An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You View Bush As Pro Life?

mofca

Given his history of executions as the Gov. of Texas and the war in Iraq, I would have to say no, he is not pro life.

Glad to see someone who is not taken in by all the media praise of good old President Bush.

I consider him a butchering murder who has betrayed the human race for his friends for their greed for oil and power!

RezaMikhaeil

1.) When he had control of the house and senate [it was controlled by republicans], he didn't even propose a bill that would abolish abortions
2.) He executed more people in the state of texas, then every single gov in US History.
3.) He led the country to war, based very loosely upon his intelligence speculation [George Tenent wrote in his book, that himself, colin powell, among others knew that the war was wrong], that cost thousands of lives.

Does that appear to be pro-life?

Katholikos

Not as pro-life as I would hope for, but a jillion times better than Clinton and the Dems. I as a taxpayer am paying for many fewer abortions now than I was previously. He gets A's on his Supreme Court appointees (Bork agrees with me). But perfection on this issue, he is not.

Likos

kamiller42

Executions in Texas are controlled by the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, not the governor. The best a governor can do is to grant a stay. Why does the governor just outlaw executions? Because it requires the people and the legislation. Governors are not kings. How do convicts get a capital punishment sentence? Other than committing a capital offense, a jury decides. A jury means you and me.

Here's some reading...
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Texas#Legal_procedure"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punis...Legal_procedure[/url]
[url="http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/exec_clem/exec_clem.html"]http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/exec_clem/exec_clem.html[/url]

Is Bush pro-life? He is not perfect, but he is the most pro-life president in recent history.

cathoholic_anonymous

From across the water George Bush does not look particularly pro-life at all. I get disillusioned with politicians. They promise something during the election campaign and then fail to deliver. :(

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1275640' date='May 17 2007, 01:13 AM']Executions in Texas are controlled by the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, not the governor. The best a governor can do is to grant a stay. Why does the governor just outlaw executions? Because it requires the people and the legislation. Governors are not kings. How do convicts get a capital punishment sentence? Other than committing a capital offense, a jury decides. A jury means you and me.

Here's some reading...
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Texas#Legal_procedure"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punis...Legal_procedure[/url]
[url="http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/exec_clem/exec_clem.html"]http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/exec_clem/exec_clem.html[/url]

Is Bush pro-life? He is not perfect, but he is the most pro-life president in recent history.[/quote]

Mr. Bush was asked during an interview, upon his initial campaign for president, about texas deathrow and his response was, "I'm absolutely posetive that everyone that was put to death, was guilty" but that isn't the truth. Check the track record, there are numerous people that have been put to death in Texas, during Mr. Bush's watch that were innocent and proven to be innocent after their execution.

Note: A capitol punishment trial is much more then that. It isn't "you and me" that sentence these individuals to death or not, in the case of Richard Cartwright, the individual that was guilty of the offense, had written a letter to his girlfriend [not richard's girlfriend, the man that had committed the murder] and admitted to the crime, but the judge refused to allow the letter be heard in court as evidence, and Richard was put to death, despite his daughter's [who was very young but knew what was going on] need for her father to be here on earth for her. Is that pro-life?

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1275643' date='May 17 2007, 01:53 AM']From across the water George Bush does not look particularly pro-life at all. I get disillusioned with politicians. They promise something during the election campaign and then fail to deliver. :([/quote]

No doubt about that...

Edited by RezaLemmyng

no he is not, but the actual pro-life movement has little to do with capital punishment, and even less to do with war

goldenchild17

I do not consider him very pro-life, although he's done some nice things for the pro-life cause. But I do not take into consideration his support of the death penalty because I fully support the death penalty and do not see that as a factor in "pro-life" or not.

hoosieranna

He says whatever he thinks will win him support. Most politicians do exactly the same thing. What he says may or may not coincide with his personal views.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1275636' date='May 17 2007, 02:50 AM']1.) When he had control of the house and senate [it was controlled by republicans], he didn't even propose a bill that would abolish abortions
2.) He executed more people in the state of texas, then every single gov in US History.
3.) He led the country to war, based very loosely upon his intelligence speculation [George Tenent wrote in his book, that himself, colin powell, among others knew that the war was wrong], that cost thousands of lives.

Does that appear to be pro-life?[/quote]

Point of fact, the president doesn't propose bills. They must originate in one of the houses of congress.

Blame the republican wimps in congress for that one.

[quote name='GodChaser' post='1275556' date='May 16 2007, 10:44 PM']Glad to see someone who is not taken in by all the media praise of good old President Bush.[/quote]
:lol_pound:

What media are you referring to? The Republican channel?

To answer your question, no he's not pro-life. But he's closer than anyone else he's run against, so you either vote for him or you vote for a third party guy or you just vote for Christopher West.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1276055' date='May 17 2007, 05:04 PM']Point of fact, the president doesn't propose bills. They must originate in one of the houses of congress.

Blame the republican wimps in congress for that one.[/quote]

That's not true, the President definately can propose laws and bills.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1276104' date='May 17 2007, 05:54 PM']That's not true, the President definitely can propose laws and bills.[/quote]

Technically, anyone can propose bills, but that's not the way it works. Try a different method of Bush-bashing.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1276108' date='May 17 2007, 05:59 PM']Technically, anyone can propose bills, but that's not the way it works. Try a different method of Bush-bashing.[/quote]

It's not "bush bashing", check yourself. It's simply stating the facts, Mr. Bush promised his followers that he'd outlaw abortion, he didn't do it. Simple and plain. He's also proposed several laws while being in power, so to say that he "can't do it" is ridiculous, as he's proposed lots of different laws from everything from illegal immigration, to various laws applicable to "the war on terror".

Reza