An Old School Catholic Message Board

Grave Reasons For Nfp

cathochick

1Cr 7:9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.--KJV

Greek for word BURN..

4448. puroo
Search for G4448 in KJVSL
purow puroo poo-ro'-o

from 4442; to kindle, i.e. (passively) to be ignited, glow (literally), be refined (by implication), or (figuratively) to be inflamed (with anger, grief, lust):--burn, fiery, be on fire, try.

See Greek 4442

hmmm

Im sure you have a point budge. But what is it?

Lust=sin=hell.

If you are gonna have a problem lusting then single life is not for you. Get married.

There is a good lecture on marriage by Steve ray where he talks about the wife helping in preventing the husband from sin by this very concept.

Norseman82

What difference does it make whether it is translated burn vs. aflame with passion, etc.? The bottom line from the context is that not everyone can handle lifelong celibacy.

I imagine that the translators who translated it as "aflame with passion" were working off some greek idiomatic phrase of the time period.

I also imagine it likely that our idiomatic phrase of simply saying "burn" did not directly connotate hell. Is this phrase used anywhere in the Bible to do so? Simply the word burn, with no other contextual words referring to hell, I mean. I don't think so, and I don't think St. Paul would have used that distinctive idiomatic phrase to refer to hell.