An Old School Catholic Message Board

Past, Present, And Future Sins Forgiven And Judgemend Day?

thessalonian

thessalonian

I heard a rather interesting talk by RC Sproul today. [url="http://www.ligonier.org/"]http://www.ligonier.org/[/url] it’s todays on forgiveness, the resurrection….
Many protestants believe that our past, present, and future sins are forgiven. RC Sproul talked about guilt “the bible teaches and Christ taught that every human being will stand accountable before God for his life”. “every idle word will come in to the judgment”. “Those tiny details will come in to the judgment, every serious thing that we do, everything that we say and think and do we are going to face can accounting for”. So if past, present and future sins are forgiven and far from God’s mind, then why are they placed before us at judgment? Now as I understand it Mr. Sproul is a Calvanist and would believe that past, present, and future sins are forgiven when we are born again. They are far from God’s mind. Yet it seems that today he is saying they are out of God’s mind until judgement day when he rubs them in our faces again. Of course I do believe that all sin that has not been fully expunged from our souls at death has to be. But I think there are some real problems with Mr. Sproul’s theology here. Seems like there’s some contradicting going on. Do you catch my drift.

jesussaves

You are apparently unfamiliar with a great percentage of protestant belief. We are forgiven for all sins, but that doesn't mean we are unaccountable for them. We are saved, but we otherwise reap what we sow. Some get more rewards than others in heaven.

Guest T-Bone

All my protestant friends claim that there are no more rewards in Heaven for good behavior.

Jesussaves--do you also believe that there are different levels of punishment for the damned?

thessalonian

JS,

No, I am quite familiar with it. So our sins are forgotten by God (what is that verse, "as far as ....your sins are from the mind of God" or something like that) until the day of judgement when he rubs our face in them? listen to the link if you don't beleive me. That seems to me to be exactly what Mr. Sproul says.

Catholics believe in reward as well. Im my experience however I am not sure that would be a majority position in protestantism. Maybe. At any rate seems there is alot of confusion going on here and from what I heard of Mr. Sproul it doesn't sound like the sins were forgiven. I think he went too far. Also I get a whisper of something needing purgation out of his comments. But neither he nor you will acknowledge it I doudt.

Edited by thessalonian

thessalonian

Here it is, psalm 103

11: For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
12: as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.

Comforting isn't it.

And these:

Ez 21
34: And no longer shall each man teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, `Know the LORD,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."

Hebrews, chapter 8

12: For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more."

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='jesussaves' post='1274300' date='May 15 2007, 04:30 PM']You are apparently unfamiliar with a great percentage of protestant belief. We are forgiven for all sins, but that doesn't mean we are unaccountable for them. We are saved, but we otherwise reap what we sow.[/quote]

Sounds like purgatory to me...

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='jesussaves' post='1274300' date='May 15 2007, 06:30 PM']You are apparently unfamiliar with a great percentage of protestant belief. We are forgiven for all sins, but that doesn't mean we are unaccountable for them. We are saved, but we otherwise reap what we sow. Some get more rewards than others in heaven.[/quote]I recall that "the wages of sin is death" ([url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/romans/romans6.htm#v23"]Romans 6:23[/url]). But, it almost sounds like you're saying that the final judgment just determines which heavenly mansion we'll live in. Is that the eternal consequence of sin in your belief system? Why should anyone fear such a judgment? How does this relate to the account of the Gospel of St. Matthew, Chapter 25?

Finally, you state, "we are saved." Yet, evangelicals here admit that a person can deceive himself into believing in a salvation he does not possess. Do you agree that a person can deceive himself regarding whether he is saved? Could it be that the Judgment Day is portrayed as a fearful day because our salvation or damnation is only revealed [u]after[/u] we die?