Norseman82 Posted May 17, 2007 Posted May 17, 2007 (edited) [quote name='jckinsman' post='1274894' date='May 16 2007, 03:10 AM'] Broccoli is fun to grow! But you really need the space for it![/quote] I've had some success with broccoli in the past. One thing about it: it is a cool weather plant. You probably will not get the harvest until later in October or early November (in my experience, at least) - but then again, it will be ready for Thanksgiving dinner. Edited May 17, 2007 by Norseman82
Sojourner Posted May 17, 2007 Author Posted May 17, 2007 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1275554' date='May 16 2007, 10:38 PM']If you are using mulch as a weed barrier, I would suggest that you leave a clearing around where you are planting your seeds...and know the difference between the plants and weeds. I'm also experimenting with a method this year using milk bottle caps. I remember reading about a mixture of urine, chewing tobacco, dish liquid, and someting else that when you sprayed it by your plant bed it would keep animals away.[/quote] yeah I am not going to know the difference probably, at least not right away. Hopefully I will figure it out ... what are you doing with milk caps? And I'm not spraying urine anywhere near my garden. Cayenne pepper is as crazy as I get.
homeschoolmom Posted May 17, 2007 Posted May 17, 2007 [quote name='Terra Firma' post='1275558' date='May 16 2007, 11:46 PM']And I'm not spraying urine anywhere near my garden. Cayenne pepper is as crazy as I get.[/quote] HStot could come up there and help you out... he's got pretty good aim.
Sojourner Posted May 17, 2007 Author Posted May 17, 2007 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1275555' date='May 16 2007, 10:42 PM']I've had some success with broccoli in the past. One thing about it: it is a cool weather plant. You probably will not get the harvest until later in October or early November (in my experience, at least) - but then again, it will be ready for Thanksgiving dinner.[/quote] yeah that's when my mom's usually matures. I wonder if it might be earlier since I am farther north?
Sojourner Posted May 17, 2007 Author Posted May 17, 2007 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1275559' date='May 16 2007, 10:48 PM']HStot could come up there and help you out... he's got pretty good aim.[/quote] He is the perfect male child: Witty Spiritual Smart Has good aim
Norseman82 Posted May 17, 2007 Posted May 17, 2007 [quote name='Terra Firma' post='1275558' date='May 16 2007, 11:46 PM']what are you doing with milk caps?[/quote] When you stop by I'll show you. (Now THAT is guaranteed to get you down here!).
Lil Red Posted May 17, 2007 Posted May 17, 2007 [quote name='Terra Firma' post='1274257' date='May 15 2007, 02:04 PM']The ironic thing is that when I was a kid, I used to hate gardening. In fact, when mom sent me out to weed I used to pull the wrong things on purpose so I wouldn't have to do it. As an adult, I've really come to love it. This is my first opportunity to have a real big vegetable garden though, so I am hoping that I'm not doing all this work to feed the wildlife ...[/quote] me too : [quote name='jckinsman' post='1275187' date='May 16 2007, 02:17 PM']How do you get that darn cougar to urinate on your plants though? [/quote]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now