbey.org/?p=37"]Trappistines[/url] on how their tradition views work. The TV segment really didn't go into much detail here.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I received this from the Trappistines in Wrentham. Thought you'd all appreciate reading this!

"Thank you for your email. We were disappointed in the segment as it seemed to zero in the sensational. They actually filmed here for five whole days and that is all that came out of it. Another aspect which was pure TV bias was that of the seven women who came to that weekend five have taken steps from there - they totally omitted that and all they had was the two walking away to continue at Harvard and Yale!!!! They did show Catherine who entered Carmel but one is now here as a postulant, the other comes next Sunday, one enters in August, Francis comes as an Observer soon and one joined our Cistercian Lay Associates.

As you say she did her best and that is all any of us can do."