Jaime Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 You'll notice that holiness and orthodoxy are left off the poll choices. I know that some pholks will look at this poll and immediately go for one of those. Let's just presume for the sake of argument that these two are inferred. If you have a holy and orthodox priest, what quality do you think is most important in his vocation of ministering to you and your parish?
franciscanheart Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 well, in my mind, if he's holy, he's also humble. so that makes that poll tough.
homeschoolmom Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 that's funny, I did scan (a couple of times) for holiness before learning why it wasn't there... so.... Wow... I'm going to have to think on that...
Sojourner Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 well, I would say love ... but maybe you're considering that's part of holiness? Cuz that's not one of the choices.
Jaime Posted May 21, 2007 Author Posted May 21, 2007 It seemed kind of pointless to have holy as a choice. I would think that everyone would rank it #1.
Sojourner Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 yeah, that is true ... it's just a matter of what characteristics you are including in your definition of "holy"
Alphabeta Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 I think wisdom more or less includes all the other qualities.
franciscanheart Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 [quote name='Alphabeta' post='1278415' date='May 21 2007, 07:40 AM']I think wisdom more or less includes all the other qualities.[/quote] I don't know that it would necessarily be called wisdom. You might call it prudence, however, and that would probably be my next pick after holiness. Wisdom is a gift given to a person by the Holy Spirit. Prudence is a choice we make. (At least that's how I see it.)
Jaime Posted May 21, 2007 Author Posted May 21, 2007 kinda hopin pholks would comment on their choices (or lack thereof) Discuss
Didymus Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 I said empathy, because I've known quite a few priests who were wise and were good speakers, but when they're kind and empathetic towards others, it seems like they are much more Christ-like, and may even bring more back into the fold.
Sojourner Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 I said other because I think the most important quality is love. You wouldn't elaborate on your definitions of holiness ... but for purposes of determining a "most important quality" I think it could be addressed separately. I didn't choose knowledge, because I figure that's included in the definition of orthodoxy. You can't be orthodox if you don't have knowledge of what that means. A priest should be willing to sacrifice his own desires out of love for the Church in imitation of Christ. I think love could encompass things like compassion and empathy, and it would also include wisdom ... knowledge lovingly applied to a given situation.
XIX Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 (edited) You left off "ability to make 's" Edited May 21, 2007 by XIX
LouisvilleFan Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 [quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1278404' date='May 21 2007, 09:30 AM']well, in my mind, if he's holy, he's also humble. so that makes that poll tough.[/quote] I'd actually disagree. It doesn't matter how holy you are, we all have very unholy weaknesses (unless you're that 1-in-a-billion blessed with some kind of special grace). For some people, pride in themselves is that weakness, and it's an easy one to fall into when you're the guy that a few hundred or thousand people look up to for spiritual guidance. I voted for "good speaker," which in my mind is good presentation along with quality content, especially including catechesis in homilies. I think it's lame that I've learned Baptist theology from listening to Baptist sermons, but I had to read the catechism and apologetics books to learn Catholic theology because priests (even the orthodox ones) rarely get into the reasoning behind the faith or interpretation of Scripture. I'm more likely to hear a quote from the Church Fathers from my old Baptist pastor than during a homily. Catholic priests should be among the best preachers in any part of the country, but too often we cop out by claiming that the Eucharist is the primary part of Mass. Well, if we aren't preaching worth a carp, what kind of testimony are we giving to non-Catholics about this great Eucharist thing?
scardella Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 I think it kinda depends on needs and strengths of the parish... Different parishes have different needs in the parish priest(s). A parish that is in financial trouble needs a good administrator to keep costs in check. A parish with a lukewarm congregation needs a good speaker/homilist to ignite the spark. A parish that has orthodoxy issues needs someone who can gently lead the congregation back to orthodoxy.
The Joey-O Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 I feel like, if I vote "good speaker", I'd be getting a protestant pastor instead of a priest...
MIKolbe Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 i voted humility.. though i think alot of these characteristics are NOT mutually exclusive. but i think it all starts with being humble....
DemonSlayer Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 Probably a mix of empathy, humility and knowledge mostly.
Groo the Wanderer Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1278438' date='May 21 2007, 09:56 AM']compassion[/quote] I voted 'other' My answer would be obedience (to the Pope and the magisterium).
scardella Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 [quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1278534' date='May 21 2007, 12:43 PM']I voted 'other' My answer would be obedience (to the Pope and the magisterium).[/quote] Wouldn't that be under humility?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now