An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Carmelite Heart

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

This is for Carmelite Hearts I think...:rolleyes:

(with loving thanks to Gabriel!)

I have a friend here in Singapore (Gabriel) who sent me an email saying that there was going to be a Vocation Prayer evening tonight at St Teresa's Church and that he heard one of the Carmelite nuns would be there giving a talk about her own vocation journey. He knows I am going to be a Carmelite, so is always keeping an eye out for me! Because the Carmelite convent here is being renovated, the 15 nuns are split into three different houses and are not cloistered right now.

So, I went to St Teresa's tonight (first time there) and saw two sisters chatting out front. One was definitely Carmelite and the other was in white, but not Dominican, so I wasn't sure. I went up and introduced myself and one of them was Sister Angeline, the Carmelite who was going to speak, and the other was Sister Geraldine, a Canossian. This was perfect for me on two counts - meeting a Carmelite nun and also being able to ask the Canossian sister about volunteering for the Aged Home (since I have so much time on my hands, I wanted to do some volunteer work for the Church). Sister Geraldine gave me the information about volunteering and said she would let the Home know that I was going to call next week. Sister Angeline just took me into her heart and told me so much about herself, and about life in Carmel. She asked about my journey and I told her that I was a convert who had learned the rosary from my neighbors as a child. She said that is why I had ended up in Carmel, because it is Our Lady's order and she had obviously taken me over then. :rolleyes:

Then we went into the Adoration Chapel for about half an hour before the Prayer meeting. During the meeting, we had exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and said readings from the Office and sang a hymn etc. Then Sister Angeline gave her little talk, and it was funny and sweet. There were four other Carmelites from her community there as well.

At the end of her talk, Sister Angeline announced to everyone (lots of discerners there) that I was entering Carmel in July (God willing), and that was so kind of her because it made people feel they could come up and meet me afterwards, so I got to talk to some lovely people. One of these was a lady who said she had entered Carmel in 1988 but had left, but now she was sorry and wanted to go back in. She started asking me about Wolverhampton, and I said I would send her details via email. so we might have another one heading our way! :rolleyes:

Then Sister Angeline insisted I come share the refreshments with everyone after the meeting, and I got to chat with all the Carmelite nuns there - so kind and loving. Then they took me with them back to the chapel to say the night office, and showed me where to read so I could join them. I was very scared of messing up, but I just sang very softly and everything seemed to be ok - lol! When we finished, they all said they would pray for me. I felt like I was being embraced in my heart by each one of them.

I left the church feeling so much peace and joy and that feeling has stayed with me through the night. Sister Angeline kept talking about one of the joys of being a Carmelite is intimacy with God - and I feel so blessed that God has asked me to be a Carmelite.

The hard part is the waiting, but I am trying to see it as my gift of surrender to God. Sister Angeline waited 6 years to enter, so I am not going to be too impatient now! When I got home, I had a sweet email from Mother Prioress in Wolverhampton, and that was enough to complete my night!

Praise God for His mercies

:pray:

AlterDominicus

Waiting yes....we shouldnt wait...we are not supposed to

The so called "waiting" is really a, "Postitive decision to continue to move foreward and ever deeper in the spiritual life." ~ Sister Joseph Andrew O.P. FEB Retreat, 2007.

So there nunsense! You dont have to wait.

:lol:

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1277343' date='May 19 2007, 09:38 AM']Waiting yes....we shouldnt wait...we are not supposed to

The so called "waiting" is really a, "Postitive decision to continue to move foreward and ever deeper in the spiritual life." ~ Sister Joseph Andrew O.P. FEB Retreat, 2007.

So there nunsense! You dont have to wait.

:lol:[/quote]

Wow! Great words from Sr. JA... :)

AccountDeleted

Yes, you are all right of course. But it still feels like waiting - lol :rolleyes:.

Tonight I am trying especially hard just to be grateful for where I am instead of longing to be in the convent, but sometimes it isn't as easy as other times. Last night praying the Night Office with the nuns was so special for me that I just want to be there again - permanently. :love: It was like a taste of heaven - and then I had to come back to earth! But anticipation is a gift in itself.

Edited by nunsense

Ora et Labora

That's great. :) I'm almost jealous of you! ;) The convent you're entering is very pretty, and it looks so peaceful...

AccountDeleted

I just love that quote in your signature - it gives me goosebumps! :rolleyes:

"I belong to Him Whom the Angels serve."

:love:

Ora et Labora

aww thanks!! ^_^ yes, i also love it. st. agnes has alsways been a personal favorite of mine, because of her purity and simplicity. yours is worth thinking about-i like it! :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1278806' date='May 22 2007, 09:36 AM']aww thanks!! ^_^ yes, i also love it. st. agnes has alsways been a personal favorite of mine, because of her purity and simplicity. yours is worth thinking about-i like it! :)[/quote]

Well, I personally would change my signature quote slightly, but it was written by my previous spiritual director in his book, so I can't change it and still quote him.

I like to think of it more as "God has taken possession of my soul through grace." :love:

and of course I am also quite prepared for step 2 of the saying "... through death" as well, but I wanted to keep it simple. :rolleyes:

Edited by nunsense

Ora et Labora
:lol: that's a good quote, i really do :love: it! and your spiritual director wrote a book?? my, he must be a holy man. at least, he sounds like it. ^_^ yes! simplicity is everything, lol.