An Old School Catholic Message Board

God As A Mystery

carrdero

There has been at least one time in your life that you have heard someone say that God is a Mystery or that the Lord works in mysterious ways. Does anyone agree with this?

Why would God keep things secret from humans or other entities?

Does God have a private life?

Is it this mysterious quality that some people never become interested in God?

Is admitting that God is a mystery just an admittance that we really do not know God or understand His nature?

Edited by carrdero

I think you're looking too much into the saying.

"The Lord works in mysterious ways"
People often tell me this when ive been hurt..."Well, chelsea, the Lord works in mysterious ways. Something good will come out of this."

God doesnt really have a "private" life, but he knows a whole ton more than we do. He is all-knowing, and we are definately not.

RezaMikhaeil

Interesting topic, the phrase, "God works in mysterious ways" heavily applies to the Eastern Churches, as with the Eucharist, we don't speculate or even attempt to make a hypothesis in regards to what point the bread/wine becomes Jesus's Body/Flesh, we simply have faith in what Jesus said and leave the rest to mystery.

Sure there are things God knows that are a mystery...

1Cr 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known

But remember Christians are NOT stuck worshipping the "unknown" god. God can be known via His Word and Relationship with the Holy Spirit indwelling in the believer.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1288599' date='Jun 5 2007, 09:30 AM']Interesting topic, the phrase, "God works in mysterious ways" heavily applies to the Eastern Churches, as with the Eucharist, we don't speculate or even attempt to make a hypothesis in regards to what point the bread/wine becomes Jesus's Body/Flesh, we simply have faith in what Jesus said and leave the rest to mystery.[/quote]

Aprophatism?

There's a quote: "If we always understood God, He wouldn't be God." or something similar... If God's foolishness is wiser than our wisdom, then it would follow that He has a "private life" utterly even beyond our capacity to understand.

[quote]Is admitting that God is a mystery just an admittance that we really do not know God or understand His nature?[/quote]
We understand His nature insofar as we are capable of understanding it. However, Him being infinite and all, there's a whole lot beyond our understanding and that's waaaaaaay more than we do understand. In some sense, it's similar to the difference between a little child seeing a Michelangelo fresco compared to an accomplished artist seeing the same fresco. The child just sees the surface image, whereas the artist sees order, form, composition, color usage, interplay of characters, brushwork, etc. in addition to the raw image. Is the image any different? No, but the understanding is night and day. Obviously, we'd be the child and God would be the accomplished artist in the comparison, only the difference would be infinitely greater between God and man.

[quote name='carrdero' post='1288576' date='Jun 5 2007, 08:11 AM']There has been at least one time in your life that you have heard someone say that God is a Mystery or that the Lord works in mysterious ways. Does anyone agree with this?

Is admitting that God is a mystery just an admittance that we really do not know God or understand His nature?[/quote]

First of all, do I agree with the fact that the Lord works in mysterious ways? Yes. To us they are mysterious, because lets face it, you are no god. God is all knowing, He is infintely perfect. You are not. He created you. You do not understand Him, it is impossible.

[quote]Why would God keep things secret from humans or other entities? [/quote]Because, God conceals His works He does for you everyday, partly to protect you from the assaults of vanity. God has His reasons, perhaps it's not the time for you to know it. God wills whatever is best for you. You must believe, and TRUST, in Him, that He will lead you where you need to be if you follow Him. Only, things happen in unexpected ways when you ask His help. That is because your expectations aren't perfect. You do not know what you need, you know clearly what you want, but you don't know what you need. It takes allot of faith to trust in Him, but He asks it of us. Don't you think it is the least we can do?

[quote]Is it this mysterious quality that some people never become interested in God?[/quote]
I can never attempt to answer this question. The fact is, you cannot expect to know every aspect of God. He IS mysterious but only because we could not understand His perfection. You are relating God to a human, and that's hard to imagine. You cannot comprehend His ways because He is all knowing already, and you are not. Most likely the reason people don't become 'interested' in God is because of pride. But I cannot answer that question, God can.
[quote]Is admitting that God is a mystery just an admittance that we really do not know God or understand His nature?[/quote]
in a sense, yes, we do not understand God's nature. However, we do KNOW His nature, Divine. We do know God. We may not understand everything about Him, but we know Him. God expects three things of us, to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him. The least we can do, don't you think?

[quote name='carrdero' post='1288576' date='Jun 5 2007, 09:11 AM']There has been at least one time in your life that you have heard someone say that God is a Mystery or that the Lord works in mysterious ways. Does anyone agree with this?

Is admitting that God is a mystery just an admittance that we really do not know God or understand His nature?[/quote]

I think the answer is somewhere around the fact that God is more open that we see. In fact, he is probably infinitely open to us but we do not have the capacity to see it. Plain and simple. I like to think of the whole idea of creation and creator to Lewis' analogy of the tin soldier. The soldier can not understand the complexity of the creator, or even what the creator wants to do with the soldier next. No, God does not play games with us, but it is nevertheless a practical analogy of what we are to God. To take it further, the creator came in a form of tin to save the tin soldiers. What a mysterious grace that is!

[quote name='Budge' post='1288610' date='Jun 5 2007, 11:03 AM']Sure there are things God knows that are a mystery...

1Cr 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known

But remember Christians are NOT stuck worshipping the "unknown" god. God can be known via His Word and Relationship with the Holy Spirit indwelling in the believer.[/quote]

That's some good stuff there, Budge. I'm seconding this one.

[quote name='scardella' post='1288701' date='Jun 5 2007, 01:59 PM']There's a quote: "If we always understood God, He wouldn't be God." or something similar... If God's foolishness is wiser than our wisdom, then it would follow that He has a "private life" utterly even beyond our capacity to understand.
We understand His nature insofar as we are capable of understanding it. However, Him being infinite and all, there's a whole lot beyond our understanding and that's waaaaaaay more than we do understand. In some sense, it's similar to the difference between a little child seeing a Michelangelo fresco compared to an accomplished artist seeing the same fresco. The child just sees the surface image, whereas the artist sees order, form, composition, color usage, interplay of characters, brushwork, etc. in addition to the raw image. Is the image any different? No, but the understanding is night and day. Obviously, we'd be the child and God would be the accomplished artist in the comparison, only the difference would be infinitely greater between God and man.[/quote]

I gotta agree with this one too. It's somewhat along the lines of what Budge had said. But, a little more there. Nice to have scripture around though for these discussions. (Thanks Budge ;))

God (the Most Holy Trinity) is a mystery, not because He hides His true nature from us, or deceives us, but because His Divine Nature is beyond what we puny humans are capable of fully understanding.
A God we humans could understand perfectly would not be much of a God.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1288663' date='Jun 5 2007, 09:57 AM']Aprophatism?[/quote]

Not in the least bit, just know that if there is no way of knowing [such as with the Eucharist] it's best that we don't speculate.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1288940' date='Jun 5 2007, 08:27 PM']God (the Most Holy Trinity) is a mystery, not because He hides His true nature from us, or deceives us, but because His Divine Nature is beyond what we puny humans are capable of fully understanding.
A God we humans could understand perfectly would not be much of a God.[/quote]

Agreed.

God is Infinity. Infinity is a name of God. We weak men are finite and can never fully comprehend God and His mysteries. Not even Christ's Human mind can, nor the Blessed Virgin can fully comprehend God and the mysteries of Divine Revelation.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]I think the answer is somewhere around the fact that God is more open that we see. In fact, he is probably infinitely open to us but we do not have the capacity to see it. Plain and simple.[/quote]

Oh, how I love Aquinas. :)

I would also add that 'mystery' in this context does not mean 'a riddle that we can't solve' or 'a secret that shouldn't be told'. Think of mystery as wonderment. God's love for me is a Mystery. Contrary to what certain militant atheists have claimed, I don't say this because I have no hard proof of this love, but because it inspires a wonder in me that is greater than myself.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1288818' date='Jun 5 2007, 05:02 PM']I think the answer is somewhere around the fact that God is more open that we see. In fact, he is probably infinitely open to us but we do not have the capacity to see it. Plain and simple. I like to think of the whole idea of creation and creator to Lewis' analogy of the tin soldier. The soldier can not understand the complexity of the creator, or even what the creator wants to do with the soldier next. No, God does not play games with us, but it is nevertheless a practical analogy of what we are to God. To take it further, the creator came in a form of tin to save the tin soldiers. What a mysterious grace that is![/quote]

Exactly. Something I failed to mention, we are blind to what God DOES reveal to us most of the time. Not always because of pride, but because we are too weak.

God's love will always be a source of wonder.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts: nor your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are exalted above the earth, so are my ways exalted above your ways, and my thoughts above your thoughts.
(Isaiah 55:8-9)