An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Wish Congress Would Take A 2 Month Vacation

Lounge Daddy

Lounge Daddy

I saw in the news that Iraq's parliament is to take a 2 month vacation. This is a great idea and I think our own congress should follow suit.
Heck - they can even take a hike and not come back for 3 or 4 months.

What have they all done since being lead by a bunch of 1970's era throwbacks?

hoosieranna

If Congress took a longer break, people would probably complain about the break being "too French." Complaints will fly whatever happens. Frankly, I'd like that sort of break when I get a real job (I'm a student right now :D:).

Edited by Nadezhda

journeyman

Or they could follow the example of Virginia, and make being an elected representative a part time job - full time for 30 days in one year, and 45 days in alternate years - while it won't put an end to being a "professional" politician, it might focus their attention on the big issues - there is the option for overtime if they have to call a special session - it might also go a long way to removing the disconnect between the representative's world "inside the beltway" and the constituent's world "out in the heartland"

[quote name='journeyman' post='1277423' date='May 19 2007, 01:26 PM']Or they could follow the example of Virginia, and make being an elected representative a part time job - full time for 30 days in one year, and 45 days in alternate years - while it won't put an end to being a "professional" politician, it might focus their attention on the big issues - there is the option for overtime if they have to call a special session - it might also go a long way to removing the disconnect between the representative's world "inside the beltway" and the constituent's world "out in the heartland"[/quote]

That is the way that the founder of our nation intended it to be. I had forgotten that. Thanks for the reminder.