An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hypothetical Birth Control Scenario...

kujo

Say a woman has 3 children with her husband. They're both Catholic and are using NFP. But, after the 3rd child, her ob/gyn tells her that another pregnancy could be so dangerous that her and her baby could die.

Would it be morally permissible for the man or the woman to take measures to ensure this danger is averted? Specifically, would it be okay for the woman to get her tubes tied, or the man have a vasectomy?

KnightofChrist

They could just not have sex if it is that much of a danger. But what pacific reason would she and her child die of if she was with child again?

Cancer? My Father's mother was thought to have it when she was carrying my father the doctors suggested aborting the child and removing the Cancers parts of her womb, she refused, gave birth to my father then had the cancer removed.

She was always I good catholic mother, grandmother. Pretty sure what she did was right.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1272324' date='May 13 2007, 03:43 AM']But what pacific reason would she and her child die of if she was with child again?[/quote]

When she gets pregnant, she has gestastional diabetes and has problems with her blood pressure. During the last pregnancy, her blood pressure was so low that she had to be hospitalize for 2 weeks and then they had to induce labor 6 weeks early.

Actually, this is not a hypothetical situation. This is exactly what my spiritual advisor and his wife are going through right now. They are pregnant with their third child and have been told that a forth pregnancy could be extremely dangerous for the mom and child. They don't know what to do...