fearundercontrol Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 A while ago (well, actually, not all too long ago) I talked about the possibility of me going to a place called Centre Syracuse for treatment for an eating disorder. But things got better and I decided not to and just try things with the new therapist. Well things have gotten worse again and my therapist, who is really good and I like a lot, has suggested Centre Syracuse. I filled out an initial information form online and they will contact me once they receive it. I also called to ask some questions, and the person on the phone asked if I wanted to set up an appointment for an evaluation, but I said not yet because I haven't talked to my parents yet. I am really worried about it. My dad wasn't fond of the idea when it was last brought up, and on top of that it would mean no summer job, and my dad has been furious that I haven't had a job the past two summers, even though it was because emotionally I just couldn't handle it. To not have a job AGAIN would blow his top. But I know I need the help or this is going to continue to be a never-ending circle. And I really don't want that. So please pray that when I bring this up to my parents, things go smoothly and my dad is okay with it. I would really hate to have to go around my dad.
Jaime Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 If I recall, you were absolutely convinced that your dad was going to react poorly when you told him about your eating disorder. I remember you saying he was way cooler about it than you thought. Maybe that will be the case again! Keep moving forward. Day by day you will get healthier. Prayers
Brigid Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 prayers! I'll ask mommy Mary to look after you. and the Patron Saints Index claims that there aren't any patrons of eating disorders, but St. Syncletica is sort of close, so I'll ask her to pray for you, too! (she's patron of sickness and against temptations... her story's pretty interesting. [url="http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=813)"]http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=813)[/url]
homeschoolmom Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 Not speaking for your dad or anything... but I'm going to guess that he would rather help you get treatment than have to plan your funeral.
Sojourner Posted May 21, 2007 Posted May 21, 2007 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1278641' date='May 21 2007, 02:36 PM']Not speaking for your dad or anything... but I'm going to guess that he would rather help you get treatment than have to plan your funeral.[/quote] that seems reasonable
iggyjoan Posted May 22, 2007 Posted May 22, 2007 *hug* i'm so glad you're getting help!!! i will pray for you!!!!!!!!
Seven77 Posted May 22, 2007 Posted May 22, 2007 God bless you! May you continue to perservere empowered by the Holy Spirit! Keep going!
fearundercontrol Posted May 22, 2007 Author Posted May 22, 2007 I filled out seven (yes, seven) assessment forms yesterday after they received my initial information form. I'm going to make that appointment by the end of this week. I really can't wait. I can't believe I'm doing this! It's really nerve wracking because part of me doesn't want the help and is scared to let go and and absolutely petrified of gaining weight, but at the same time I am really sick of this and want it to stop so I can finally enjoy life and eat without feeling guilty about it. It will be a long ten weeks.
fearundercontrol Posted May 22, 2007 Author Posted May 22, 2007 (edited) I just made the appointment. My friend Kristin is going to take me Thursday of next week. She's also going to sit down with me and my parents on Monday to talk to them about it. Her sister was hospitalized for bulimia and it was a huge help so she thought it might be a good idea for her to talk to them since she has experience with having a family member get help for an eating disorder. I am SO NERVOUS though! I'm not sure which is more nerve wracking, getting help or telling my parents. Edited May 22, 2007 by fearundercontrol
kafka Posted May 22, 2007 Posted May 22, 2007 when you start getting help you will feel relieved and a lot better. Like getting something off your chest. Hopefully your doctor will be good. One thing to keep in mind is if the doctor is good you will have to trust him and follow his advice.
fearundercontrol Posted May 22, 2007 Author Posted May 22, 2007 Thanks you guys. It's really nice to know I've got people supporting me!!!
fearundercontrol Posted May 24, 2007 Author Posted May 24, 2007 Plans have changed slightly. I'm bringing my mom in at the end of my therapy appt. today to tell her about what's going on. My appt. is at 1:30 (EST). I'm assuming my mom is going to tell my dad some time after dinner. I am so nervous.
fearundercontrol Posted May 24, 2007 Author Posted May 24, 2007 The appointment went well, I think. I ended up bringing my mom in at the beginning of the appointment, which was good because it gave us the entire time to discuss it, which I think was needed. However I didn't get anything resembling an "I'm proud of you for getting help" from my mom. Now I just have to wait for my dad's reaction after my mom tells him. I think I'm getting more nervous about getting help now. It's really scary, knowing that I'm going to have to try to let go of this. I'm really sick of it and want to be done with it, but at the same time it's familiar and I see it almost as a necessity. I hate feeling so conflicted and so scared.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now